BMW Magazines

Anything that doesn't fit the other categories. Direct link: How to post photos and videos
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

BMW Magazines

Post by Jeroen »

All magazines worldwide are suffering from the digital ages. Sales and subscription numbers have dropped dramatically over the past decade and people are not willing to pay for a digital version as most info can be found on the net for free at some point. Even though I am very glad that magazines like Evo, Classic & Sportscar and Octane are still doing ok, the magazines with a more narrow focus like brand magazines are off far worse and that is of course also the case with BMW magazines.

A few years back Kelsey Publishing sold Total BMW to Unity Media, the publisher of BMW Car. They merged both magazines into a new and improved BMW Car Magazine, with a beautiful end result and AFAIK a viable operation as well. However, BMW Car was sold to Kelsey late last year and they are now taking a close look at the future of the magazine. Since they bought the title I suppose they want to keep it alive, but in the long run they may integrate it into their newly launched German Classics Magazine. Of course we hope not as by then there won't be much left apart from club magazines, at least when it comes to the classic stuff! Why? well US based Bimmer Magazine are closing as well, and BMW Scene, Performance BMW and the likes cater for a completely different audience. That doesn't leave much alternatives I believe?

Personally I have worked for Total BMW and BMW Car for the 15 years or so (and some other magazines on the side) and even though I don't have to make a living off it, it would be nice if I can keep contributing to what looks like the only decent BMW Magazine left. Time will tell!

Regards/groeten, Jeroen