Experience with MSD anyone?

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '77 EU 316 (2.0 - manual/dogleg - lsd)

Experience with MSD anyone?

Post by petroscf »

I have strongly been advised by a technician (whom I consider to be a real expert) to add an MSD ignition (or ignition amplifier, something like that)
This is something I have also seen been proposed in some 2002ti or tii web sites for the M10 engine
Anyone has any experience with this?

/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
brockzila
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 320/6 1982,

Re: Experience with MSD anyone?

Post by brockzila »

I worked for the MSD agent here in NZ.

You will be looking for a 6AL. But I'm sure there is more.in the range now specifically for 4cylinder.

It's will greatly increase your spark out put and also give you a soft cut rev limiter.

Very very common upgrade on American cars.
brockzila
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brockzila »

You also need to get a blaster 2 coil and a set of matching leads. The are very specific in what leads they need but I can't recall if it's high or low resistance
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Yes, I have already ordered the 6AL, and blaster 2 coil from the dealer here

I am not sure about leads though, they told me from the dealer that I wont probably need (as I told them I already have some performance leads, from magnecor)

What should I expect from it, when fitted?
Will better spark give some of the lost smoothness (in idle for example) due to twin webers? And maybe a bit better (=lower) consumption figures?
This is the actual reason I decided to fit the msd, and not even better 0-100 km/h, as the car is fast enough for my style (well, for now!! - lol)
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Interested in the background of this, as I can't believe the E21's ignition has major shortcomings, especially the later breakerless electronic versions. If you have a proper and pretty fresh set of components (dizzy, coil, cap, rotor, leads) and its timed correctly, you still need (or can use) a stronger spark? Where are the gains? Indeed a stronger spark, a different advance/retard, or?
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

I don't know exactly the technical background, may be brockzilla can give a more accurate reply into this
However, I have seen in websites about 2002 ti -tii upgrades (and I actually now am running a 2002ti engine) can see much gain from a combination of tii centrifugal distributor/better leads/electronic ignition/msd
Also talked about this with a friend mechanic who set up the webers for me (he is said to be one of the best here in Greece in carb set ups) and he told me that it will give better throttle response, and also that he will set the carbs a bit differently with the msd on
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
brockzila
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brockzila »

Check your leads and confirm they are correct.

http://www.msdperformance.com/
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

I just sent an email to Magnecor (producer of my current leads) - hope news are good
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
TopCat
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 1980 Alpina B6 2.8
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/timothy.c.boles

Post by TopCat »

wonderful for US v8s - we know

great experience
Regards
Topcat
Isle of Man Inverness
1980 BMW E21 Alpina B6 2.8
1991 BMW E30 Hartge H26
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Answer is yes (about magnecor leads compatibility)
Now let's hope that money for the msd is not just wasted
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Received the parts
(When will I find the time to fit them is another question)

Should I have also ordered the tacho adapter? A friend with a 1602 who fitted the 6AL said that his RPM gauge was not working and that this adapter (sold separately by msd) is required in order to have the instrument working again
The guy who suggested me to order the msd, (and who is going to fit it and set it up for me) suggested that I not order the adapter as he said that my car rpm instrument (connections I guess he meant?) may be different than older 1602 one, so this might work. So he said let's wait and see what happens, and if it doesn't then I could order later
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Fitted the msd ignition the day before

Seems to have added some torque, and throttle response, and maybe some fuel economy (?) but due to lack of time, it is still a bit early for conclusions, need some more km to say...
The problem is that the same day, the mechanic decided to rejet my webers (from 32mm to 38mm venturis if I am right) so I can't easily say what adds what and how much each, to the car...

Unfortunately I haven't yet solved the problem with posting pics on here, will definitely come back to this asap

Oh by the way, no issues with my tacho (early 316 one) at all, works fine
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
e21kervin
Newbee
My E21(s): 82 315 m10 gearbox 5th

Post by e21kervin »

petroscf wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:16 am Fitted the msd ignition the day before

Seems to have added some torque, and throttle response, and maybe some fuel economy (?) but due to lack of time, it is still a bit early for conclusions, need some more km to say...
The problem is that the same day, the mechanic decided to rejet my webers (from 32mm to 38mm venturis if I am right) so I can't easily say what adds what and how much each, to the car...

Unfortunately I haven't yet solved the problem with posting pics on here, will definitely come back to this asap

Oh by the way, no issues with my tacho (early 316 one) at all, works fine
Hi,

Is the installation with the manual of 6al??? or anything different?
I have a 315 with solex phh 40mm
I have a 6al and I'll like to install that.

:thnx
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Hi, yes it is the manual 6AL.
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

I understand your question is on the tacho adapter connection, I saw your question last evening in the fb, right?

I think there is an issue with some 02 cars and then the adapter is needed in order to work fine. I have no great technical knowledge to understand this, my car is early 316 and it works fine - not sure however where the tacho is connected. Distributor is (afaik) centrifugal from 2002tii with a hot spark electronic ignition instead of points if this helps.

In anyway, I also had the same question before fitting the ignition but mechanic suggested not to order the adapter, and we would order it after fitting if needed. (In the meantime I would have no tacho for some time until the part arrived). So this was the idea, but it worked

I know this is only a guess, but if you ask me, I would bet that it will work without issues on your car which is newer model with electronic ignition from factory
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever