Tyre query

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
healeyneil
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): '81 318is Baur - ahead of its time !

Tyre query

Post by healeyneil »

Ive got Toyo 205-50 R15s on the back of my Baur - fairly standard fare these days I think. Last weekend I got caught out big time exiting a roundabout which was wet and probably greasy. I caught it and overcorrected and ended up on the wrong side of the road. I was not pushing hard - even my wife agreed with that one - and Ive been thinking about it since. As these cars started out with 185-70 R13s would that offer better wet weather grip ? Obviously the rear is pretty light, so is 205 width too much. Ive still got my steel wheels so Im tempted to try them ( also the comparatively high side wall would smooth the ride on our abysmal road surfaces )
Any thoughts please ?
Neil

Mihajlo
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 1982 315swap323i

Re: Tyre query

Post by Mihajlo »

standard height car or lowered?
if lowered, check out your camber
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Tyre query

Post by Jeroen »

I've always felt that 15's take away a lot of body roll over the average 13" tyre making the car more stable and balanced. However, these cars are pretty tail happy so when driving in the wet, better make sure you use a tyre that is not too old (check DOT date of manufacture code), correct pressure and a proper alignment indeed as well. To my experience the most common Toyo tyres T1-R and T1-S aren't too special in the wet.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen