Exhaust Gas Analyzer

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
runsub5
E21 starter
My E21(s): Original US 1979 320i Manual 4 speed

Exhaust Gas Analyzer

Post by runsub5 »

I am looking for a meter that will measure fuel/air ratio. I think that a carbon monoxide analyzer will do this indirectly. Anyone have experience with a Gunson Gas analyzer? I am considering purchasing one for both my 320i and Porsche 911 with mechanical fuel injection. Are there any other units that are possibly better?

David
Wilmo
E21 Mad

Re: Exhaust Gas Analyzer

Post by Wilmo »

An option can be to do it through an Innovate O2 sensor which you mount in a tube and stick the tube in the back of the exhaust.

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

That screams for more info Wilmo! Is this an affordable solution?

The best way would probably be a full exhaust gas analyzer (CO, CO2, HC, Lambda, AFR, etc) from Sun and the likes, but these are bloody expensive and require annual maintenance and calibration. I currently use one of these Gunson units as they are affordable, but the values this machine is generating are only indicative even though they haven't been too far off sofar. You learn to work with it and get a feel for what the CO reading is going to be and it gives you at least a ballpark figure at a low price.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Wilmo
E21 Mad

Post by Wilmo »

Unfortunately in Dutch and some Photopucket problems:
http://bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... er#p268421

And in the digital meter topic:
http://bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 90#p267096
runsub5
E21 starter
My E21(s): Original US 1979 320i Manual 4 speed

Post by runsub5 »

Jeroen wrote:That screams for more info Wilmo! Is this an affordable solution?

The best way would probably be a full exhaust gas analyzer (CO, CO2, HC, Lambda etc) from Sun and the likes, but that does require annual maintenance and calibration. I currently use one of these Gunson units as they are affordable, but the values this machine is generating are only indicative even though they haven't been too far off sofar. You learn to work with it and get a feel for what the CO reading is going to be and it gives you at least a ballpark figure at a low price.
Thanks Jeroen. You are right about the value of a unit like Sun. I just can't justify spending that much money on something that will not be used very often. I may try the Gunson.
David