Dellorto Carbs - who has experience, should I or should't I?

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
ZenderE21
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): '82 318i

Dellorto Carbs - who has experience, should I or should't I?

Post by ZenderE21 »

Hi again,

My build is going to get rid of the lethargic K-Jet on the old 318i and until 30mins ago I was plotting my budget on an order from Irelands until I spotted a pair of DHLA 40s plus the Ireland Eng manifold on ebay for starting price AUD$450. Am watching. The ireland eng manifold is USD$250 alone so if this can be bought for 500 mark Im already well ahead. Needs a linkage setup but ive found a local mob who have parts for reasonable price.

So Ive never used them before, I know of people who have and alike webbers have had mixed results. I understand they are never set and forget and can live with that, just want to get to a point where seasonally may have to adjust jetting etc. Can anyone share some light on how they are to live with, bare in mind this car will never see daily duties.

Cheers, Ash

1983 318i - Sapphireblau Metallic, 5spd
shadyracer01
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 323i '82 Y x2, 1 in resto, 1 now spares

Re: Dellorto Carbs - who has experience, should I or should'

Post by shadyracer01 »

I dont know how practical reverting to carbs would be on your 318i but I have an alfasud 1.5ti with 2 x drla 38 dellortos on, with pancake filters and its been utterly reliable and quite economical on motorway runs. But in real life the sound of the induction roar from the flat four boxer engine is so glorious that it becomes addictive, so fuel economy suffers.
Only issue Ive ever had with the carbs has been blocked idle jet and aged gaskets, if set up properly should be easy to live with.
Would love to have them on my 323i..
Peter V.
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 320/6

Re: Dellorto Carbs - who has experience, should I or should'

Post by Peter V. »

I am currently refurbishing a VGS 320-6 set of webers for my E21 320. The switch to carbs from the injection 318i is not so difficult, make sure you have the right fuelpressure regulator because the carbs need less pressure then the injectionset ofcourse. It is indeed the sound that makes it perfect, in my case the M20 engine with triple webers :thumbsup
Gr Peter V.

.Some say he eats nuts and bolts for breakfast, all we know is he is called the carburetorman.

BMW E21, 1981 320/6 Ascot Grau.
BMW E85, 2004 Z4 2.5i Sterling Grau.
BMW F31, 2017 320dA EDE Luxuryline Mineral Grau.