For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
bealo
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): 83 316 1.8
82 320/6

New hubs??

Post by bealo »

Hi all,

On removing my brake discs (front) I couldn’t remove the securing screw on the drivers side.

I didn’t have any drill bits to hand to drill it out so I cut the disc around the bolt to remove it

It’s left a couple of scores about 2/3mm deep on the hub, should it be replaced or nothing to worry about??

Cheers Iain

You can't polish a turd.... but you can roll it in glitter!!!!
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: New hubs??

Post by Jeroen »

Hi, well the securing screw is only to keep the disc from falling off when changing a wheel, so even if you were to leave the last bit of the bolt in there and not secure the disc you will be fine.

Sad that you encounter these issue so often. People thinking these need to be tightened with 1000+ Nm or that it's a good thing to refit a beat up bolt while new ones are dead cheap, in most cases they even come free with a new set of discs!

Still, I think I'd try to use some WD40, hammer a flat screwdriver on the remains of the bolt and try to get some movement in it. Maybe you get lucky!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
bealo
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): 83 316 1.8
82 320/6

Post by bealo »

I got the bolt out in the end but wasn’t sure if the scores on the hub from cutting the brake disc off were an issue or not??

Iain
You can't polish a turd.... but you can roll it in glitter!!!!
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Ah that's what you were aiming at. Don't think that's a risk, especially for the disc bolt.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen