For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
e21paddy
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 320/6 1981

Bavaria S stereo - with a slight twist

Post by e21paddy »

Hello all,

I have a Bavaria S radio currently in the car, which has an auxiliary output out the back?

I have enclosed a diagram of the back with what I think are the connections.

It currently has very poor reception, even with the aerial up, and volume is verrrry low. And I am unsure as to how the six function can be enable! Has anyone ever seen this before ? There are after market speakers in the door cards, and rear shelf. Unsure how they’re wired

uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Re: Bavaria S stereo - with a slight twist

Post by uwbuurman »

OMG, what kind of a person creates crap like this?

The purple wire is the Plus. Needs to be protected, now it is blank. Your speaker wires are not connected with a jack, bit just put in two holes, but those are for 2 speakers. Also not covered, so the must interfear, hence the bad noice/ crappy sound. Speaker wires are NOT to be connected with that plastic connector block. Get rid of that. Buy the proper jacks.

The green/yellow wire is some sort of ground wire, but the brown one is in fact the ground in the right spot

Airial is correct

If you tidy up this mess, insulate the plus/power wire, take out that plastic connector block and install two proper jack on the speaker wires, it will be better.

Using the speakerwires like they are now, can cause the speaker outs/ports on the radio toblow up. Hope that this is not the case yet.

Let us know how your findings are
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Well, you're close! The nut in the center is not a ground but for fitting the radio in a bracket (example below on a slightly different model, but not mandatory). The brown wire is negative/ground and the way it is hooked up appears to be ok, purple is plus and also ok by the looks of it. Makes me wonder where the yellow and green chassis wire goes! A second ground connection? The big black connector is a din connector that can indeed add an auxiliary input.

Loudspeakers: most of these models have two loudspeaker outputs, another one next to the one that is currently being used, pls check. It appears that one speaker output is now being split for 2 speakers, pls check wiring, also behind the speakers, and make sure the speakers are not driven through ground but are using the two wires from the radio.

If the radio has traffic info (VF/DK/SDK) pls check if its not switched on, either separate button or by pulling out the colume control knob.

Antenna: you defo need to have the antenna extended for a decent reception and if that does not do the trick it may be caused by bad wiring, or by a bad center pin connection inside the radio (if you have a very small screwdriver you can try to pry it a bit making the connection a bit more tight.

Bottom line: I've worked with many of these radio's and they're pretty much bomb proof, have pretty powerful amps and FM reception usually is pretty strong so in first instance I'd look into the wiring.

Another model I had on my bench recently looks pretty similar, is missing the separate ground connection but has this located right next to the +. Both should work in a similar way.

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21paddy
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 320/6 1981

Post by e21paddy »

uwbuurman wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:11 am OMG, what kind of a person creates crap like this?

If you tidy up this mess, insulate the plus/power wire, take out that plastic connector block and install two proper jack on the speaker wires, it will be better.

Using the speakerwires like they are now, can cause the speaker outs/ports on the radio toblow up. Hope that this is not the case yet.

Let us know how your findings are
I hear your frustration, this is how I got it unfortunately from the previous owner. He also added these (dis) tasteful speakers mods.

@Jeroen, how is the Aux usually activated? This is the front of the radio

I will adjust the terminals on the radio like you guys have noted, and revert back soon! Thank you for the help as always!
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

great!! Good to read that Jeroen and I say the same in a different way :bag

Good luck with sorting this out.

The aux cable can be run into the glovebox, looks better ;-)
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

hahaha only noticed your response after posting mine

eeeeekkkk chopping up door cards... that calls for capital punishment!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen