Tearing front suspension mount bearing

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
l3v4rt
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): '80 316 manual - Alpinweiss

Tearing front suspension mount bearing

Post by l3v4rt »

Hi everyone!

I had my e21 on Bilstein B8 and H&R -35mm kit for about two years now and I had my previous top suspension mount tearing so I bought new ones. After about 400km I've started to see some tear and after about 2000km the drivers side loks really, really bad. I've seen photos of new ones on wallothnnesch and even those look bad on photos, I ordered new ones and checked the min the store and the rubber was old and had cracks.

So - what are the solutions? I will fit PU bushing everywhere and I'd like to sort this out. I was thinking maybe using camberplates? I've seen SilverProject sells them for abour 100€ and a few versions like GroundControl, CA Tuned. Any reccomendations? I'm from central europe so I don't fancy spending more on shipping and tax than plates from US. Thanks!

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Tearing front suspension mount bearing

Post by Jeroen »

Sounds like you got some antique top mounts, no other suspension parts are going to prevent that from happening. However, something else may have contributed and that's the sequence of fitting all the o-rings on both sides of the bearings. With the entire strut assembled the top bearing should turn freely. If not, the sequence is incorrect and you're turning on the bushing instead of the bearing, which can also cause weat. Personally I don't see PU as a solution to anything on a street car.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
l3v4rt
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by l3v4rt »

Hi Jeroen! Thnks for the reply. I have bought KYB top mount with bearing and it started tearing really fast. I'll post the picture but the part was new and this is the current state after I thin kabout 2000km. In the store we ordered Meyle part as well and the rubber was visably bad quallity. Do you reccomend going to the officieal dealer or what? I don't want camberplates with ballbearing and having it cracking. I'll post some pics of the state.

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Meyle is the worst rubbish available on the market today, I would definitely recommend OEM from the dealer. And make sure it's spinning freely!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
l3v4rt
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by l3v4rt »

Thanks! I'm planning on buying from the BMW official dealer and make sure to keep the reciept so I can use warranty if it tears like these.