Hardeman Motorsport - motorsport parts and diff specialist

Gaydon 2012 - August 19th

Direct links: 2019 calendar & reports ; All previous event reports (-2018)
Post Reply
User avatar
AndyBaur
E21 Fanatic
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:10 pm
My E21(s): 1983 320/6 Baur 5-speed (now gone)
Location: 55* North

Re: Gaydon 2012 - August 19th

Post by AndyBaur » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:53 am

nas80 wrote:Gaydon is such a waste of time really . . . Its all about boring bmws and nothing else..
I dunno - my 500SL was quite a conversation piece :whistle

It all depends what you want to get from it. If you just want to wander around looking at the cars then yes, the Classic Show at the NEC is better. I had rather given up on Gaydon but as registrar for the E24 section I had to attend & always end up talking E24's all day long which is much better than just looking. It would have been nice to have added some E21 chat to the mix.

It is what you make it.


AndyS

Live each day as if it's your last because one day it will be.

User avatar
nas80
E21 Mad
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:12 am
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Gaydon 2012 - August 19th

Post by nas80 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:49 am

Mobster wrote:
nas80 wrote:Its all about boring bmws and nothing else.. .
At a BMW show, yea I see your point. :D
Ultimate driving machines not being driven. Apart from a few who paid for it.. Yep. I just think static shows are just lacking because its like looking at pictures of cars on the internet but in real life. yes we get to meet other bmw owners.. Would have met one person from here I didn't already know had I gone this year...

Last year the highlight of gaydon was the epic journey to the show. I can't tell you too much but I fully utilised the performance of my ultimate driving machine. anyway it wasn't the show.. The car park had some gems while the main show was just full of e30 M3s.
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]

User avatar
Jeroen
Site Admin
Posts: 25854
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:23 pm
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Gaydon 2012 - August 19th

Post by Jeroen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:59 am

nas80 wrote:...Ultimate driving machines not being driven...
:lol: Agree, but that's a matter of taste I guess. I usually do one meeting of that sort and I'd like it to be special: enough cars and special cars. And it's not called a meeting for nothing: it's a great way of meeting many other BMW fanatics. Here in Holland, the Sharknose Meeting fits that purpose perfectly. Every once in a while I attend a combined M3 and Alpina meeting that takes place abt every other year here, also because there special cars and nice people.

Other than that, the bmwe21.net meetings here always have some activity added. Usually it's a drive in a beautiful area combined with lunch or dinner, but we also visit interesting sites like an engine overhaul business that's giving demos on all the work they do. I kinda quit doing frequent parking lot chats over 20 years ago :)

Still, here in Holland there's not much interest in a trackday from within the E21 community, but we may do some advanced driving training in the near future.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen

We want your contributions in our E21 Facebook Group! Join, like, post & share!

Mobster

Re: Gaydon 2012 - August 19th

Post by Mobster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:21 am

nas80 wrote:
Mobster wrote:
nas80 wrote:Its all about boring bmws and nothing else.. .
At a BMW show, yea I see your point. :D
The car park had some gems while the main show was just full of e30 M3s.
It was the 25 year anniversary of the e30 m3 last year.

User avatar
nas80
E21 Mad
Posts: 2975
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:12 am
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Gaydon 2012 - August 19th

Post by nas80 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:46 am

Please stop partially quoting me when I'm trying to explain something not very well.

Mobster lol. You make me laugh man. When is the last time you did any of that going to a show stuff. I've NEVER seen your e21s in the three years I've been a member.

This is what its about for me

Make sure your mates are going to come with you.
Make sure your car is tidy
Get up the crack of dawn
Drive like a lunatic with your mates or just cruise
Talk all day to your mates you hardly see
Drive like a lunatic back.

Notice I don't mention anything about the show itself.

Jeroen knows what I mean. He's a show veteran and what its about isn't actually these shows. Its the whole ceremony. sharknose meet is different you can get high legally out there. Not to mention the pretty countryside. Anyway that would be a holiday too because there's a ferry involved and you can go to the ring too if you wanted.

There were only 4 that showed up to this years gaydon inc one in the carpark?!

Us UK e21 owners are always fixing our cars or just lazy or don't bother. Its a shame that. I only like e21s and other old school boomers. any other bmw with its plastic bumpers just doesn't get my love..
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]

Mobster

Re: Gaydon 2012 - August 19th

Post by Mobster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 am

Its each to their own mate, some people like walking round looking at BMW's all day long and others want a bit of action. Every year i have been, i have throughly enjoyed it.

Anyway, you dont need to take your car to a show to enjoy it, and if you are that keen to see my car, i live 2 mins from the NEC :D, in fact i remember inviting you round for dinner if you were going to come to Gaydon.

Post Reply