Direct links: 2023 Calendar & reports ; All previous event reports
TopCat
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 1980 Alpina B6 2.8
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/timothy.c.boles

Re: Manx Classic 2014

Post by TopCat »

I have to say this event was amazing!

First of all the entry- 35 pre war cars - Fraser Nashes, Bugattis and some very interesting moderns - a 750 bhp pikes peak evo mistubishi 4wd that 4wd puma 650 bhp kitcar

I was up against a new 530 bhp 1964 mustang - very light and some hot pre 81 Morgans v8s

We had a new event Creg Wylley's (Glen Helen area) which was amazing

Lots of You Tube to follow

The event was not without drama
which seemed to centre mostly around Triumph TRs
tr4 blew its engine big style on startline at Creg Willeys
another TR4 fell over at waterworks on Lhegy Frissell ending up 100 ft below parapet resting on tree just before the sea
TR7V8 got it wrong and frightened 4x spectators in powerslide=- taken to hospital briefly and then released!
A Caterham well driven by a senior IOM civil servant upturned at Creg Willeys - might have been axle failure

We had a full house plus - more to follow once downloads work etc! Jeroen pse add pix of what I hav sent u so far- my Flickr has issues!
Last edited by TopCat on Sun May 25, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards
Topcat
Isle of Man Inverness
1980 BMW E21 Alpina B6 2.8
1991 BMW E30 Hartge H26
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Evenful Manx it was then! I only received one pic that appeared to be corrupted so I can't help out yet, looking forward to pics and vids! How did you do yourself? Any interesting BMW action?
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
TopCat
E21 Pro

Post by TopCat »

I am having more success with the youtube downloads- not photos
Jeroen will sort these out hopefully

not a week for the German tech cars! No BMWs - both mega Audi Pikes Peak (modern monsters) broke on first event turbo and gearbox
respectively
so here goes:

1 I managed to win the Governor's Bridge event with this run- sadly didn't quite manage to beat the Cobra's record set last year (different conditions etc!)

2 The new Creg Willey was simply amazing trip! hit 140 mph through the speed gun at the end (in the air!)

managed to win this one too! had a bit of a moment after Glen Helen pub- had a serious problem later on as I ran into a pile of engine smoke from the Mustang- you can hear the lift off- oil dropped all over his exhaust- I thought he had spun just around the corner- no sign of him so got on the gas later on. This has got to be one of the best drives anywhere everywhere.

here goes:

More to follow with the Lhergy Frissell H/C when downloaded

edit now downloaded the Lhergy Frissell event; damp practice makes for a lairy ride in Butch! we won this one as well by hundredths over the 530 bhp 64 Mustang!
Last edited by TopCat on Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Regards
Topcat
Isle of Man Inverness
1991 BMW E30 Hartge H26
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Edited your video links so you only have the code in between brackets (use edit to check what I did), impressive material!

Here's a few pics that did make it across the pond lol

I'll leave the story up to you Tim!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
TopCat
E21 Pro

Post by TopCat »

Thanks Jeroen for sorting out the pictures!

The thrills and spills added to the excitement- the Caterham guy went to hospital for an op to reattach tendons to his elbow- it was outside the rollcage when he went over

the 4 x spectators were later released from hospital without serious issues.

The guy with the TR4 that went literally over the edge at Waterworks - the trees stopped it dropping into the sea off the cliff was badly shaken up; but he said he will reshell the car and be back

The BRDC driver - Nick Cussins whose TR4 blew its engine so spectacularly had already ordered a new one before the event

The trick to all this I have come to realise is to stick with it; never take risks and just do enough to beat the others.

We used the Toyo 888rs which are only 235/50/15 as wets on Saturday and therefore quite a lot lower than the 245/50/15 Hoosiers- meant my trip back with child was scraping the exhaust on the road in clouds of sparks

Went to a WSM party- the current memeber of the family lives on IOM - where they were built in period (and raced at Le Mans)

At the prizegiving ceremony all was going well until the desk yours truly was sitting on collapsed in the middle of the prizegiving!! I sent one of my small boys to collect the prize (since I was pretty embarressed)! Jeroen has promised to post up the other pictures I have sent him since my flickr account is not working.

If you guys come next year- be sure to get your entry in early and in a pre 81 car; we might put the moderns on hold.............. several classics were turned away
Regards
Topcat
Isle of Man Inverness
1991 BMW E30 Hartge H26
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Wish this was closer to my home! Anyway, here's a few more pics from TopCat

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
TopCat
E21 Pro

Post by TopCat »

The above pictures show some of the amAzing pre war cars out there- As well as my 13 year old at the wheel of Roddie Feilden's lovely Morgan Plus 8

I guess I should have photographed the more modern monsters- after the Audi Pikes Peak things both broke on day one- it left the way ahead for a 750 bhp Mitsubishi Evo Thing to blitz the records- fresh back from Pikes Peak as well.
Just goes to show that the way to go is to stick to classics or your momnet of glory is forever going to be eclipsed by something else with more £ and development money- that Evo had around £500,000 in it and it might be worth £80k!
Mark Higgins was demo running in a US spec brand new Subaru- giving him much needed practice before his new attempt on the record in the summer during TT. Not sure we were allowed to photograph it since it is a prototype (sounded horrid!).

I made an attempt to film the cars returning from the Ramsey Run- gives you an idea of the wacky machinery (chain gang) in the pre war section:
Regards
Topcat
Isle of Man Inverness
1991 BMW E30 Hartge H26
TopCat
E21 Pro

Post by TopCat »

Just picked up July 2014 edition of Classic Cars

to find a great report on Manx Classic on page 26

(along with a picture of the winning classic car!!!).................
Regards
Topcat
Isle of Man Inverness
1991 BMW E30 Hartge H26
Jeroen
Site Admin

Re: Prescott Hillclimb French spectacular 2014 MAY 25

Post by Jeroen »

Not sure where to post this but since Butch is mentioned and pictured in this thread I though I'd add it here...

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
TopCat
E21 Pro

Post by TopCat »

I thought I would post up my great rival - a really quick 65 Mustang with v loud exhaust and 530 bhp from a recently imported 12.50:1 compression stroker motor from the States:

the times were closer than I would have liked (and next year we will get my slow 3 to 2 gear sorted!!) sounds much better from in car than Butch!

Regards
Topcat
Isle of Man Inverness
1991 BMW E30 Hartge H26