My 82 316 Restoration begins!

JokerCooper
Upcoming E21 fanatic

My 82 316 Restoration begins!

Post by JokerCooper »

Hi guys,

Just thought I would share with you my restoration project.

I took the car up to the mechanic over the weekend who's going to be carrying out the welding work for me. As you can see there's a bit of cosmetic welding required but he assured me he has worked on far poorer examples before.

http://s1034.photobucket.com/albums/a429/Jokercooper/

The welding work that's getting carried out is:

Small hole inside the boot below the fuel pipe. Apart from that the whole boot is fine.
Both rear wheel arches.
Both side seals, inside seals are both fine so that was a relief!
Replacement front wings &
The panel that holds the front light in place, don't know the name sorry... that is prob the worst part of the car.

Once the body work is completed I'm onto the internal bits. I'm changing the track rod ends as their a bit worn. Bleeding the radiator and fixing the binding brakes.

After all the other bits and pieces are finished she's getting a lovely coat of fresh paint, freshly polished bumpers and wheels and to finish her off I'm going to get some beautiful new BMW badges.

I'll add more pics each weekend as I go along...

:D

Alan
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Alan »

Good work fella :D

The old girl used to be my daily drive for a short while. Good to see its gone to a good home :P

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Al.
m3gaz
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): looking

Post by m3gaz »

Are you going for the same colour?And what about the wheels,something a little less......beige? :wink:
There's one out there with my name on it.
Pho21_girl
E21 Pro

Post by Pho21_girl »

Wow totally stripped in those pics! Can't believe how quick the guy did the work for you.
Defo lose the beige wheels when it all starts coming together...maybe restore them to shiny goodness? 8)
Am so glad I can watch the work now!
Hannah x
www.hannahdollimore.co.uk
JokerCooper
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by JokerCooper »

Hi guys, I'm sticking with the dark blue, I think it works really nicely on the e21 body shape. As for the wheels, yes I'm planning on going back to the original colour and if poss even getting them polished too... :) The mechanic has finished the welding work so he's going to send them over tonight so hopefully be loading them up first thing tomorrow morning, cant wait to see her!
JokerCooper
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by JokerCooper »

latest pics uploaded into photobucket. That's all the welding work now complete, just the brakes and the radiator to finish then she'll be off to the sprayers... :)
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

wow, your welding man doesnt stop off for many coffee breaks does he!? 8)
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
JokerCooper
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by JokerCooper »

I know, I could believe it when he phoned to say it was finish.. top bloke :)
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

+1 for the blue paint and polished MiMs. Should look lovely once finished!
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

are you getting new mims or polishing those ones? i onl say this as they are not genuine mims and if you gonna spend lots o monies polishing those might be better off getting some genuine ones. got a can of wheel spray ready for u aswell when there done ;)
JokerCooper
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by JokerCooper »

aaahhh ok, didn't realise they weren't genuine. I was planning on using these ones, don't mind if their not the real ones, they'll still look the dogs bo****ks when their finished. Cheers for the heads up though :D
Mobster

Post by Mobster »

My pal has done wonders with your car, it can even do wheelies now. I was at my mates place over the weekend and he really has done an excellent job, all credit to him, your car will be solid when it leaves his place. BTW, he did comment that whoever did the DIY work on the car is invited to go and see him so he can show them how it is really done. I'm assuming it was the owner before Hannah ?
Pho21_girl
E21 Pro

Post by Pho21_girl »

Aww love the pic! Hmm DIY work you say? lol well it wasn't me...coulda been the guys though depending on which bits you mean...
Hannah x
www.hannahdollimore.co.uk
Mobster

Post by Mobster »

Well the webber carb for starters.
JokerCooper
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by JokerCooper »

Hi mate, nice pic. I'm impressed with the weelie too. Think I'll have to repaint her black and call her kit, but I'm not changing my name to Michael!

Cant wait to get her back, I was up the previous weekend and he has done an amazing job, I'm very grateful. Thinking about asking him to squeeze a 323 engine in there one day too.

I need to call you as I still have the door and boot, you free tonight for me to drop them off?