Lee's 82 e21 316 manual converted

LeeLee
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): E21 316 1981

Re: Lee's 82 e21 316 auto

Post by LeeLee »

E21 316 m10 auto to 5 speed manual conversion.
Tried to take some photos some are rubbish so apologise for those,Towed the e21 Friday after walking everywhere and hitching lifts for two weeks,Got the box and parts for conversion Saturday laid them all out back at my dads garage,Sunday at about 10 we started the conversion.
Parts we had include pedal set,master cylinder,two metal pipes,one flexi,original starter motor and bracket,flywheel,new clutch kit,prop,diff and 240 getrag 5 speed gearbox done 55000ish,gearbox oil,some black paint to tidy a few bits up and little tub of bolts screws and washers
First we fitted master,pedals and clutch fluid bottle,the pedals was fitted with pulling out one bolt removing old brake pedal and fitting both new ones,two springs and two bolts for brake master and clutch master was installed behind,the clutch master bolts are longer than the ones holding on the blanking plate but we had them so no problem there.
[URL=http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/leele ... c.jpg.html]Image
We undone the shifter
and some bolts we could get to from above before jacking up the car and putting on axel stands
The gearbox had oil cooler pipes that went to the radiator we cut them off and binned them. And found this tucked down there it goes into the old auto,overdrive? Kick down?
Ohwell it's all coming out anyways
We removed the exhaust middle section from the manifold,then removed the prop which was difficult diff side as there isn't a lot of room,we used a massive screwdriver to hold the middle joint still while undoing the bolts,prop removed we then attacked the gearbox bolts underneath,was a tad tight on the bulkhead,but came out quite easy with a little bang on the jack,Image
Once it was out we inspected ring gear and found the missing teeth,
Gearbox out it held a lot of oil!
Lucky the weather was very good this weekend
my dad (blue t shirt) and Garry gettin some lunch in
Next removed the ring gear and installed a new spigot bearing,installed the clutch kit,gearbox was given a clean and emptied of old oil
And filled with new oil,and installed with shifter still attached,
Once bolted in we started to plumb the slave
And did up the shifter plate,Image
Here it is attached
At this point Garry went,as we made him late enough,cheers again mate ;)
Next we installed the new prop
Installed the starter,Speedo drive
Bled the clutch.
Sealed and Re attacked exhaust
all that was left was to tell the car it's in drive and not in park/in gear and the reverse lights, inside the shifter area was,two wires to eliminate the auto shifter, a block plug with green blue and two brown wires.
We simply took the blue and green plugged them into the shifter reverse lights wire on the gearbox.
And joined the to brown together allowing the car to start and to be in permanently in drive.Image
It started up lovely at about 630
With the sound of a original starter motor much better sound ;)
We took it for a drive and it feels great,but I'm still getting used to it as I drive autos at work and had this for two years so Its very strange feeling lol even though I really dislike auto.had a few little drives around shifting on my way to work in her and felt good! Clutch feels good still getting used to biting point.tbh still feel nervous but we will see here's the end photo,on to carbs and wheels next ;)
Cheers for everyone's help and advice on here wouldn't have attempted it without peoples help so thanks e21 forum ;)
Last edited by LeeLee on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

brennon
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brennon »

Absolutely cracking work! Looks really good! Really impressive to get it done in a single day!

What did you do with the clutch resovior in the end? Did you find anything better than mine?
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Job well done! Cable prolly is auto box kick down cable indeed.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

Nice work! :thumbsup
alschux
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by alschux »

Good stuff!

Any problems getting the gearbox bolted up? Did you use a clutch alignment tool?

Got to put my box back in soon, going to try using the "stud method" with studs fitted into the back of the engine block to help me line things up
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Nice work!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
LeeLee
E21 Fanatic

Post by LeeLee »

Cheers guys ;)
We just pushed it on and put in the bolts while one of us put a hand on it.the alinement tool was a bit rubbish so we just used small and large socket and extension bar.
Bad photo but this is where we put the reservoir
Next I'm going to build my wheels and then fit my twin 40's!!
Little mock up of my wheels

LeeLee
E21 Fanatic

Post by LeeLee »

Work starts on the car today were swapping the m10 out for a better lower mileage one,
Me and the old man lifted the m10 out of the boot of are car with a plank over a shoulder and some straps
Pic of the car before early edition show
I used a 10 mm box section as a spacer to see how the front bbs will sit
And these are the rear wheels I've built :) can't wait for these to be fitted but they will wait till the engine is in and running today were taking out the old lump for the new lump,wish us luck!
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Hard work, good luck indeed! Love the wheels btw!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
LeeLee
E21 Fanatic

Post by LeeLee »

Well we started Saturday morning once we got a engine hoist,Image
had it finished buy Sunday afternoon.
we did lots of swapping parts between my engine and the new lump to get the best parts pained the block black and cleaned lots of parts and fitted a new water pump, we also painted some areas in the engine bay while we had access,
engine came out easy on the Saturday the unhappy little lump we pulled
we had the new engine ready to put in Saturday
but lost are patience and day light so we decided to wait till morning to finish.
found it a lot easier and useful to pick the engine up from the engine lifting eyes as it hangs just right once lifted,once it was in started plumbing it in
Filled with new oil and water for the rad and started it,
It didn't take to long to start
and automatically sounded better than my old headgasket blown manifold cracked engine,the only issue I've got is my old engine was weber converted and used a threaded accelerator cable and when I bought the cable had a weight on the carb end which I had to snip of where has the auto choke pierberg carb on the new engine uses the bit I snipped of so at the moment it's bodged on,also need a exhaust nut and new gasket just under the manifold as it has a slight leak,but that's it the temp seems to sit just right at half way it sounds a lot more healthy and the carb ticks over perfect
Thanks to Keith on here for the engine and his help and also to Garry on here for his help also
LeeLee
E21 Fanatic

Post by LeeLee »

Coops
Newbee
My E21(s): 83 316 manual

Post by Coops »

Looking great Lee,looking forward to seeing those new wheels fitted!
LeeLee
E21 Fanatic

Post by LeeLee »

Cheers coop me to it's really hard not spending money on getting them on but won't be long now
brennon
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brennon »

Comin along really well! I'm a fan! Love the pic without front number plate, think it really suits it! Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing what you're going to do next!!
LeeLee
E21 Fanatic

Post by LeeLee »

Cheers mate that means a lot!! I will have it without the plate as much as I can without getting nicked by old bill!! Lol
So much work has bin done to this car! Lol I can't wait to get wheels!!