Baur rebuildathon - ON THE ROAD

pistonheader
E21 Fanatic

Post by pistonheader »

Reck wrote:Hi! Newish Manc member here. Thought I'd pop in and say hello.

I would have liked to come down and help out tomorrow (absolute noob at the mech stuff, but I could have done an easy job..) but my exams are in a weeks time. Maybe I can make it next time. :)

Good luck!
you a student?

that makes at least 2 student E21 owners 8)

e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

F******g students!

3 mins 40
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

cars loaded up. guna set off about half 7. looking forward to stretching its legs over the pennines with no other cars out and about. 8)

drjim, is that deal still on for those wheels if i work really hard?
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
pistonheader
E21 Fanatic

Post by pistonheader »

RetroBeemer wrote:F******g students!

3 mins 40
:lol: steve coogan is a legend. alan partridge was brilliant!
pistonheader
E21 Fanatic

Post by pistonheader »

murran wrote:cars loaded up. guna set off about half 7. looking forward to stretching its legs over the pennines with no other cars out and about. 8)

i absolutely love it early in a weekend morning and there is no traffic about....you can just nail it. except, in my car i can't really do over 85 all he way cos the engine revs are too high for my liking :lol: don't like sitting at above 4k.

fastest long trip was perth (near dundee) to southampton (475 miles) in just under 4 hours after leaving at 11pm including fuel stop :lol: not in my E21 mind.... i wish!
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

murran wrote:cars loaded up. guna set off about half 7. looking forward to stretching its legs over the pennines with no other cars out and about. 8)

Wheels have Murran written on them.

I have been to get some supplies, sadly no burgers at shop - just sausages. Have some beer, coke, lemonade, crisps and mars bars. I think Jacko has a kettle and mugs at the unit, will bring tea/coffee/milk.

Must remember to put plasma cutter and my nuts/bolts boxes in the car. Will be annoying my neighbours by starting up the 103db slug early in the morning. Not sure what time it will be - guilt compels me to help sort out children/breakfast.

Murran if you are getting towards Mcr really early give me a bell, you may as well come to the house for a brew then we'll head down together.

Jim
1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

im packed - gonna leave here about 8am. should be there easily for 9am -im also looking forward to the drive!
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

just checking the thread then im off. see yo in a bit guys!
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

A good days work done on the Baur, sadly my camera had flat batteries so no pics. Jacko and Murran had cameras so hopefully some photo proof will be online shortly.

started the day at 9 with me and Nas debating where to start. He got stuck into the rear subframe, I attacked some grotty bits of engine bay and chopped out the battery tray. Murran and Jacko then arrived and while Murran hit the brake pipes, Jacko and I pulled off the bumper valence and wings.

Time seemed to rapidly fast forward, and our stomachs rumbled. I went off in my audi to collect some food type supplies and get the Slug. Just before I left there was discussion about whether to cut some coils out of the springs that were about to be assembled into my struts.

Returned, barbecued, we all did some donuts in the car park - Jacko won the award for most tyre smoke, Murran for best drifting. I was worried about breaking something, and Nas's 316 didn't really have the oomph to get spinning properly.

Front and rear subframes fitted to the car, brake pipes done, engine situation discussed - I still need a few bits for the motoronic conversion. Allegedly only two coils went from the springs while I was out.

Flying visit from the weekendhaslanded, although without an e21, and it was almost home time. I left the guys using the plasma to slot holes on Nas's spare subframe to fit his camber plates. Sadly I had to come home to assist with childrens dinner.

Big thanks to Nas, Murran and Jacko for all the effort they put in today. Hopefully we can do domething similar to sort out Nas's suspension upgrades before I move out of the unit.

Cars all gone!
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

i got back about about quarter to 9. we dropped nas's rear coil overs on and jack welded a couple of the slotted bracketty things on before i went.

yay pics of the car show.

im sure jacko will be along shortly for vid of dohnuts!
Pho21_girl
E21 Pro

Post by Pho21_girl »

Pics are fantastic, nice to see them in daylight together :D
Hannah x
www.hannahdollimore.co.uk
Jacko
E21 Fanatic

Post by Jacko »

Very productive day at the unit with plenty done, no before pics of the baur unfortunately apart from the ones Jim used for ebay – stick a couple up Jim.
Nas just wouldn't bugger off yesterday as we had started on his rear beam and wanted to finish it. Our welding wasn't great till we turned the wire speed up then we were away. We did good and finished it off then i packed the rest of my crap up.

All in all a very productive day, we all agree these ‘build it days’ are a good idea and once a month we should get round the unit and all jump on it. I’m not sure who needs what doing next, i need the 2.7 into my engine bay but i need to make a battery tray first, not sure who else??

Here are a couple of progress pics, hum it would seem Nas was the only one working hard but its not true.

Axle started out as a complete pile of pics

Same with the front and rear suspension and front cross member

Nas welding his adjusters to his spare beam

Here are some pics of them all.

I learnt a couple of valuable lessons today – firstly, very low car + burnouts are not good to your shoulders and secondly, doing a burnout inside a unit with limited ventilation isn’t good for your eyes or your throat!

And here are the vids of Murran doing some skids.

Nice meeting you all although didn’t get to chat much to the weekend has landed as i was busy farting around with the rear suspension – maybe next time a.
1986 E28 M535i - Car stripped to shell ready to be blasted
1981 E21 323i - 2.8 24v on throttle bodies & cams - 3.0 conversion soon.

[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/Arnold_the_swimmer/My%20M535i/IMG_0447sig-1.jpg[/img]
pistonheader
E21 Fanatic

Post by pistonheader »

can't get the videos to work for some reason :( firefox just keeps freezing! want to see murrans car, looks awesome! love the front splitter he has, is it a BBS one?
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

you 2 finished the beam off? fantastic! what time were you there till?
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

I believe it was quite late.

I need some less sticky tyres for donutting, my car just stuck to the ground and went round in circles! Could have sworn the wheels were spinning from inside the car!

Clock is ticking - I am out of the unit at the end of this month as things stand.

Jim

Cars all gone!