1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Microang
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 1981 BMW 320/6 E21 Manual Sunroof

Re: the banana!

Post by Microang »

Wait, are you still building the other car, the one you transferred the banana bits into a couple of pages back? Hope so since I've been following this thread for a while. Best of luck.
brennon
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brennon »

Blue one is still going strong, getting little bits here and there, mainly waiting for paint!

I'm really unsure what to do with the new one, I can see value in parts that would be good to push the blue one to paint but I don't want to kill another e21 and I have got the space for it to sit. Give me 6 months and I'll make a decision!

The m20b25 that came with the new one looks like it could find its way into the blue one, I'm going to strip the head off and see how badly it has been cooked. I'm assuming from previous owners maintenance that it's probably pretty far gone!
brennon
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brennon »

So I have a bit of an update.....

Stripped the m20b25 that came with the latest e21, we all knew it had overheated but to what extent was unknown.
What I found was far from what I was expecting!

Demolition!

Looks as if something has dropped in and taken a chunk from the piston and mullered the head!
Seriously dissapointed! I'd hoped to be in a situation where I could have had a skim, new gasket and stick it in the blue car but it seems it's only going to find its way to scrap!

On to the blue car,
The mrs got tugged by the girls in blue for this-

They were sound as a pound and told me to swap it on the weekend.
I had saved the screen from the rotten gold one so dragged it out of storage.
20 mins work, if that!

I will say at this point the mrs step father is a pannel beater and he did the majority of the work!
brennon
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brennon »

Also, in smaller news (I'm going to try and cut the story down to be readable without being too boring) the previous owner of the latest one took the yellow shell from me a while back. I have agreed sale on a car trailer from him to come in a week or so and he has chopped the front from the yellow shell that I can use to repair the latest one.
This is not a full decision that I will repair it but it gives the oppurtunity. Time will tell!
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Hope so! Thanks for the updates!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Holy crap, that b25 is more than dead.... To bad man!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
brennon
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brennon »

uwbuurman wrote:Holy crap, that b25 is more than dead.... To bad man!

Yeah, the more I think about it the more dissapointed I am. Such a shame that there is next to nothing salvageable from it, other stupid bits are broken like the thermostat housing! It has left me with a pre-made loom so I can fit another b25 easily.

New one is going for parts now, couple of people already had their name on some bits but others will see their way into the classifieds soon.

The blue car -
I feel like a massive girl as I've come to the conclusion it's just too low!

A bit much eh?

One of the parts I thought I might keep off the breaker was a whiteline anti roll bar for the front, I was skeptical as to weather it would be any good so I thought I'd fit it up and if I didn't like it I could sell it on.

I'm pretty chuffed to be honest, it's going to be staying! Makes a nice difference to the steering, it seems to sharpen up turning in. Well worth the effort.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Oh yeah they serve a pupose, nice present with the wrecker!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Well, got someting usefull of the breaker then.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
brennon
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brennon »

I'm not sure a massive amount has happened with the e21 to be fair, swapped the tyres on the front for something with a bigger sidewall as the ones we had were almost undriveable.
It's getting closer to being handed to the Mrs full time but it's still in daily duties for me. So I've been looking for a replacement for a little while, the jag isn't suitable for the work commute as it's just too juicy. Found myself the perfect winter hack...

Needs a little bit of work before I can use it daily but what could be better than an e30 soft top?!?
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Nice! Congrats! Material for our E30 section then lol
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
brennon
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brennon »

Bit of an upsetting update for you guys with not much in the way of pics!

E21 has gone to the Mrs, I've used it as a daily for months with no issues and my commute is about an hours drive each way so it's ploughed through a fair few miles with me behind the wheel.
She has had it a couple of weeks now and Monday morning my heart dropped as I looked at my phone to find 4 missed calls and a text saying 'the cars on fire! Call me!'
I'm sure people on here know what happened to marks e21 and it was all I could think of!!

The car has electric windows, installed by the previous owner, the wiring ran through the dash to switches under the radio and was unfused. While putting a window up the wire has cooked itself.

Damage isn't too bad, some destroyed wires, a small amount of debris and a bit of a horrible smell. We were lucky!!

I've tucked it away safe in the garage, we had planned on taking it off the road for the winter anyway, she wanted to keep the e21 and her m535 away from the salt and shitty roads. This gives me a few months to sort as much as I can and hopefully roll it out a much nicer car early spring. Hopefully lots of updates will come over the next 3-4 months.

In other news cars have been sold! Her e34 m5 has passed on to a new owner and her e36 328 sport followed suit not long after! With the e21 and m535 out of daily action for the winter she has grabbed the e30 now I've got it road ready and looking like this -

Still needs a handful of bits and the back dropping to match the front!!!

This left me looking for something to daily over the winter so I got some form of whizz pop machine that is stupidly loud -

Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Hmmmm well it does move forward now does it? :lol:

Glad the damage with the E21 isn't too bad but there's a lesson to be learned. Always fuse everything!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
brennon
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by brennon »

I think it's about time for an update!

So, I put the car up for sale, it didn't go well! Nobody came to view and there was no substantial interest.
It sat for a few weeks but I've started to daily it again.
Things have been changing and I've got myself a unit. I'm pretty chuffed -

Yes, having a 4 poster is better than I could have imagined!

The Mrs said it had been quite a while since we had a new car so it was time for another!
Blind buy from ebay turned up today, I've not had chance to have a real look yet but it's about 100 times better than the pic will make out!
I've got masses on at the moment (jag in for mot Saturday, skyline is mid clutch and flywheel replacement + other general bits and bobs) but I'm hoping to get it running over the weekend!