UK 323i destined for America (Update 2011)

arshad76
E21 Pro
My E21(s): Considering another E21

Re: UK 323i destined for America (Update 2010)

Post by arshad76 »

Than Gerrit, long time no hear. I went over to Yorkshire on the weekend. Met up with Nas who took me for a raz in his M50, what an engine! Creamy smooth power delivery and apart from the alloys and suspension mods the car just looks like an average E21 sleeper.

Also picked up these 15" BBS Mahle's from a guy in Woodhouse who lives in a garden centre (No really!) I've been promising to visit for a while. It comes with brand New Toyos, all bolts and locking wheel nuts. Dave the guy who I bought them of was even good enough to throw in some unused brakepads for me. He has a complete new 323i exhaust system for sale minus the downpipe. If anyone is interested then let me know and I'll pass on his details.

The polished rims are immaculate, however I am going to have them masked at the centres sprayed. I quite like the look of them as they are, so would that be without any lacquer? Also, does anyone know what size badges I order for the centrecaps from ebay or the like? Can't decide on BBS or BMW Roundels. I will probably go for BMW, as the alloys already have BBS stamped on them.

UK Moderator
jimbob
E21 Pro

Post by jimbob »

great wheels
theyd look nice with dark centres
E21 323i [kashmere] Off the road pending restoration
E21 3231[Graphite metalic] Restoration and conversion to M52
E36 318i Had it nearly 10 years work in progress
E36 328i Daily driver
E39 520i Family car school run workhorse
E36 328i Touring
arshad76
E21 Pro

Post by arshad76 »

Yeah jimbob I agree. So many colour combinations, that will look good, including dark centres, off grey. Tempted to leave them as they are for now and then might change them at a later stage.
UK Moderator
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

Stick them on as they are and use the car for a bit, decide how you want the wheels and get them redone ain the spring. If you paint them now you'll ruin them over the winter.

For daily driver purposes this Winter you need a set of 13" steels with winter tyres!
1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

Use plenty of rim wax to keep the shine.
Jason_323i
E21 Pro
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/e21jason

Post by Jason_323i »

Nice rims i think used to be mine seeing where you got them from
BMW e21 race car supercharged s14 cage and fabrication by www.chizfab.com
Z3M Coupe
2.8 Z3 Coupe
Caterham Supersport
Clio 172 Cup factory race car(50%)
Ferrari 348 Challenge track car
arshad76
E21 Pro

Post by arshad76 »

drjim wrote:Stick them on as they are and use the car for a bit, decide how you want the wheels and get them redone ain the spring. If you paint them now you'll ruin them over the winter.

For daily driver purposes this Winter you need a set of 13" steels with winter tyres!
Thought did enter my mind Jim and after what you've just said its cemented my decision. I now need to source some steelies! Not looking forward to driving my car in winter full stop I guess :(
RetroBeemer wrote:Use plenty of rim wax to keep the shine.
Judging by the lovely state of your car Mark (note no such flattery for Jims!) can you recommend anything for this?

Jason, that's interesting. The guy said he bought them off a guy who had them on a MK1 golf, changed the tyres and that was it really. He didn't say if he bought them locally, so you never know.
UK Moderator
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

I use this stuff and although it takes a little more effort to apply than the stuff that comes in a can, the results speak for themselves. I also use Dodo rim-wax every week or two. Spautopia have offered us a group-buy in the past so might be able to hook you up with a bit of discount? Worth asking anyway.

http://spautopia.co.uk/wheelguard.aspx
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

cool wheels dude! theyll look nice.
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
pjksutherland
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by pjksutherland »

arshad76 wrote:Also picked up these 15" BBS Mahle's from a guy in Woodhouse who lives in a garden centre (No really!) I've been promising to visit for a while. It comes with brand New Toyos, all bolts and locking wheel nuts. Dave the guy who I bought them of was even good enough to throw in some unused brakepads for me.....
I think this is the same Dave I bought my 323 off last September - he said he'd had 15" Mahles on it before, but it had 13" Mahles when I bought it. He didn't tell me he still had them otherwise I would have tried to buy them too! Anyway as luck would have it I picked up a mint set of 15" mahles and new Pirellis about a month ago. They look way better than the Mims I used to have.

As for spraying yours, dark centred wheels on a silver car should look pretty tasty. I'm keeping mine shiney silver as they look great against the black of the car.

On a separate note, I've had a quick look at your thread to find out more about your car's future journey to USA, but might have missed the answers..... Have you looked in to shipping costs yet? I'm moving to Canada in 2012 and am tempted to take my car with me but haven't had chance to look at prices yet. Is yours a left hooker by they way?
Last edited by pjksutherland on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

arshad76 wrote:I went over to Yorkshire on the weekend. Met up with Nas who took me for a raz in his M50, what an engine! Creamy smooth power delivery and apart from the alloys and suspension mods the car just looks like an average E21 sleeper.
Glad you liked mate, it was nice to have finally met you too.

Your car will look brilliant with these rims, but id keep them silver in the center or some shade of light grey.
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

I have a set of nice steelies mate.
1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
arshad76
E21 Pro

Post by arshad76 »

RetroBeemer wrote:I use this stuff and although it takes a little more effort to apply than the stuff that comes in a can, the results speak for themselves. I also use Dodo rim-wax every week or two. Spautopia have offered us a group-buy in the past so might be able to hook you up with a bit of discount? Worth asking anyway.

http://spautopia.co.uk/wheelguard.aspx
I read that link and makes perfect sense, Thanks! Put me down for a group buy for sure otherwise I'll be happy to buy it at the going rate.
pjksutherland wrote: Have you looked in to shipping costs yet? I'm moving to Canada in 2012 and am tempted to take my car with me but haven't had chance to look at prices yet. Is yours a left hooker by they way?
Yes its left hand drive. I enquired into sending across quite a while ago and it was £600 then. The reason why I am still interested in taking it across is that a vehicle over 25 years old isn't subject to the horrid US enviromental and safety butchering as it is classed as a vintage car. You could take your's across and it will be the cream of the E21's there I'm sure. First being a 323i and then euro spec etc. I know of a guy based in BC who has a right hand drive 323i, so you won't be completely alone :) Al from Seams Perfect if I remember correctly.
nas80 wrote: Glad you liked mate, it was nice to have finally met you too.

Your car will look brilliant with these rims, but id keep them silver in the center or some shade of light grey.
Cheers Nas, was nice meeting you too, hope to see you in Manchester, my call for coffees next time.

drjim wrote:I have a set of nice steelies mate.
I think Dr Jim'll Fix it is a more apt name for you at the moment! Just need to get you some medals made! I'll have a chat to you about those and a couple of other things. Let me know when you're next down in the workshop and I'll pop by.
UK Moderator
Sean
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1981 323i Auto

Post by Sean »

Abit late but those wheels look amazing!
arshad76
E21 Pro

Post by arshad76 »

Just picked up my car from JR Classics in Donnington and over £400 lighter (including materials), at least have the peace of mind now that my car is now structurally rust proof for the first time in 10 years of owning it. Dinitrol for the underseal and Bilt Hamber for the box sections. A strong petrol type smell inside currently, although it's actually quite pleasant! Joe the owner is really knowledgable about the whole process and a really sound bloke too. I'd recommend this service to anyone.

Car went back in the bodyshop and in between has developed a few electrical shorts, so thats the next job. Then motronic install, interior and exhaust.
UK Moderator