BMW 315 -> M42 Turbo 240 hp

johie
E21 starter

BMW 315 -> M42 Turbo 240 hp

Post by johie »

Hello,

wanted to share my project with you on this site because i am always reading and not posting :bag

i fell in love with a stock bmw 315 1983

opalgrun metallic
15 inch mim wheels with 195 40 15
lowering springs
1500 carb engine
4 gear box
tacho with rpm! original?

i had a very nice e36 318is with turbo

8.5 :1 (compression with evo pistons)
but the engine broke down and i didnt want to spend more money om my cars so i stopped investing. i sold the e36 in parts, the only thing what was left was the broken engine with turbo. as i said i didnt wanted to invest any more money so i builded a new stock engine wich was also laying around in my garage.

stock engine compression 1:10 (max boost = 0,6 - 0,7 bar approximatetly more than 200 hp)
port and polished head
MLS gasket(used for the 4th time 8) )
ARP head bols
ARP conrod bolts
e30 oil pan
TD-05 turbo
440cc injectoren
forge intercooler
standalone management

the stock e21 1500 started to burn oil a lot and i had to give full throttle to go with the traffic with my 70 hp, so i decided to swap the engine, altough i didnt now how i would fit and i wanted to do the suspension and brakes first.

i am very busy with school and working but on a crazy evening i decided to pull the engine out in the mechanic shop i work in. i pushed the stopwatch and pulled the engine out in 90 minutes.
i fitted the m42 and is sits very good.
the next evening i welded the mounts and on a saturday i fitted a e36 318is drive axle and completed the cooling,wiring etc (i have done more bmw project so i can wrench on BMW blindfolded)
i pulled a VW transporter midmuffler out of the old iron bucket bought a steel exhaust pipe and welded the exhaust.

Because i wanted it to be finisched and driveable fast i didnt pay a lot of attention to detail so is still have to clean up the wiring and intercooling tubing etc, but hey it drives!

removed the bbs and front bumper to see how it looks, you can also see my intercooler

i am very busy, so i still need to dyno it. AFR is to rich at the moment.
thing to do very soon:
clean up wiring DONE
install tacho with working fuel meter DONE, km DONE and rpm meter!! i drove it around with my laptop so i could watch the coolant temp.
make a bracket for computer
fasten the battery and main cable with main switch DONE
replace connector for wideband lambda, right now it blocks the 5th gear! DONE

things to do for future:
install good stabi's
install adjustable shock absorbers with racing springs
roll cage
semislicks
brake upgrade
clean up outside with custom sheet metal
Last edited by johie on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Peter V.
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 320/6

Re: BMW 315 -> m42 turbo

Post by Peter V. »

Welcome and nice project you have there.

I would change the todo list in another order and start with the brake-update because the 200 BHP must ask for a better brake setup.
Gr Peter V.

.Some say he eats nuts and bolts for breakfast, all we know is he is called the carburetorman.

BMW E21, 1981 320/6 Ascot Grau.
BMW E85, 2004 Z4 2.5i Sterling Grau.
BMW F31, 2017 320dA EDE Luxuryline Mineral Grau.
murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

Peter V. wrote:Welcome and nice project you have there.

I would change the todo list in another order and start with the brake-update because the 200 BHP must ask for a better brake setup.
if your not doing repeated stops from 80-100 mph and youve not increased the weight of the car...... i wouldnt worry about the brakes atm. make sure they in good working order and just remember to not use them in anger or get them too hot!
finish the engine install its more important the engines running well and right. last thing you wana do is melt a piston just after building it. when your happy under the bonnet move on to the brakes. :driving
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
dannyboy
E21 Fanatic

Post by dannyboy »

very nice... :thumbsup
e21 335i gone but not to far.
e21 316.. still
ford puma..(wifes honestly)
johie
E21 starter

Post by johie »

murran wrote:
Peter V. wrote:Welcome and nice project you have there.

if your not doing repeated stops from 80-100 mph and youve not increased the weight of the car...... i wouldnt worry about the brakes atm. make sure they in good working order and just remember to not use them in anger or get them too hot!
finish the engine install its more important the engines running well and right. last thing you wana do is melt a piston just after building it. when your happy under the bonnet move on to the brakes. :driving
totally agree with that! car is right now not used for extreme use, only go sideways a little. Beside that i have a 1:1 gear ratio in 5th gear, so its the same as 4 gearbox from e21, i already changed it with a 3,64 but not really satisfied. but maybe it gets better when i can rev the engine. i also didnt drove it harder than 90km/h yet with this engine. (i could see that on the other cars, because i dont have a km tacho :driving
johie
E21 starter

Post by johie »

stabis from 323i

and some new wheels, not sure if they are for e21 or for wife's Mazda mx-5 :wink:

and some semislicks in 195/50/15

wanted to clean up the wiring and some other neccesary stuff, but i was to busy with work....
raseeda green
E21 Fanatic

Post by raseeda green »

Cool , my friend. Nice engine,
316 auto raseeda green
323 red m52 modified
johie
E21 starter

Post by johie »

next week i hope to start working on the car, i only changed to some steel 13 inch wheels with winter tyres to take in through the yearly APK(MOT/TUV whatever)

i still hasnt been dyno'd yet so it is running rich.

laying around i have:
- 205 50 15 semi slicks
- coil over springs
- coil over sleeves
- some brake calipers to fit disc brakes on the rear
- e36 compact trailing arms with disc brakes, maybe i can make it fit? and run e30 diff?
- brembo 4 pots calipers, they fit in some 15 inch wheels i have here, but they dont fit the MIM wheels i have here, i want some 280-300mm discs in front, havent worked it out yet.
- race seats with 4point harness

i will order a hydraulic handbrake and some nice shockaborbers in front

but before eveything is fitted i need to dyno!
Grasshopper
Newbee

Post by Grasshopper »

Looks awesome, very nice work. What transmission are you using, and is the speedometer hooked up?

I've been wanting to do a M42 swap, but the main thing holding me back is the transmission and speedometer.

I loved the M42 in my old E30, and I'm waiting for someone to smash into my E36 so I have a reason to transplant the engine lol
johie
E21 starter

Post by johie »

i am using a e36 transmission and an 3,64 diff, but i want a smaller ratio, rpm on highway is to high.

i hooked up an e30 tacho in my e21 original tacho. with an e30 diff tacho and sensor flange welded on my e21 diff.

GOOD news, i went to the dyno finally. 236 HP and 290 Nm torgue! how much fun is that! AFR are good now, and delayed the ignition a little.

as you can see, the chrome bumper is back, and it is standing on some steel 13 inch wheels. i also recieved my new front shock aborbers.

video
Last edited by johie on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johie
E21 starter

Post by johie »

Now for the e21 i made some custom coil overs.

-old coilover out of iron bucket from golf 3
-golf mk1 SPAX adjustable gas shock aborber
-welded together
-HR springs
-camber plates i bought cheap, they didn't fit to the stock 3 holes. so i drilled 2 new;)
-removed brake back plates, maybe i will rebuild them for brake duct hose
-painted black

did some fenderrolling to the back, maybe next week the front. you can also see my e30 tachosender

now sitting a bit lower, and with the federal semi-slicks, when the fenderroller is been on the front, i wil lower it a little bit more on the front i think. maybe a little bit higher on the back, exhaust is scraping speedbumps

the very good and not as pricy as r888 semi's, it sits low, but without fender rolling is does not rub under normal driving. because of the nicely build coilovers i think

and the back, with the towing hook still on as you can see. i still use it, last week i pulled a heavy mercedes V-klasse, without any problems. haha
johie
E21 starter

Re: BMW 315 -> m42 turbo NEW UPDATE with pic and video 21-10

Post by johie »

i am very busy but some small updates!

i wanted to go to circuit zandvoort 2 weeks ago, but i didnt finisch the car, i still had to do the brakes and the seats and checkup. I just didnt want to rush, because i want to drive it on the circuit, not trash it!

the seat are now finisched

and i bought an plastic tank, that will save weigt! it is an 40 L tank. i think i will put some foam in it, and line it up with a catch tank.

and bought a pair of porsche calipers i will fit them on the front with some 300mm discs so i can still drive 15 inch.:alright

i think i will make a 5x120 suspension front and rear. not sure yet
johie
E21 starter

Re: BMW 315 -> M42 Turbo 240 hp

Post by johie »

did some work on the car yesterday evening.

e28 rear axle is easy. only need to make my own subframe ears and diff mount. i testfitted an e36 7j wheel with et 41. this need to go outward a litte more witch spacer, maybe 10mm, or look for some et 30 wheels.

now i am thinking i want the same offset in the front. so i am thinking of putting the e12 hub with 323i axle outward, welding, longer trailing arm? this is the hub on the 315 axle front

and i and a friend pulled the interior,

and my PU bushings i had already
Jason_323i
E21 Pro
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/e21jason

Post by Jason_323i »

On my car with the e28 axle, I modified the sub frame so the bottom track control arms are mounted further out to increase the front track to match the rear.

Jason
BMW e21 race car supercharged s14 cage and fabrication by www.chizfab.com
Z3M Coupe
2.8 Z3 Coupe
Caterham Supersport
Clio 172 Cup factory race car(50%)
Ferrari 348 Challenge track car
johie
E21 starter

Post by johie »

Jason_323i wrote:On my car with the e28 axle, I modified the sub frame so the bottom track control arms are mounted further out to increase the front track to match the rear.

Jason
also a good idea, how much did you move it outward? and the topmount? and now you use what kind of wheels? i think a longer(custom) traling arm is easy because then i can make it so that i can make pivotpoint changable. and longer trailingarm will result in less rollover.