e21 m60V8 Drift project
sorry about the crappy phone pictures, but its all I have. Saving money on a phone to put in the car
I bought the project like this: (November 2013)
Put the car on stands, and try to fit a e36 front subframe
the 323i on the background is a very nice one, but its not mine though....
Made myself a "spit" to put the car upside down. much easier working than a lift
started grinding away a bit of the tectyl.
whole chassis is now seam welded. much more ridged than the stock spot welds.
floor where the seat normally is:
rear wheel arch:
under side of the car:
a friend of mine took some proper pics
As you can see in some of the above pictures, the welds started to rust pretty fast. you can see it get worse each day.. so grinded back all the welds again and painted all the welded areas. So a tip to everyone: don't wait a week, but paint after you welded!
cut a piece out my donor..
I figured a e21 diff wouldn't last the power and torque from a v8 very long, while abusing it with drifting. I think a e34's diff will.
so I made a plan fitting a e34 rear axle....
first I made a frame to fit a e21 rear axle, to define the position of the mounting rubbers, so the axle will be straight and keep the same wheelbase.
tried the frame on the e34 rear axle:
welded the e21 mounting rubbers onto the e34 axle:
I wanted the axle to be as high into the car as possible (the axle on a e34 sits way higher under the car)
so I had to cut..
I had to cut a hole in the rear seat to make room.
checking how to make the rear mounting...
welded the cut out sections back in, and placed strongflex bushes
made room for the diff, and started at the rear mounting.
this will be connected to the rollcage later on.
there is a hole in my rear seat
cut a piece out my donor and bend it a bit.