Formula One topic

The place for everything non E21. Now with dedicated E12 & E30 sections
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Formula One topic

Post by Jeroen »

Speaking of which... exactly 20 years ago, at the age of 34, we lost one of the greatest race drivers of all time.
Ayrton, we will always remember your passion and dedication!

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Great news!
Michael Schumacher is no longer in a coma and has been released from the hospital in Grenoble, France, his management said in a statement Monday. He is said to be able to hear and respond to external stimuli.

"Michael has left ... to continue his long phase of rehabilitation," according to his manager Sabine Kehm. Schumacher, 45, suffered severe head trauma in a skiing accident at the French Alps resort of Meribel on December 29.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

So, after yesterday's clash between Rosberg and Hamilton, what do we think? The Prost vs Senna saga happening all over again? Personally I think Nico feels he can beat Lewis, but there are better ways to show.

Us Dutchies are delighted to see Max Verstappen move up to F1, even though he's taking some big leaps and he's still very young, the youngest ever even. His father has quite a temper and despite regular excursions to the gravel pit, he used to be supreme in the wet. Hope his son is a little more stable, controlled and all round.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
polov8
E21 Pro
My E21(s): '83 Polaris silver 316

Post by polov8 »

I think Nico is a very capable driver but he clearly had a moment of brain fade on lap 2. The quote I've read is from Toto Wolff: the Mercedes boss has confirmed Rosberg acknowledged "he could have avoided crashing but didn’t [in order to] make a point.” from SKY F1

Deliberately didn't avoid, is did it on purpose in my book!
Andy
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Agree in that case, but Wolff later stated something like "Nico felt he was faster and entitled to stick to the chosen line and Lewis felt he didn't have to make way in this phase of the race. It was a misunderstanding, not a deliberate crash, that is nonsense"
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
luke
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by luke »

I'm thinking it's more Alonso v Hamilton at McLaren than Prost v Senna.

Still - really enjoying that Daniel Ricciardo has been ready to pounce any time that Mercedes screw up, which has been quite regularly recently! If he had not lost his 18 points from Melbourne, he'd absolutely be in the hunt for the championship, despite being in a far inferior car (somewhat like Alonso v Vettel in 2012).
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Yup, gotta start somewhere though, he might be in the lead next season!

Of course we have Dutchman Max Verstappen (he was still in diapers last time I saw him with his daddy, seriously!), curious what he will bring. But he will have to build up some experience first, hope he gets the chance IF he's really that good, I don't know.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
polov8
E21 Pro

Post by polov8 »

I think he's too young. F1 is supposed to be the pinacle of motorsport, the 22 guys driving should be the very best in the world. That's already diluted somewhat with some drivers paying for their seat, or driving for no fee. You should have to earn your place in F1 by winning championships in lower formula. The red bull program for young drivers is a good idea, but when they just air drop kids into the top catategory on the off chance they'll do ok, it kind of makes a mockery of itself.

I have nothing at all against Max, he might turn out to be the next Senna, but Senna was 24 when he began F1 (the age that the soon to be fired Jean eric Verne is now btw!) and had been racing for 11 years. How many first lap incidents will Max have next year, and if he does turn out to be a liability, or just not as good as he's been hyped up to be, and looses his seat, then what? He has to go back and do lower formula? Seems like this might be harmful for his career.

There used to be a steady progression into F1 that made alot of sense, honing racecraft, awareness, getting used to the corporate nature of the sport, press conferences etc, but this kids just going to be dropped in at the deep end. Seems unfair to him.
Andy
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

I can only agree, but I haven't followed him over the past years so I really have no decent clue as to what he's capable of or not. But I would go for some more experience too before setting off in F1. Perhaps he's a miracle kid, but there's an even larger chance he will only disappoint and he cannot be blamed for that himself, pretty sure he goes with the flow and nearly any 16 year old would I guess.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Still, Max Verstappen did his first laps in a formal practice session this morning in Japan and he did quite ok. 12th time and even though this is nowhere near official qualifying he was able to peddle along with the rest quite well. And I think there are a few drivers that had a more modest start in F1 (photo taken by his father Jos Verstappen). Let's just hope he keeps his head cool (and doesn't have his father's temper) and that press and fans don't hype him too much. For that, it might already be to late as Andy already indicated, before you know it expectations are way up meaning you can only disappoint. Fingers crossed but if nothing happens to Vergne or Kvyat he won't be doing more driving this weekend anyway.

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Duracel79
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by Duracel79 »

Looks like he performed well this morning, I seem to recall they are talking about more FP1 runs during the remainder of the season.

Good luck to the young lad, lots of pressure is sure to be on his shoulders now.

Ben
1982 323i (S54 "Test Mule" - to be rebuilt into M20 powered track car)
1983 316 (Taiga Thunder - The refined S54 Race car)
1982 635csiA (New project)
1985 728iA (For Sale)
2004 330d Touring (The Daily Hack / Tow Car / Load lugger)
polov8
E21 Pro

Post by polov8 »

Well that was an eventful race, sadly for all the wrong reasons at the end. Wishing Jules Bianchi a full and speedy recovery, but as he's currently in surgery for head injuries, that will most likely take some time. My thoughts are with him and his family :(
Andy
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

I really felt like chopping up Ecclestone for pushing the race to start, but ok the teams and drivers accepted and conditions got better. Nice battles like Rosberg vs Hamilton. But in the end, doesn't look good for Bianci, not at all. Really hope he gets out well in the end.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Saw the video of Bianchi's crash, pfew that's some impact! Clearly he hasn't hit the JCB with just the side, after first surgery he is stable now but still critical. Fingers crossed he will survive this anyhow. BTW for those interested here's a link to the vid:
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
polov8
E21 Pro

Post by polov8 »

Yeah that is one hell of an impact, seeing as his car weighs about 650kg, and that JCB that probably weighs 6 tonnes lept when he hit :(
Andy