The Rust Rocket, 2.5i convertion

Share the story on your car, and photos!
Millar
Upcoming E21 fanatic

The Rust Rocket, 2.5i convertion

Post by Millar »

Well I thought it was about time I started my build thread. Got an e21 82' 320/6 for £900 a few weeks ago and it needs quite a bit of work. Plus there is no way I'm leaving it standard haha. The list of things to do goes a bit like this:
The sills need replacing
The interior is buggered, by the fact that is is brown and the seats are about as comfortable as sitting on a pile of rocks.
The front splitter is exactly that, split. And its hiding quite a rotten front valance.
The gear lever is as loose as a (insert your own catch phrase here) and the original lever is horrible.
Also clutch is on the way out.
Someone has badly removed a rear spoiler at some point and a new one needs to be found to replace it.
Obviously the usual chassis mods will be done, lowering springs, strut braces etc.
Exhaust is standard, why would i keep that...
And finally something needs to be done about the engine, whether it will be replaced all together or just that crappy solex carb, will depend completely on budget, which I forgot to mention is tight.
So yeah, it could be a while.

But to kick things off I have bought a make your own ashley exhaust kit which should be arriving this week hopefully.
And I'm taking the car to have the sills looked at this week as well, and if that doesn't go well it could bring a stop to the whole thing before its even started...

Here's a few pics of how it stands at the moment. Cheers
love the sharknose
needs lowered, badly
going to be replaced
Picking it up
Last edited by Millar on Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

Alan
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Alan »

Good effort!!

Nice looking motor.

The Solex carb isnt anyones choice but the one I have has been pretty good! I have a rebuild kit but havent needed it yet!

I'm not too sure your keeping it standard!! 8)
Millar
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Millar »

good the intention isn't to keep it that way :) my solex is buggered, running rough as hell, and just found out it had head work done on it in 88' and the cam was replaced so wonder whether it was a non standard item, and if that why its a bit lumpy or it just down to the carb being buggered...
Alan
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Alan »

Millar wrote:good the intention isn't to keep it that way :) my solex is buggered, running rough as hell, and just found out it had head work done on it in 88' and the cam was replaced so wonder whether it was a non standard item, and if that why its a bit lumpy or it just down to the carb being buggered...
Mine ran like poo when first got it, but it turned out to be a dodgy breather pipe/valve from the manifold-servo. Worth a look as I nearly ended up having a full engine strip down.
E21meister
E21 Pro

Post by E21meister »

Those Kamei front spoilers (not a splitter) are very fragile, I also had one on a Henna Red 323i and I just about managed to get it off the car in one piece. Good luck with the project.
Millar
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Millar »

cheers for that, i'll have a look into that. Yes sorry front spoiler, no idea why i keep insist on saying splitter lol, to very large splits, one even as far as half way up. gonna get it fixed, then when it goes back on will put a bit of bar in behind it to stop it from happening again hopefully.
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

like that front spoiler, very cool!!!!

looking foward to the ashley exhasut build
Millar
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Millar »

cheers austin, your car looks epically clean! love the wide wheel arches.
So got the car up on a lift today and it didnt go as badly as i thought, but its mixed news.
Good points:
Behind the rotten sills there is good metal to weld to, and not even the whole sill needs replaced on one side.
The inner wings aren't as bad as i thought, maybe just a rub down and a paint, hopefully.
Bad news:
The sills are still horrendous.
Someone had filled in further rusty gaps around the sills with mastik, idiot!
The front corners of the floor pan are gone on both sides, nightmare.
There is also a small patch of rust in the back right hand corner behind the fuel tank that will need patched up.
All jacking points were buggered.

So i need someone to recommend a decent welder to buy, what sort of metal i should use for patching up, and where to buy some floor pans (if they are too expensive they will just be getting patched up).

Better news is that the ashley exhaust kit arrived today (the tail pipes look awesome), just need to wait for the exhaust sealant to arrive and i'll get started. Thinking about using it other than intended, but more on that when i start.
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

Go here

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Read about welders, work out your budget and buy accordingly. I suggest a clarke from weldequip at the shop on that site, unless your budget is big! Avoid ebay specials and Wolf MIGs

Jim
1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
Jason_323i
E21 Pro
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/e21jason

Post by Jason_323i »

Heck eBay I got a portamig for £10

Jason
BMW e21 race car supercharged s14 cage and fabrication by www.chizfab.com
Z3M Coupe
2.8 Z3 Coupe
Caterham Supersport
Clio 172 Cup factory race car(50%)
Ferrari 348 Challenge track car
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

10 quid for a portamig??

Jason that's either rampant bullshitting or the best ebay win ever.

Link/Pics??
1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
Millar
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Millar »

wow that website is unbelievably useful, cheers jim. And £10, really? I could do with that haha, otherwise it looks like i'm going to be shelling out about £300.
Jason_323i
E21 Pro
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/e21jason

Post by Jason_323i »

Yet to see if it works

Item number 120586171542

Jason
BMW e21 race car supercharged s14 cage and fabrication by www.chizfab.com
Z3M Coupe
2.8 Z3 Coupe
Caterham Supersport
Clio 172 Cup factory race car(50%)
Ferrari 348 Challenge track car
Millar
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Millar »

i see why it was only £10 now, it was only the wire feed unit.
tyson 320i/323i
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by tyson 320i/323i »

when i needed to go get some metal for my floorboard replacement, i went and bought some 16 gauge cold rolled steel. its the same thickness as the metal on the car and the same type as well. as far as forming it and such, i used a rubber mallet, a length of aluminum tubing and a bit of angle iron