Dod's 323i's, Labour of love!

Share the story on your car, and photos!
Dod
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Dod's 323i's, Labour of love!

Post by Dod »

This is madness, I know but theres a story behind it all so bare with me.

My father bought this car in and around 1995. Its a limited Edition "S" model, which was one of the last of the e21s.

It came with 2 tone paint work, BBS 13" cross spoke wheels and proper Recaro interior. This particular one came better spec'd still as it was a former track car.

It had Big piston bilstiens, discs front and rear ( i belive these were optional) Quick rack, Dog box (standard in some models), Limited Slip Diff, BBS edition front spoiler and being a 323i, a second rear chassis leg to take the 2nd exhaust system.

These were always notorious for being tail happy and its no wonder, very light but atill packing a pretty powerful powerplant. This is the first of 3 I've dealt for, all of which were owed by my father. I dont think I'll be able to get them back 100% to the way they were because too much time has passed and too many parts have "disappeared" but you can be sure I'll have at least 2 of them being serious alrounders. ;)

Anyway, a few pics of whats ahead of me. Comments are welcome.

arshad76
E21 Pro
My E21(s): Considering another E21

Re: Dod's 323i's, Labour of love!

Post by arshad76 »

Hi Dod,

And welcome. Quite a a lot of work you're going to have to undergo there and if it was an average E21 I'd recommend you didn't bother. An Edition S is super lovely and desireable though and I wish you luck with the restoration. This thread should give you some inspiration and ideas http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... hilit=nuga It looks like it was in similar shape to yours at the beginning - good luck :)
UK Moderator
Dod
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Dod »

It looks a lot worse than it is, believe me although there is a bit of effort needed.

That said its heritage at this stage so its worth doing as these are rare as over here and it'll keep me busy. lol

Once the welding is done and the shell primed the biggest part of the work is done!
Dod
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Dod »

Christ, mine is nowhere near as bad as that! Sills, arches etc are 100%. It needs a front and rear panel, some attention to the PS chassis leg and then a few Bird droppings that have eaten through the paint. No where near as much as that!!

WOW!!
Orjan
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 1979 BMW 323i

Post by Orjan »

This is truly a labour of love! Good luck with it :-)
Dod
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Dod »

lol

I dont know what the fuss is about, its in good nick, there is a lot worse driving around on the roads. Also, I've repaired worse than this and had them tested properly. Never an issue.

Anyway, maybe I should get some more detailed pictures this week to show everyone.

Thanks for the replies up to now.
Rav320uk
E21 Fanatic

Post by Rav320uk »

Good luck with it Dod.
When I spoke to you on the other forum, i didn't think it was in that state :shock
Dod
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Dod »

Thats it! lol

Na, I'll get better pics up, it shouldnt be too big an issue to leave right.(I am worried now all the same!)
Anonymouse
Newbee

Post by Anonymouse »

wow looks like you got some work ahead of you. good luck.
'97 Audi A4