Track car build begins!

Share the story on your car, and photos!
leothedrummer
Newbee
My E21(s): M20B25 '80 323i racer

Track car build begins!

Post by leothedrummer »

Hello everyone,

My name's Leo and I've just purchased my first E21. I currently own an E28 M535i, which I absolutely love to death, but the car is way too nice to be doing any proper track work with. I've done my fair share of track days with it and it's been great, but I'm ready to step things up a notch and that means a dedicated car. Which is where this 323i comes in. I've always liked E21's and I reckon this is going to make one awesome car. It'll also be a breath of fresh air amongst the sea of E30's at the track!

Anyway, it's an earlier car (mechanical fuel injection, right?) and most of the boring stuff has already been done. Interior has already been stripped - the guy I bought it off was building it as a track car for his missus, but then decided an E30 would be a safer bet - and the car has been resprayed in it's original colour, but I am tempted to change that...

The two big jobs needed to get it up and running are the gearbox and fuel tank. It's an automatic, so I'll need to swap that out for a manual box and the fuel tank is shot, so I'll replace that with a 20L cell in the spare wheel well. Besides that, a bit of a tidy up and re-assembly (probably the part I'm dreading the most) should see me ready for a shake-down and then ready for competition. I want to be out there running and developing as I go along, rather than taking years to never complete it. I just can't wait to get out there! Plan is to run sprints (circuit and street) and hillclimbs to begin with and then further down the road, looking at running in the Improved Production class.

I'll keep you guys posted as things move along and no doubt I'll have plenty of questions to ask along the way too.

Cheers!

The car as it sits now - had it delivered this morning, yet to begin work:

All the trim and other assorted bits in the boot:

Engine bay - motor has apparently been rebuilt recently

And my E28, competing in a regularity race at Lakeside Raceway

:driving

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Track car build begins!

Post by Jeroen »

Nice E21 (and E28!), welcome!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Mihajlo
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 1982 315swap323i

Re: Track car build begins!

Post by Mihajlo »

doors are facelift and instrument panel is prefacelift.
nice project!
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.