2013 OGP Oldtimer Grand Prix @ Nurburgring, Germany

Direct links: 2023 Calendar & reports ; All previous event reports
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

2013 OGP Oldtimer Grand Prix @ Nurburgring, Germany

Post by Jeroen »

After BMW's celebration of the 40th anniversary of BMW Motorsport at the 2012 event, BMW dug up several reasons to make the 2013 edition special as well. 40 years of E9 CSL, 35th anniversary of the E26 M1, and 30 years ago BMW clinched the F1 world title with the Brabham-BMW BT52 driven by Nelson Piquet. They are planning to have all of these cars in action this year, which will mean a score of CSL's and M1's, but if all goes well we can even see the amazing BT-52 in action and that will be a rare occasion. And BMW Motorsport has also started preparing the V12 LMR Le Mans winner so with a bit of luck we can see that one in action as well. BMW is currently busy inviting the brave drivers of those days so we can expect to see quite a few familiar faces too.

And there is more as Porsche celebrates 50 years of 911 and the 30th anniversary of the 956 smashing the Nurburgring track record, back then driven by Stefan Bellof. All the known classic racing classes including DRM/DTM and historic F1 and what is likely to be the largest gathering of car clubs world wide on all parking lots around the Ring. So something in there for all... the event is going to be well worth a visit or a nice weekend trip... I'll be there for sure!

The event takes place from August 9-11, mainly at the GP F1 track, but some parts are on the Nordschleife as well.

For an impression of the 2012 edition:
http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18214

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): [O==[][]==O]

Re: 2013 OGP Oldtimer Grand Prix @ Nurburgring, Germany

Post by Eddie. »

Just sent a link to my mate for this, as we both want to do another trip to the Nurburgring this year.

Hopefully he's up for this, although we will probably be in his 330ci.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Defo worth while if you're into classic cars, classic racing and BMW's! And apart from the action on the track you can easily spend a day checking out all the clubs parking lots, especially on Sunday (depending on the weather of course). So perhaps Fr+Sat track action, Sun parking lots, Mon a few Nordschleife laps if you like and then back home!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): [O==[][]==O]

Post by Eddie. »

Yep, I was thinking something along the same lines. Make a long weekend of it, he's going to look into some costs, as we all get back from a holiday in Spain a few weeks prior to this event, so he wants to know if it's feasible.

I'd love to take the E21, but the engine won't have been rebuilt by that point, and I don't fancy taking it across as it is atm.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

All in good time, I usually take the most suitable vehicle to events like this one. Last year the weather was absolutely stunning so I took the Baur, great fun on these Eifel roads. Zie Germans even sent me a postcard to remind me of the fact that I'd visited them

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Thegs
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '78 320/6 4-sp
'80 323i 5-sp

Post by Thegs »

Jeroen wrote:Mon a few Nordschleife laps if you like and then back home!
Is that where we are going to give the 330i his shake-down? :mrgreen:
Regards, Gerwin

1980 BMW E21 323i in Hennarot
1985 BMW E23 735i EXE in Zobelbraun
1988 BMW E34 535iA in Lachssilber
2008 BMW E91 320dA in Monacoblau
2009 BMW E60 523iA in Sapphireschwarz
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

And also see the initial post, now confirmed that cars in action will include the Brabham-BMW BT52 (absolutely unique and driven by Nelson Piquet's team mate back then, Marc Surer) and the V12 LMR Le Mans winner. I'm ready and I will be there for sure! :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

For pics on the 2012 event: http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18214

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Processing my pics bit by bit so you can expect more later! Starting off with the Ferrari 250 GT Drogo 'Breadvan'. Amazing and unique car that is impressive on track in every aspect too. Great to see her again and see her being used what she was made for instead of being parked in a museum!

Today's special: M1's in action!

Widebodied Group 4 Schnitzer Turbo M1 as driven by Hans Stück back in the day.Weight and turbo lag get in its way but once it gets going... but in race 1 it became 3rd behind a 'stock' M1 and Johnny Cecotto in his E30 M3. In race 2 it was fastest but only by one tenth of a second.

The always cheerful ex DTM driver Marc Hessel impressing in the ex Nelson Piquet car

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

A couple of videos:

By BMW Classic, watch full screen!

On reviving the BMW Brabham BT52

Breadvan in action

Special on the Jägermeister Group 5 car, pity about the early retirement because of gearbox problems...

Parking lot pix

Hmmmm, full bodykit, M3 mirrors, E30 dash and perhaps M50 fitted judging from the exhaust...

Race E21's...

More later!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Heinrich
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '81 323i TC-1 Baur 5-speed

Post by Heinrich »

Jeroen wrote:All in good time, I usually take the most suitable vehicle to events like this one. Last year the weather was absolutely stunning so I took the Baur, great fun on these Eifel roads. Zie Germans even sent me a postcard to remind me of the fact that I'd visited them

Suppose that's the most expensive postcard you have ever bought :lol:

Those pictures are just stunning. I was wondering what camera and lences you are using?
polov8
E21 Pro
My E21(s): '83 Polaris silver 316

Post by polov8 »

Agreed! I don't know squat about photography, but those pictures are absolutely fantastic!
Andy
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks guys! I'll post some more later, and there will be a report in BMW Car Magazine, probably the next issue

Equipment is advanced indeed, Nikon D300 and professional AF-S lenses: 2.8/17-55mm, 2.8/70-200mm, 4.0/300mm. But for 'everyday' use there's good equipment for a lot less money as well, for example Nikon's 18-200mm VR really is a versatile piece of quality that I use on normal road trips and holidays and I'm already very satisfied about that one, for a fraction of the money the professional lenses are costing.

As for the postcard, there's a nice story to it and I was happy to receive it. It all started with some playing with a nice German Ferrari Daytona and we did abt 200 kmh for a long time. This (Dutch! :hammer ) idiot decided to jump in between and stay in the left lane for too long. On another picture you can see the Daytona up front even. Anyway, due to impatience (clearly visible why) I was now fined for tailgating but the fine is far less than the one I'd have received if this car was paying attention... then I'd probably have exceeded the local speed limit by a lot! So, pity about the money but it could have been worse.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Made a quick selection of the rest of the pics otherwise it would take weeks more. Starting off with a round of miscellaneous stuff...

Johnny Cecotto took place in the works E36 last year but was very pleased to be back in the DTM Group A E30 M3 this year!

BMW's design chief and board member Adrian van Hooydonk was talkative as ever and thoroughly enjoyed being out on the track in both a 2002tii and an E30 M3

Derek Bell on his way with the Rothmans Porsche 956 to open the Stefan-Bellof-S-Kurve together with the Bellof family

Oh right yeah there were a few M3's as well

Finally, Nelson Piquet's team mate Marc Surer in the M12/13 powered Brabham BMW BT52

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

And a great report on Derek Bell in the 956

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Some more historic F1, some were already shown at an earlier stage but here's a selection of the F1 stuff together

Regards/groeten, Jeroen