323i TC-1 Baur 5-speed

Heinrich
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '81 323i TC-1 Baur 5-speed

Re: 323i TC-1 Baur 5-speed

Post by Heinrich »

Waterpump is just changed with the cam belt. No, I don't hear the fan at all.

I'll go for the clutch at first.

Can you tell what figures the engine should have?

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Figures for the engine, think I'd aim for a CO of around 2.5%, CO2 is abt 14.5 ideally but that may be ruined by setting it richer, HC < 100. A decent garage can tell you on how the engine responds if you have a combution that is distorted. Perhaps try to set it as ideal (theoretically) as possible with lambda is 1.00, just for analysis, after that raise CO to 2.5%.

These are pretty ok figures for analysis purposes, HC should come down a bit more but other than that very good.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Heinrich
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by Heinrich »

Ok, will go and have it ajusted tomorrow.

Btw. These are the figures from when I was at the MOT.

Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

OK not that much different, check and compare with lambda at 1.00, it is likely O2 and HC will drop a bit more to get almost identical values and that means the engine is ok. Then raise CO and mess it all up haha!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Heinrich
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by Heinrich »

Thanks to Lars Nord for a short local Sharknose meeting here in Denmark. It was real fun to see our cars together.

I was so sure that I would never change anything on my car and keep it standard, untill I heard the sound of yours. Compared mine is quite as a mouse! And I simply envy you for the front light whipers - they are SO cool :smoke

Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Two of the best E21's around... together! Nice photo and cars look fab, hope you guys had a great time. Why is it always beer & deer with Lars? Not that I mind... 8)
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Lars-Nord
E21 Pro

Post by Lars-Nord »

On tour for a day and only two photos???

First was on the Ferry from Larvik. Strange to pay 139,- NOK / 18 euro, for breakfast that morning. I am not used to pay for breakfast or Food at all when I am om a ship ;-) Just comes as a shock after a work period.

And after some nice (fast) driving on Danish highways, I meet a little boy that opened the door and had som problems With the Norwegian Language, but he called for his mother that told me that Heinrich was comming in two minutes.

We had a little hello and it was Heinrich that said " Ja så er det tid for en bayer". ( Now its time for a beer). ;-) We got the Alpina Wheels and the Alpina gearknob. I am so happy for that one. If I had to take a plane all over the world to get it... I do that, but now it i the car and i smile every time I change gear. New in Box.. Yiha. ;-) love it.

Heinrich car: Amazing. There are some Things. A little dent Down front and some parts that ar re painted, but you know. When I say it`s amazing.... It is. Under the car and in engineroom. Just like 1981 just came back. We know my car is good, but where I have left some glue from stickers from New. This car have the stickers. The red Paint on the diff cover, red and green Paint on the suspension, sticker on the suspension, all the gold galvanized parts....and NO dirt under the car. No dirt. Like New.
A litle more rust on the breakshild as you can see on the photos here. But that the only thing thats not good With the car. Fantastic. ;-)

On my way back home again i only took this photo, but I had a great time on my one day tour to denmark. Nice to meet you Heinrich.

81 e21 323i polaris
That's a whole lott of engine under the bonnet;-)
Heinrich
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by Heinrich »

Well, a little update...

Installed a Bavaria Cassette II - and for the first time in about 20 years I could listed to the tape version of the Def Leppard classic "Hysteria". Nice (even though my eldest son didn't agree with me - ha ha).

Thanks to Wondermike for the bracket for the radio and Groentje_me for helping out with shipping and handling!

Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Nice upgrade sir! :boogie
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Heinrich
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by Heinrich »

Have a nice sleep my friend....See you in 6 months :sleeping

Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Pity we have these winters here, if you see what nice meetings the BMW fans have out in the California sunshine in December... :?
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
mendipdriver
E21 starter

Post by mendipdriver »

Hi Malthe,

What a truly wonderful Baur! Congratulations. On the temperature issue; i have recently been troubled with cool & hot temperatures - i replaced the pump, the fan clutch and eventually changed the thermostat - bingo! The thermostat replacement sorted the issue (i had previously replaced the thermostat with the BMW part only for them to get lazy - twice!), the temp needle should sit 1/8th below the halfway mark and when under-load or idling sit at the halfway mark.

BOL.
Heinrich
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by Heinrich »

Thanks for your advise mate.

What do you mean - that the BMW thermostat was no good?
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

I've had a bad M20 thermostat from BMW once as well! More on temp issues in the FAQ section here: http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13416
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
mendipdriver
E21 starter

Post by mendipdriver »

Yes, both thermostats were ok when fitted, but after the Winter lay up they got lazy. I took the car in to my local BMW dealer for a warranty claim and they wanted to replace the clutch fan & pump before committing to honouring the BMW 2 year warranty!