Malaysian Airlines flight MH17

The place for everything non E21. Now with dedicated E12 & E30 sections
polov8
E21 Pro
My E21(s): '83 Polaris silver 316

Re: Malaysian Airlines flight MH17

Post by polov8 »

Not sure how this got derailed into the Kurt Westergaard discussion, but I'll throw my 2 cents in here for the record.

The cartoonist is within his rights to draw what he sees fit. He is not bound by the rules of Islam as he is not Muslim, but anyone with any common sense knows that there are those within islam who take an extremist view, and within those there are idividuals willing to take matters into their own hands. To Knowingly provoke those people and put your life, your family's lives, and your colleagues lives at risk is monumentally stupid. He does not deserve to die, but as a liability, i'd have no problems firing the moron and he does deserve to be regarded as an idiot.

I do agree with Jeroen and Arshad, to react to ignorance or deliberate provocation with anger and threats does nothing for the positive image of Islam.

Back to MH17, There are a number of aspects of this thing that are deeply troubling.

We don't yet know for sure what happened, or how it happened, but if the media is to be believed it does sound like the plane was shot down with a missile sytem that was provided to the Ukrainian seperatists by the Russians. What they were thinking firing at a passenger plane is beyond me. They must have known there were still civilian flights in the area and that there was a good chance this was one of them. If they didn't, then they had no business being in charge of such a dangrous weapons system, so you have to question who gave it them. If Putin is that guy, and he must bear some responsibility for the deaths of all those innocent people.

The desecration of the bodies and the accident scene is unforgivable. The looting of the victims and their luggage is a great shame on those involved. I realise that the debris is spread over a very wide area, but the amount of soldiers around means they could have locked the main areas down and let investigators in ASAP and begun recovery of the victims and analysis of the wreckage. Restricting investigators only heightens the distrust and angers the families of the victims. If the net result of the investigation is that the plane was indeed shot down and the seperatists are responsible, then it's going to cause repercussions that could last a very long time. I can't help but think that if those at fault had held their hands up and admitted to it, and apologised, that whilst it's obviously small consolation to the families, it might have done alot to alleviate the tensions and accusations that seem to be going around.

I am very impressed by the dignity and restraint shown by the Dutch. There are many other countries that would have quite probably made the situation worse by now by throwing their weight around, or making unfounded allegations.

Andy
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Wow, well said and a huge +1 Andy!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

And a big +2 from my side, you've said it all!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Desmos
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 81 320i manual

Post by Desmos »

+3.
Very well put.
I think we are all guilty of perhaps turning a blind eye on our people of the world. We are, after all, human.
Wrapped up, in our own lives, saturated with current affairs. Perhaps too hardened by this?

If a child cries they deserve a cuddle and some soft words.
Yet now we have to question if this is "ok " prior to acting?

Our biggest problem is we have our ideologies crafted by our governments, or sound bite journalism, all over the world.

We as a race,need to start accepting the world as our whole, rather than countries, religion, and greed.