Visit to Reims-Gueux historic circuit, France

Direct links: 2023 Calendar & reports ; All previous event reports
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Visit to Reims-Gueux historic circuit, France

Post by Jeroen »

Reims is the heart of the Champagne region. In the north of France, just 90 minutes from Paris, there is this little gem that just breathes motor racing history. It has been on my bucket list for a few years already and this June we were finally ably to visit the place. It was well worth the trip!

From Wikipedia: "The circuit Reims-Gueux was a Grand Prix motor racing road course, located 7.5 km west of Reims in the Champagne region of north-eastern France, established in 1926 as the second venue of the Grand Prix de la Marne. The triangular layout of public roads formed three sectors between the villages of Thillois and Gueux over the La Garenne / Gueux intersection of route N-31. The circuit became known to be among the fastest of the era for its two long straights (approximately 2.2 km in length each) allowing maximum straight-line speed, resulting in many famous slipstream battles. The last year for Formula One at Reims came in 1966, final sports car competitions were held in 1969 and Motorcycle racing continued for another 3 years. In 1972, Reims-Gueux closed permanently due to financial difficulties. A few sections of the old circuit are still visible today around the pit lane, at the D26 / D27 roundabout and a part of the D26 extension at the Hovette corner to what once was the 1953 Muizon hair-pin (visible on current sat. images). Les Amis du Circuit de Gueux (a non-profit organization) is working to preserve the old pit building, grandstands and other remaining structures of the circuit and actively support historic meetings which use the 1952 Circuit d'Essais."

Famous winners of the Reims Grand Prix include Tazio Nuvolari, Alberto Ascari, Mike Hawthorn, Juan Manuel Fangio, Jack Brabham, Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Jochen Rindt, Jean-Pierre Jabouille and Stirling Moss.

As indicated above, the historic grandstand, pit lane and surroundings are being restored by a group of fanatics and it is great to travel to the 1930's and feel the atmosphere of yesteryear!

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Re: Visit to Reims-Gueux historic circuit, France

Post by uwbuurman »

Great repo and pics, Jeroen!!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet