Custom rebuilt E21

e21est
Newbee
My E21(s): '83 EU manual

Custom rebuilt E21

Post by e21est »

I'm starting my E21 project from basically scratch.
Mostly making this thread so it's easier for me to keep track.
Anyway the car was a real sh*t box, which i got for cheap since i did not want to cannibalize a great example for what i have planned. Also it's quite hard to find something with a nice chassis.
I guess its a bigger project than i realized but it is being done in probably record time since i stripped this car in february and got it mediablasted also in february. Lucky its an easy car to dismantle.

First things first.
I stripped it down to bare chassis and media blasted bottom end with glassbeads to see what's up.
Blasting revealed that the body is not in great condition and would have been easier to just take another project but since already started on this might as well finish...
Ordered a lot of replacement body panels from Valcasgarage which are now being welded in (basically everything they had to offer).
Right now trunk floor(along with parts of wheel well), basically whole interior floor, rear axle mounts (made stronger), inner and outer sills have been welded. Rear quarter panels are currently being welded. Front end is basically half cut away and half-frame rails are being welded in from stronger steel (CNC laser cut).
Deleting the spare wheel tire area to get more room underneath.

I'm probably going with M54B30 engine for this, haven't bought it yet but i have bought E21 M50 engine mounts from E28goodies and I have sourced an E34 M50 oil pan for this purpose already. I first figured of doing M42 turbo or something like that, then thought about M20 but i changed my mind due to lighter weight and smoothness of M54 being far superior.

Since I do not like the type168 differential I'm going the route of type188 and for that purpose i'm modifying an E28 rear axle to fit E21. I'm also welding in toe&camber adjustment plates so it's possible to adjust the rear end (already bought a kit). I have already sourced the E28 rear axle which has thankfully already been sandblasted and painted and is the bigger type with dogbones. Differential is not great, i would like a better ratio but it will have to do for now. Probably going with E34 520i/525tds rear cover along with the bushing since it sits a little bit lower than E28 rear cover. I have already sourced those as well. E34 rear brakes.
Rear axle bushings are going to be poly with 80 hardness since i could not find new rubber ones.

image upload

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Custom rebuilt E21

Post by Jeroen »

Wow, welcome here! What a way to start off, my compliments! And you'ree not sitting around wasting time either haha! Looks like you've done quite a bit of homework and shopping already, all 'n all looks and sounds good!

If the car is not going to be stock then a slightly more modern engine is a really good option. The M54 is smooth and powerful, as an alternative you may want to consider the M52B28, probably one of the best power plants ever made in Bavaria. Slightly down on power compared to the M54B30, but they seem to last forever and don't have -for example- the oil consumption issues that frequently hamper M54's.

BMW had their reasons to keep the official power figures of the M52B28 on the conservative side, but with an M50 intake these engines easily produce 220 BHP, and that's not far off the values for the M54B30.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Great, a new project here. Good luck and succes with that! Can't wait to see the next update. Like Jeroen says, you're hauling ass!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
e21est
Newbee

Post by e21est »

I know about the issues plaguing the M54 but for me that's a non-issue since I plan to strip the engine and rebuild it completely at some point anyway(new rings, bearings, oil pump system, cylinder head rework etc).
I also like the idea of electronic throttle control instead of cable and the non-return fuel system.
M52 is great and all but if i rework the engine then makes more sense to go M54 route for now.

RIght now i'm trying to find 320i front struts for a reasonable price so i could run the smaller shock from 318i (since these are still being sold aftermarket) but run E12 5x120 bigger hubs and brakes. Front brakes i will try the route of late E24 disks and opel omega A calipers. Over here they do not like brake modifications much so brackets are something i'm trying to avoid for now.
Main issue is that there aren't a lot of them for parts and even less 320's over here.
e21est
Newbee

Post by e21est »

A light update. Rear arches welding is done, floor is almost done, i have to source and fit E28 stabilizer. Front end is still in progress.
E28 rear axle along with adjustment plates has been welded and has been test fitted.
Probably need to roll the arches or modify arches another way since the axle takes quite a lot of space.