Too big for the car

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
Stand-in
Newbee
My E21(s): 1977 320i US Manual

Too big for the car

Post by Stand-in »

It turns out that I am either a massive "absolute unit"... Or the seat mechanism is broken. If it's the former I noticed that I had plenty of adjustment room when the right toothed seat forward back adjuster was not installed (I had to replace the seat standoffs). It felt solid ish, and would be solid up and down, do y'all think it's safe to only have lock on one side? For context this is the gymnastics I have to do to get my foot over the brake; in addition I am 6'3 or 195ish cm and have my ass to the back of the chair.
edit-fixed embed
Last edited by Stand-in on Sat May 04, 2024 4:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Stand-in
Newbee

Re: Too big for the car

Post by Stand-in »

Ok so I looked and it appears both are at the end of their respective tracks... Should I just buy a seat that's lower down and so forth? For now I guess I can work around it.

edit- Found out there are "long" seat rails however they are few and far between, and that they are for 78 and on whilst my car is an early model...
Leinho
Newbee
My E21(s): `80 320/6 Manual

Post by Leinho »

I'm 1.85 and I struggle myself sometimes. Got around it by swapping my steering wheel for q 3 spoke. It worth gave me more room. You can also get lower seats, but try measuring your wheels diameter and find some 3 spoke or after market and compare. 10 or 20mm make huge difference
Stand-in
Newbee

Post by Stand-in »

Leinho wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 4:21 pm I'm 1.85 and I struggle myself sometimes. Got around it by swapping my steering wheel for q 3 spoke. It worth gave me more room. You can also get lower seats, but try measuring your wheels diameter and find some 3 spoke or after market and compare. 10 or 20mm make huge difference
Yeah I will try looking into this first, just a bit more clearance and I will be good. I'm planning on upgrading to a bucket seat at some point anyways however as I would like to see how this car does on the touge. Thanks for your input, now to see how a smaller steering wheel will treat me.