E21 S50B30, 1980

Danny043
E21 Pro

Post by Danny043 »

Looks like you got some nice upgrades 8) I recently replaced those rubbers for the steering damper as well, made some difference. But they were a pain in the ass to replace :twisted: The gearbox was in the way.

VerDi
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by VerDi »

Pain in the ass, they were a nightmare!!! Removing and replacing took about 30 minutes, putting the shit back together took me about 4 hours, grrrrrrrrr Never again!!
There's no such thing as overpowered...
http://shop.kapaza.be/VerDi/
Danny043
E21 Pro

Post by Danny043 »

That's very long :twisted: :twisted:
Don't know how long it took me and a friend, I think about an hour. At one point he walked away to smoke a sigarette, he couldn't stand it anymore :lol: Then I almost got the thing back in while he was away :shock: But something went wrong so we had to take it out again... Real nightmare indeed.
We both used a plumber wrench (waterpomptang) at each end to compress the damn thing and then we had to push it in both at the same time. The rubbers had to stay in place as well while compressing.
340i
E21 Fanatic

Post by 340i »

hey verdi, your cars awesome man! :D :D
cant belive i didnt see this thread till now (thatl teach me for only looking at the general and technical sections of the forum.. lol)

sorry, whats happening with the e30? that car was mean.

how much were those 02 flares?
J.K.jr.bad.
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): BMW 315, BMW 323
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ADParts

Post by J.K.jr.bad. »

I had the same problem fitting steering rack back, but after some hours I think I found the correct way to put it in the right place. Now don't remember exactly, but it was something like disconecting the steering rods and sliding in it from right to left side.
Last edited by J.K.jr.bad. on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
J.K.jr.bad.
VerDi
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by VerDi »

@340i The E30 cab I still have, it's waiting till its 25 years old and then I will put in a nice engine en buy some new wheels...
The flares where something around 180 euro, but as you can see had to do some modding to it!

@J.K. thanks for the tip, won't be needing it EVER again :D I hope :D But can be usefull for other forummembers!!!
340i
E21 Fanatic

Post by 340i »

VerDi wrote:@340i The E30 cab I still have, it's waiting till its 25 years old and then I will put in a nice engine en buy some new wheels...
ahh ok, so its like a legal thing? cant put different engines in cars under 25 years old? in nz the laws are pretty loose on what you can and cant do, pretty much as long as it still stops and turns and is well engineered you're sweet 8) 8) for example, i could put a blown 454 chev into an e21 no worries and drive it round legal as hahaha (although that would be a bit rediculous..) :lol:
so what engine you gonna put in the e30 when it hits 25?
J.K.jr.bad.
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): BMW 315, BMW 323
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ADParts

Post by J.K.jr.bad. »

I needed to remove this steering rack because of changing oil pump.. So never say never. ;-)
-----------------
J.K.jr.bad.
VerDi
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by VerDi »

I'm thinking about an E36 M3 3.2 engine or something like that, will see when the time is there...
340i
E21 Fanatic

Post by 340i »

that would be pretty sweet with that engine.

does your car have power steering (the e21)? i was just wondering what effect the wide tyres and wide offset rims have on the steering input required due to the larger scrub radius. ie. is it ok to drive or quite heavy for low speed stuff?
VerDi
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by VerDi »

Hey 340i, it has luckyly no powersteering :D That's only added weight :D Turning and stuff go's very well. But since I placed the camber plates and I have an neg. camber it's a little bit harder. But I work out 4 times a week, so no problems with turning that steeringwheel :D
JTY
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 1981 323i

illegal

Post by JTY »

Putting another engine even in >25 year old cars is illegal in Belgium. You can put it on special classic plates, but it stays illegal to swap for another type of engine. As is for modding it too much... All goes well until you crash it. Then there's the insurance that won't pay and you having to sell your house... Better keep away from all this...

Jeroen T.
ac/dennis
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by ac/dennis »

does modding also goes for 8 headlghts on yout front grill? :lol: :lol: :lol:
M15KYY
E21 Fanatic

Post by M15KYY »

i really disliked those arches when i first looked at this journal and thought what the hell was he thinking but when you put that front bumper on WOW!!! it became very clear what you were thinking and congratulations my good man that is one very beautiful e21!! absolutely awesome looking bit of kit and i bet its not too slow either! great work and keep it up!!
340i
E21 Fanatic

Re: illegal

Post by 340i »

JTY wrote:Putting another engine even in >25 year old cars is illegal in Belgium. You can put it on special classic plates, but it stays illegal to swap for another type of engine. As is for modding it too much... All goes well until you crash it. Then there's the insurance that won't pay and you having to sell your house... Better keep away from all this...

Jeroen T.
oh no!! move to new zealand, you can do what you like to cars. its awesome :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
iv got full cover on my car, and for only $400-ish per year (about 200 euro?...). no worries! :D :D

verdi, i like your no p/s philosophy, it is one i share! i only manage 3 times a week at the gym tho ;(