1983 316- RESURRECTION

Share the story on your car, and photos!
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

keep up the good work, looks like its going well

rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Turns out when the engine crane collapsed, it cracked the head. Since it didn't even impact on the head I've decided to write off the engine :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Back to square one, engine suggestions please? M50 is winning.
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »

wo wo wo m50 it!!!!!!! do it!!!!!!! or just to throw a wildcard in there....................... how bout the new ish 4 pot turbo diesel engine..... big tourque
thetomc
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by thetomc »

bite the bullet and follow through with Plan A. Your so close.
Just buy another engine, move your new timing gear over into it and get back on the case.
I know its a pain in the arse but your so close!!
Throw £250 quid at the problem and put it down to bad luck.
Starting with another engine will only end up costing you more i reckon.
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

I'm tempted to buy a running 525i, so I know the engine is ok so I don't have to mess with it. £250 is a lot of money and I had toyed with M50ing it sometime in the future anyway. Someone on E30zone says they have a spare cylinder head so it might be plan A just yet...

I reckon it will cost me more, but I'd also gain 50bhp. I'm going to sleep on it now, and see what the insurance companies say in the morning.
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Latest updates

Subframe engine mounts

After getting my RS2000 engine mounts I was able to fab up some basic brackets using some box section and my trusty angle grinder. Here's one before cutting.

As I needed the engine in the bay and I knew I was going to be doing this solo I made up some dummy mounts which were slotted so they could slide in and out of position without having to move the engine. Once I was happy I made up the slotless proper mounts and the engine sat perfectly according to my tape measure and bubble measure, I bolted them up to the rs2000 mounts.

I then tacked them in place and removed the engine (luckily this time there were no engine crane collapses...). Tacked in place

That's how I've made my engine mounts. I can weld, but not as well as Bodieandoyle so I've asked him nicely if he can pop over and do a better job than me when finally welding them in properly ;)

Brakeing news

Since the lowly 316 is bottom in the range in spec and power, it didn't need to have very powerful brakes. As well as converting the rear to discs with a 323i rear axle and trailing arms, I'm upgrading the front brakes too. I could of gone with 323i calipers, of which I have plenty in my spares, but I've also gained a pair of volvo 240 vented 4 pot calipers. As well as being 4 pot, it's said that they offer 30% more sweep on the rotors than the 323i calipers. They are also near bolt on upgrades, though a few modifications are needed and I haven't got to them yet.

4 pot volvo vs 2 pot 323i caliper

The volvo's cleaned with a wirecup and angle grinder, then a lick of hammerite

323i rotors (sourced for free by the ever kind BnD :D), looking worse for wear

Much better, wirecup again

More brake updates in the near future when my mintex road-race pads arrive and I can bolt them onto the struts, and when I finally go and get a 323i axle off one of my cars!
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

I've sourced my victim... travelled down to Gatwick airport this afternoon to pick up this beaut, 2.5 24v BMW 525i.

Engine will be out sometime next week, and then I'll drop it in to see how it all looks in the E21.
--ALPINA--
E21 Pro

Post by --ALPINA-- »

Rob, just out of curiosity, those volvo calipers looks nice with the hammerite paint.. well nice.. anyway those calipers dont look like there gonna fit, i maybe wrong cos im sure you have to open the mounting holes more for the bolts to match the braking suspension if you know what i mean.. like that unless there different aint gonna be a stright bolt on!!...

J
(- (- (- ---- Project 911 on the hunt ----) -) -)
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

I'm not too sure what you mean. I've had them bolted up to the struts (loosely, without discs), and they are the vented 240 calipers everyone uses. I know I have to slot the caliper holes if thats what you mean.
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Slowly progressing...

Mmm... sexy engine!

Very unsuspecting

Aftermath

Now I need to get the gearbox off another of my E21s, which is a tasty close ratio dogleg gearbox, and drop the fugger into my E21 and see what doesn't fit!
M15KYY
E21 Fanatic

Post by M15KYY »

DIRTY!!! should have stayed with the is lump, fairplay to ya though buddy your doin well!! what are you going to do about the brake master cylinder etc cos the old one wont fit in there with that big dirty six pot will it?
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

I have a few ideas, but my fingers are crossed that it might fit...
rob0r
E21 Pro

Post by rob0r »

Double checked my photos of the M42 engine sitting in the E21... yeah I'm going to have issues!

Couple of ideas so far (literally top of my head stuff), smaller servo and modify current setup to shift it away from the engine. Mount it in the same place as LHD cars and rig up a brake linkage, I have scrap E30s and LHD E21s so it might be feasible. Remote servo is another option £££
Adame21
Newbee

Post by Adame21 »

I was thinking about this problem as well , RHD with that engine.
With external boosters alot of trucks have very small units for the clutch pedal operation , hydro vacks as fitted to lots of early cars mostly italian never seem to have any reliability worth the trouble of fitting. 300zx and nissan patrols have a small booster that goes under the dash in those vehicles for the clutch.

Any idea i had is do away with any power assistances , work out the pedal leverage , master cylinder area , caliper piston area and see if the total pressure can with changing sizes of bore equal if not the same but better than the standard car. After all you don't see people complaining porsches have crap brakes. There sizing has always been large caliper piston area 38mm> 44mm x 4 front 26mm > 32mm rear vs anything from 16mm>19mm master cyinder bore size and they stop well with even low pedal leverage like 3:1.

How is the room at the rear of the engine bay where you could put a smaller master with external fluid res ?
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

I have a similar problem with the track slug, and the solution is a dual master cylinder pedal box, cylinders under the dash, so nothing in the way of exhaust, turbo etc. Saves all the weight of the pushrod linkage too.

I got mine off ebay, and it wasn't too pricey.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0267356517

Comes with cylinders, and if I can't get the ones they sent to work, I can always buy some more of different sizes.

Jim
1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!