my e21 320/6 renovation

Share the story on your car, and photos!
bmw pat
E21 starter

Post by bmw pat »

Did you sandblasted the car yourself? Can you give me the sandblasting set up: pressure,blasting media etc etc...please
Yes I sandblasted the car myselft. The pressure I am using i about 8 bar, that is around 115 psi.

Using regular sandblasting sand, fine grade, its marked 0,1-0,7 mm

here are a picure of my sandblaster. Its a small/medium size blaster. In Norway it cost 15000 norwegian koner. That is around 2700 us dollar.

[img][img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/b ... 000047.jpg[/img][/img]

murran
E21 Pro

Post by murran »

wow top in depth worth! 8)
wish we had the means and fascilitys to go to this level when we were welding ours. would have made a much better job of it.
Jeroen wrote:Bmwe21.net, for all your insurance solutions :P
Zul-Azrin
Newbee

Post by Zul-Azrin »

Wow, our sandblasting equipment is expensive...i wanted to sandblasted my car get rid all the rust, so i planning to buy an air compressor with 2.5 hp and connect it with a sandblaster gun, will this set up be successful?
bmw pat
E21 starter

Post by bmw pat »

Wow, our sandblasting equipment is expensive...i wanted to sandblasted my car get rid all the rust, so i planning to buy an air compressor with 2.5 hp and connect it with a sandblaster gun, will this set up be successful?
It could work. You have to check how much air your sandblaster use.
Lets say it could be something like 500 liters per minute. Then you have to check how much air you compressor can deliver. Lets say your compressor only delivers 200 liters per minute, you will then have to wait for the compressor to build up air pressure all the time because you will empty the tank often.

If you are source a cheap and good blaster, maybe you could get hold of something like this. I have this blaster too, and it works good. Here in Norway it costs something like 400 us dollar. Is uses up to 500 liters of air per minute

[img][img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b80/bmwpat/SB20.jpg[/img][/img]
Zul-Azrin
Newbee

Post by Zul-Azrin »

Thanks mate...its very difficult here in my country to look for a sandblaster dealer thats why i thinking of purchasing its from the internet.By the way, did you striped the engine by yourself?
bmw pat
E21 starter

Post by bmw pat »

By the way, did you striped the engine by yourself?
Yes, all have done all the work on the car myself. By the way, where do you come from?
Zul-Azrin
Newbee

Post by Zul-Azrin »

Im from Brunei Darussalam, a small country in borneo island in Asia region. Im planning to strip down my car. I've sent my car for respray last December and guess what?rust have been developing on my front and rear end, thats why iwanted to really restore the car my self. I really keeping close attention on your project and maybe sometime next year i'll start my own.
bmw pat
E21 starter

Post by bmw pat »

Did some cutting today, and started with my right inner wing.

340i
E21 Fanatic

Post by 340i »

why did you replace both wings? they looked ok in the pics?
especially after doing all the scraping and blasting.
[img]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t218/340i/drift340i.jpg[/img]
bmw pat
E21 starter

Post by bmw pat »

why did you replace both wings? they looked ok in the pics?
especially after doing all the scraping and blasting.
My first plan was to cut out a section in the front an just replace that, but Walloth und Nesch didnt have just the front section of the wings anymore, so I had to order complete front wings.

There were some other small rust holes in the wings apart from in the front, so to make good use of my new wings, I am doing a complete swap

It's a about 2 hours of work to cut out the wings, so its not that much more work than fixing up the old ones.
BMW-POWER
E21 Fanatic

Post by BMW-POWER »

nice work done, i'm following this project :D
what engine are u using for the swap M50, M52?
bmw pat
E21 starter

Post by bmw pat »

Long time since last I updated her. I have now had the car in the caroliner and welded in the new panels
r1nod
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by r1nod »

nice work there keep it up
M15KYY
E21 Fanatic

Post by M15KYY »

waaaaahhh!!! this is gonna be good! :D lovely work so far!! keep it up matey
E21 316 M60
tommi_e21
E21 Mad

Post by tommi_e21 »