Croft Circuit, BMW Trackday, July 12th

Direct links: 2023 Calendar & reports ; All previous event reports
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

I was planning to but my car is still in the workshop and not showing any sign of being back in time. In fact, it's cutting it fine for Bedford on Friday. :cry:

drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

Well Croft has been and gone for another year, lots of cars on track usual BMW's, caterhams, Audi R8 and I spotted a Ford RS200! Sadly my track time was limited.

Started the day on slicks, got them warmed up and had a spirited bit of competitive driving with OLE97P! in his 318ti. Conclusion is that the slug is fast enough on the straight to keep up with M3's, and corners well enough too.

It was drizzling a bit, and I decided it was getting beyond the point at which I was comfortable on slicks, so I swapped to my Toyo T1's which had done a track day at Oulton in February.

Back out on cold tyres, building up to it gently. Still very heavy with a nearly full tank, then charging into Tower (big bend, big braking) the brakes felt funny, then as I went into Barcroft they stopped working properly, pedal all mushy.

Much slithering around ensued in Sunny in/out and I pootled very slowly back to the pits.

The problem was the lower bleed nipple on the passenger front caliper had worked loose and squirted fluid everywhere, I tightened it up OK, bled the caliper as best I could, but by this stage it was rainig properly and I had one tyre coated in brake fluid.

Went back out but couldn't be confident in the brakes, NSF wheel kept locking up, then had a bit of a spin coming out of tower - OLE had a worse one shortly after and dented his car. Not being quite sure what was going on, and not wanting to prang the car while trying to work it out I called it a day early and loaded up. Good bit of fun getting the car back on the trailer as the ramps and bits of wood needed to stop the exhaust etc catching on the trailer were all wet, so ended up with borrowed ramps from someone else's trailer on top of the ones from my trailer, plus 3 guys pushing to help get the car on safely (note to self, next time borrow a trailer with a winch!).

Safe drive home and am sitting here with a nice glass of RIoja.

I suspect the locking was actually a combination of rooted tyres, slippery surface and brake fluid all over the nearside front tyre to make things worse. if the caliper still had air in it it would be less effective, unless there's something I don't know about Wilwood 4 pots. Don't see how air could have got through to the other caliper. I'll have to get the caliper off and look for anything odd, replace all the fluid and bleed it, get some tyres without brake fluid on and see if it works properly then.

Didn't say bye to Nick, as he was deep in conversation, but good organisation as always.

Big note to self, camping in a tent bought from tesco's for £5 about 2 years ago, sleeping on an airbed in a sleeping bag from my parents loft that was a bit small when I was 14 is not ideal trackday prep when you are 40. I will stay in a hotel next time!
Last edited by drjim on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

Glad you and the slug got back in one piece Jim.

Am hoping it staus dry for Bedford Autodrome on Friday afternoon. Mind you, I need my bloody car back first!

Anyone have any experience of mounting a video camera in-car on track days? Just wondering what best position and shots would be? Any advice please guys?
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

I have a bullet cam that connects to the AV in on the camcorder, couldn't be arsed setting it up today, just as well given how little mileage I did (57 miles). Suckers stick it anywhere, but roof above rear view mirror and under the front bumper gave good pics!

Is Bedford MSV? They are a bit funny about camcorders, and don't usually allow suction mounts either. Check with the organiser on that (Nick I presume!).

Was discussing you/your car/ARB's etc with Neil today, also e21 register.

Cars all gone!
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

drjim wrote: Was discussing you/your car/ARB's etc with Neil today, also e21 register.
That sounds ominous. :lol:
Nick
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Nick »

The pictures are here - there's one of Jim somewhere.
..and yes Doc, that was an RS200 - a proper one too - belongs to a mate from another club.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmwccgb/se ... 17/detail/

Regards,
Nick
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

There's a couple of pics of me, spotted Mr Teagles junior on the pitwall for a few laps.

I have worked out I must still have air in the front circuit, this was making the front brakes not work properly so I was pressing pedal harder to make car stop and locking the REARS, rather than the NSF as I thought. My initial feeling was the rears were locking, but then decided it was the NSF.

So I need to go and bleed the front brakes again, see if any air comes out.

If that is all that was wrong then I will be annoyed at myself for not sorting it at the track, but if I'd done the full day I don't know if I'd have survived - by the time I had loaded up, driven back, unloaded everything into the workshop (dumped in a pile), then drove home, I was utterly exhausted.

I think a bit of a fitness drive is needed before Silverstone! Plus sort out the trailer ramp situation a bit better so loading/unloading is easier.

Cars all gone!