Portuguese Green 316

oc_nightmare
E21 starter
My E21(s): Green '82 316 1.8

Re: Portuguese Green 316

Post by oc_nightmare »

323baur wrote:May be a strange twist in your topic, but I have an question to you as a Portugal citizen.

Last year I was on holiday in Portugal (close to Braga and Porto).
Beautifull country...and I almost did buy some old BMW's.
A very close friend of my told me that it is extreme difficult to export cars from Portugal to any other country.
The Portugese government seems to be slow and burocratic to give a export document.
Main question: is this true?

I do like to hear the possibilities..

I would try to contact a company that specializes itself in exporting cars to your country to see what they have to say, because I think it is not that difficult. The process to import a car into Portugal is quite simple if you have all the paperwork but it does take some time.
now if you do want old bmw's, I've spotted a lot of E21's for sale a lot cheaper here in France, mainly the 320/6 and 323i that are very overpriced in Portugal ;)

Jeroen, I will check that, thanks :)

323baur
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by 323baur »

Thanks! I do think that I will come back to Portugal. I probabely will buy some old BMWs..
Do you have a specific car sell site?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
oc_nightmare
E21 starter

Post by oc_nightmare »

323baur wrote:Thanks! I do think that I will come back to Portugal. I probabely will buy some old BMWs..
Do you have a specific car sell site?
Yes, the best one is http://www.olx.pt and there's also http://www.custojusto.pt e_geek

But be extremely careful when buying an old car, portuguese people seem to find value in the worst rust bucket there is. I think the smaller engined BMW's aren't picking up value yet but soon they will, I'm certain of that ;)
luisramos123
Newbee
My E21(s): '82 315

Post by luisramos123 »

Cool, I'm from Portugal too and I've recently purchased an e21 as well!

It's a 315 with 99000 km on the clock (75% sure they are real). A bit of surface corrosion here and there, and a few dings but nothing too serious.

Only place I found rust is below the wind shield rubber, which lets water into the glove box, common problem in these cars. Will be a pain in the ass to fix on a budget, but oh well.

The ignition coil wasn't working properly and it left me stranded once but I've replaced it and it's now running fine.

There's hydraulic fluid by the clutch pedal (slave cylinder?)

The dash and a few interior plastics are cracked, again a common problem in these cars, and most car this old.

Came with the 4 headlights front grill, which I prefer.

Overall my only complain is the colour :wtf ... not really very attractive.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Luis, welcome here as well, perhaps you should make your own presentation topic!

As for the color, most of the stock white and beige 315-316 models had a hard life and didn't survive. So that makes a clean example something quite rare these days, cherish it. Mine is Polaris silver like most people... booringggg
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
323baur
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by 323baur »

Welcome! I just wrecked a beige one, so yours is a bit more rare..
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
luisramos123
Newbee
My E21(s): '82 315

Post by luisramos123 »

Thanks for the welcoming, I'll open my own topic when I finish doing some more fixes to the car. This is a budget build so I won't be doing anything wild to it but I really value internet forums and I intend to do my part and post some useful/interesting stuff. 323baur that sucks, sorry to hear that...
323baur
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by 323baur »

No worries, this particular one will still be a live...A lot off good parts will have their second life in an another one.
http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... lb#p179411
oc_nightmare
E21 starter

Post by oc_nightmare »

Hi Luis,
I saw that E21 for sale in a long time on olx, I think it was in Ourem. Good luck with it :)

What are you going to do about the dashbard? Mine's cracked aswell and I really wanted to fix it or replace it with a good one :)
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Finding a decent dash is getting harder and harder, but I believe there are some businesses specializing in repairing these cracks? Anyone have experience there?
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
oc_nightmare
E21 starter

Post by oc_nightmare »

Well there's an article in Bimmer forums that is the best dash repair I've seen even though it requires about 150dls of stuff and a lot of work will never be the same again as the finished result is painted, so it will never be as tough as an original one. The finished result looks really good though.

don't know if I can post the link here but if I can't please edit my post :)
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... -Pic-Heavy

anyway, I just did a trip to Annecy in the French Alps and my girlfriend took some gorgeous photos, later I'll post them :) 460km, 40-something euros of LPG and 11,8L100km of consumption in mountain roads :)
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

I believe the dash repairs offered by specialized businesses are cheaper and they don't require the entire dash to be repainted.

Looking forward to those photos!!!!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

I would get the dash retrimmed in a nice leather instead of painted.
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
oc_nightmare
E21 starter

Post by oc_nightmare »

So, here go some photos of the trip sunday :)

The leather option is a good one, certainly more resistant than painting over the dash :)
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks for sharing, nice pics!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen