Wiring help !!!

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
Leinho
Newbee
My E21(s): `80 320/6 Manual

Wiring help !!!

Post by Leinho »

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of a full restore and rebuild of my e21. Just put the engine back in the car and now the PITA of wiring has finally come my way ( unavoidable).. :hammer
Thing is I had all the witing out of the car for some time and had the opportunity to fix every broken or crusty waiting and correctly puting it together with oem like tape.
Now fun starts. Some of the witing has no plastic connector with obvious place to go. And since I have no AC on the car and the fuse box has been relocated under the dash, some cables will obviously lead nowhere. But I'm mainly worried about the speedo zone.
I have correctly connected the lights switch, hazards, the steering column wires (missing flasher relay and connector so will have to guess colors)
I know Im missing what i.now know is the wiper relay aka unit that plugs to a big socket under the dash.
I have also discovered which cables go to the brake pedal sensor.

I will post photos later tonight so you can maybe help me trace colors and connections. I have the Haynes manual but I'm getting crazy just looking at it. :crazy
Thank you!!!

Leinho
Newbee

Re: Wiring help !!!

Post by Leinho »

These are some photos of the mess
This is the lights switch conectes and I assume the rest are for defogger or fogs?

Next is this
Same region

Next:
This is where the wiper module thing goes I assume. Any aftermarket would do?

Next
This is where I assume the blinker relay ting goes.. the thing is that there is no socket so I dont know how to wire it. Apparently it had a 3 prong flasher

Next is this
Apparently two brown and violet wires

And finally

This is the right center zone of dash. I assume to do with heating air conditioning?
Phew!!
Leinho
Newbee

Post by Leinho »

UPDATE.
Solved the flasher unit. Now, the rest is still a huge (?)..
All lights seem to be working minus the left rear position light (middle bulb). Bulb is fine and fuse as well, so I might unwrap the wiring and search for something there.

If anyone has some clue about the rest of the photos above it would mean a lot. Thank you!!
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Perhaps someone has a link to a wiring diagram so you can work out the color coding, or get a 6-cyl Haynes manual for example. On the picture where you're holding the 3 connectors, top left is power to the radio I think.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Leinho
Newbee

Post by Leinho »

Jeroen wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:46 pm Perhaps someone has a link to a wiring diagram so you can work out the color coding, or get a 6-cyl Haynes manual for example. On the picture where you're holding the 3 connectors, top left is power to the radio I think.
Justo got my hands On a Haynes manual. Once i started learning (took days) it's marvelous. Still jave ti figure out some thinhs due to the wiring been messed with in the past, but all in all is coming together well.
I am still clueless about the brown and yellow airesi, can't find them in the manual.