anti sway bars

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
tonydude
Newbee
My E21(s): '80 320/6

anti sway bars

Post by tonydude »

Hi guys,

I am looking to fit sportier anti sway bars to my 320/6, but i can't find any from the big aftermarket parts manufacturers. If anyone could tell me where to get some good ones i'd really appreciate it.

Thank you very much,

Tony

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: anti sway bars

Post by Jeroen »

There is a complete front and rear kit from Suspension Techniques that is good quality too, using the front bar myself. Includes all you need, bushes etc. Available from Ireland Engineering and Hardeman Autosport afaik.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
tonydude
Newbee
My E21(s): '80 320/6

Post by tonydude »

Thank you very much for your help! Will check it out
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): '81 323i Manual

Post by e21Keith »

I am told that the original e21s in the BMW Cup class in the UK used an additional standard anti roll bar bolted to the existing one, so they ran with 2 front ARBs. The information comes from someone who used to work for BMW at the time the cars were being prepared. There were a set of special brackets that allowed fitting of the second ARB. has anyone else heard of or seen this?
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

These used to be available on the net in the past as well, believe these were from ST as well. But I think I'd rather go for a 1 piece bar and on top of that I have the Alpina reinforcement bar fitted underneath the ARB as well. You can just see that one right underneath the deep front spoiler on below photo. So I went for best of both worlds, 25mm front bar from ST and only the Alpina center bar so the ends of the sway bar can still move freely- ish haha

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): '81 323i Manual

Post by e21Keith »

I'm not unhappy with the way my e21 handles with everything stock and Eibach springs, I was just thinking that as spare front ARBs are plentiful (I have 3 spare) this could be an easy and inexpensive mod to see how it goes?
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

You can give that a try but then you have to hook both bars up properly otherwise it won't make a difference of course.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Jeroen wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:35 am There is a complete front and rear kit from Suspension Techniques that is good quality too, using the front bar myself. Includes all you need, bushes etc. Available from Ireland Engineering and Hardeman Autosport afaik.
So would indeed recomment those ST sway bars? Don't know the brand, looks like something like KW? KW which I associate with lowered Golfs and caps and fur collars...

What about the quality? Everything in the kit that is needed? Like with Eibach?
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Hahaha ST is a quality brand indeed and can be obtained through Ireland Engineering or Hardeman for example. The set is fully complete and of proper quality finishing indeed. I bought a set together with our buddy Sven as I already had the Alpina rear bar fitted. Used the front ST bar myself, Sven fitted the rear ST bar. No issues whatsoever and does make a difference. If you follow below link you can see that the required mounting parts are included.

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/25 ... r-kit-e21/
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '77 EU 316 (2.0 - manual/dogleg - lsd)

Post by petroscf »

Only issue is that this kit fits only models after 1978
In older models, correct me if I am wrong, only rear arb fits.
And only thicker rear (without thickening the front one as well) has a bit funny results.
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

That is a correct observation, it will not fit the early front suspension setup. However, what is to be expected if you only upgrade the rear (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-suspension- ... /51005~st/)? You will increase the chance of oversteer, but only slightly, especially if you set it to its mildest position. Even then you will reduce body roll. I do know that ST used to have a secondary sway bar that clamps onto the original one, that might work in your setup (sorry, couldn't find a picture on line). And otherwise this might help stiffen up the front as well: https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/lo ... brace-e21/

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
LloydRT
Newbee
My E21(s): 320i

Post by LloydRT »

Jeroen wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:14 am Hahaha ST is a quality brand indeed and can be obtained through Ireland Engineering or Hardeman for example. The set is fully complete and of proper quality finishing indeed. I bought a set together with our buddy Sven as I already had the Alpina rear bar fitted. Used the front ST bar myself, Sven fitted the rear ST bar. No issues whatsoever and does make a difference. If you follow below link you can see that the required mounting parts are included.

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/25 ... r-kit-e21/
Alright, we need a front ST bar soon. Got to finish installing the front bumper and winch on the Wrangler this weekend before we can clear the garage and take the E21 in. Gonna take a look at that site later.
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '77 EU 316 (2.0 - manual/dogleg - lsd)

Post by petroscf »

Jeroen wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:19 pm That is a correct observation, it will not fit the early front suspension setup. However, what is to be expected if you only upgrade the rear (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-suspension- ... /51005~st/)? You will increase the chance of oversteer, but only slightly, especially if you set it to its mildest position. Even then you will reduce body roll. I do know that ST used to have a secondary sway bar that clamps onto the original one, that might work in your setup (sorry, couldn't find a picture on line). And otherwise this might help stiffen up the front as well: https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/lo ... brace-e21/

I already have had this brace for some years now, fitted together with the factory 22,5mm front ARB. This was fitted many years ago, before the quick rack. Back then, I had it fitted at the same time with the front strut brace, and I remember that I had a much better feeling of the steering wheel, ok and a bit more tight front.

When I added the 19mm rear in 2019, indeed body roll was significantly reduced. However, in motorways, for example during a long turn at 120 + km/h, (or faster), some funny feeling was happening : the car actually HAD some body roll at the front and less at the rear, so the car felt like two different pieces, I am not sure I can explain this in a better way. But it suddenly became a bit weird
When I fitted again the 16 mm rear ARB, the car had some more body roll all right, but the overall steering feeling is back to normal, it goes like one piece again.
So my conclusion is that one should not fit only the rear one, but only the set, if possible.
How "easy" is it to convert the early front into a facelift one? In order to be able to fit the ST set?
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever