Boot floor rot woes.

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
Sav
E21 starter
My E21(s): 83 uk 316 manual 5spd

Boot floor rot woes.

Post by Sav »

Hello again guys and girls, I always do a good search on my issues but I can't find anything on replacing the boot floor panels. I suspect they are rotten in the usual places. I've some pics I will try to add links for in case anyone has the pattern they go in, Wallothnesch have the panels (I think) I'm just wondering if anyone has replaced the lot before or do most folk just patch it up?
I'm trying to reverse quite a lot of bodging on the poor thing and I'd rather repair it properly. However, I've never removed a boot floor before so I'd really appreciate any help on this matter. Now I just cant wait to see how the sills are... :popcorn

This is the n/s rot (possibly accident damage too, it was full of bathroom silicone.
https://imgur.com/aQSmdbq
Here is the n/s rot, its where the little hoop is (is it an exhaust hanger or something?)
https://imgur.com/qpIyv7H
Here is the little hoop that came off
https://imgur.com/OGJqVKf
And the rot under the filler pipe, which I suspect is a common one, It's literally just seam sealer.
https://imgur.com/qmTnwJZ

I just hope this post goes up okay as I'm not too well versed on image links etc.
Thanks again for your time and patience reading my woes, I am extremely grateful for any suggestions and advice.

uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Re: Boot floor rot woes.

Post by uwbuurman »

All classic an very well known spots. The braclet that came off is a part of the factory transport system. So no functionality now.

I guess the silicone sealant is not an accident repair, but a very bad leakrepair after the first rust. In the Dutch topic of Walter are a couple of pics of some repairs I did at the same spot.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Sav
E21 starter

Post by Sav »

Ah, wonderful thank you very much indeed for your help. Wow, it really is very similar damage isnt it? I've noticed that the seal for the boot seal lifts of its rail every time the boot is raised so its been getting in a while i think. Its great having reference material on this one because I have to admit that i am nervous, but theres a first time for everything isnt there? Thanks again for your help, I'm going to study your work very carefully right now.
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by uwbuurman »

Just one thing: do it in small parts. If you tear it all apart, then it will scare you in the end. So one side at the time, and don't be afraid. You'll get it right!!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
Sav
E21 starter

Post by Sav »

uwbuurman wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:38 pm Just one thing: do it in small parts. If you tear it all apart, then it will scare you in the end. So one side at the time, and don't be afraid. You'll get it right!!
Thank you so much and duly noted, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I've been looking through your thread and wow what wonderful work you do. I'm sure I will return to it many times over the course of the project. I only wish I spoke Dutch, I'd be awake all night.
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by uwbuurman »

Well then, take a look in my English topic, my own 323i.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
Sav
E21 starter

Post by Sav »

uwbuurman wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 pm Well then, take a look in my English topic, my own 323i.
Read front to back on that one, amazing! Better than new i'd imagine.
Sav
E21 starter

Post by Sav »

Here a potentially silly question but please bear with me. What are the correct panel removing tools so I don't mess things up along the way. I've had a good look around at spot weld drill bits but the one I have is way too short. Is it the longer cutter that I need or is there a kit or slimline chuck extender for the close bits? I'm going to start drilling out the small beam/strengthening panel that goes from the tub to the inside of the rear panel in the boot and my chuck is too wide to get a straight cut. I've had a good look but I can't seem to find an extra-long bit
Thanks everyone
Sav
E21 starter

Post by Sav »

Hello again guys, I got a chuck extension for the spot welds, now I'm just wondering how the boot floor edges attach to the outer skin? Are they welded? (which will ruin paint I'd imagine?) or is it welded to the wheel tub and boot floor and then just sealed?
I've attempted to add an image properly this time, thanks in advance everyone.

uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by uwbuurman »

uwbuurman wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:54 pm Well then, take a look in my English topic, my own 323i.
Well, all the pics are there... take some time and read it through, I would say.

And yes, it is welded to the outer skin, but richt behind the bumper. So it is doable to repair the paintdamage yourself.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
Sav
E21 starter

Post by Sav »

Ah yes, page 5 shows it all open doesn't it? My apologies there, I'd forgotten that. I read it all the way through at first but forgot which page it was on. I did look at the repair panels from w&n as the other side is rotten through too, but as someone who is new to welding, I'm not too sure which route to take? I'm going to have to learn to fabricate patches anyway as it looks like the rear strut tower is perforated at the top and I've found that the drain channels for the wiper motor/ heater void have rotten through to the front wheel arches, I take it that's quite common too? Again my apologies for silly questions, I'll learn soon enough, thanks again for your help.
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by uwbuurman »

Silly questions don't exist ;-) Do keep on asking.

My advice: do it one spot at the time. Get the two bootfloorpanels from W&N and a good weldingmachine. Take my pics as guide and buy a good spotwelddrill, which allows you to drill out the spotwelds, so the parts stay (quite) intact. Start at 1 spot. Repair that complete. Learn. Make mistakes. Next spot will be better, since you've learned. I would say start in one of the corners of that floor.

Ask everthing. Don't be affraid. Just start doing it. And wear sunscreen.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
Sav
E21 starter

Post by Sav »

Thank you very much for the support, It helps a great deal. I am just waiting for an opportunity to pick up a welding machine. A friend of the family has a Clarke 130amp in good condition with a few spools of wire etc that they are kindly donating to me. It's just a case of picking it up. I've got just the one fresh 8mm spot weld drill that I'd imagine won't last long so maybe I'll buy a set next time. Thank you for the great advice, I'd imagine doing it one at a time to completion will be a good boost to confidence too. The sun cream is probably the best piece of advice I've been given. I've never been told that one before, seem's obvious once it's pointed out doesn't it?
Thanks again.
bealo
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): 83 316 1.8
82 320/6

Post by bealo »

I’m following this Sav as I am also new to welding and have a 320/6 that’s sat in my mates yard waiting for 2 years now 😬

It’s pretty rotten so I’ll be going down the same route as you

Be sure to start a thread in the relevant section 👍🏻

Cheers Iain
You can't polish a turd.... but you can roll it in glitter!!!!