For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
Pawel
Newbee
My E21(s): '77 320/6 manual

Blocked gearbox

Post by Pawel »

Hi,
Need your urgent help fellows.
I wanted to take my car for a ride yesterday, after a 1 month break, and for some strange reason the gearbox got totally blocked.
I only managed to choose the reverse gear somehow and now it's stuck.
No matter if the engine is running or not. And no matter if I press the clutch pedal or not.
BTW - the pedal is working surprisingly smoothly, as if there was no resistance at all.
I checked underneath the car whether there was any leakage anywhere but there are no stains at all.
What is weird is that it was all just fine a month ago, during the previous drive.
So it looks like all those issues showed up as a result of the car stadning still for a while.
What could be the reason?
Is it the clutch or the gearbox itself?
Is there any simple way to fix it onsite so that I can drive to a garage somehow without a need to tow the vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks!
Pawel

uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Re: Blocked gearbox

Post by uwbuurman »

Yeah, drive it backwards to the shop....

If you say the pedal goes very light, than it is my guess the the master cilinder is gone. Leaking fluid in the carpet under the pedalbox. Or else it "ll be the slave cilinde, but then I would suspect some leakage showing underneath the car.

But if so, then the car can be yanked out of gear, by pulling hard on the shifter, hence it doesnt freeup on pressing the clutch pedal.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport