A belated introduction - 1983 316

Mark3
E21 starter
My E21(s): 1983 RHD 1.6 manual

A belated introduction - 1983 316

Post by Mark3 »

Evening All,

It's about time I got round to saying hello properly and posting a few pictures of my E21.

I've had it for a little over 3 months and it has spent most of its life on axle stands up until now.

It is a 1983 316 5 speed manual with ~95k on the clock and it is in remarkably clean condition. This is how it looked the day I collected it:

and this is it sitting next to my E9 project (now sold) and my V8 Supra.

It had already been stripped out (so I could check for rust when I bought it) and had bucket seats put in it. It also has a Webber DTML 32/34 carb, the battery relocated to the boot, TEIN lowering springs, massively cambered banded steel wheels and a performance exhaust.

To get it through the MOT I had to sort out a lot of electrics (mainly the lights), fit a new brake hard pipe and replace all of the flexi brake pipes.

I then set about doing the following:

Changed the fuel tank hoses (the joiner hose looked pretty perished)
Whilst I had the tanks off I refurbished them and gave them a couple of coats of underseal
Adjusted the valve spacings
Replaced the engine mounts
Replaced the carb spacer as it had split
Fitted yellow fog lights to both sides and wired them up
Replaced the oil pressure switch
Fitted oil pressure, battery and vacuum gauges
Fitted a MOMO steering wheel
Fitted square number plates front and rear
Fitted a coolant catch can
Applied a lot of underseal and cleaned up/painted some parts that were showing slight rust
Removed the roof rack ;)

This is how it looks now

I have since learned from BMW that the optional extras from the factory were a rev counter and sunroof (both of which I am very happy about), and I realised the other day that it has electric mirrors!! :)

I still have a few jobs to do: finish fitting the stereo, take the wiper motor apart and diagnose why the wipers only work on full speed, another engine oil change, change gearbox and diff oils, fit polybushes to the front end (the rear can wait), sort the rest of the wiring as it is a mess, and I would like an LSD and baffled sump however I can't justify them at the moment.

It's not the fastest car in the world but it is definitely great fun to drive. I am taking it to the Nurburgring in next month with a couple of mates; we will be an F30 335D, E30 325 and E21 316 convoy.

I have already had quite a few questions answered so thanks. This is a great site with some awesome cars and nice write ups.

Cheers,

Mark
Last edited by Mark3 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: A belated introduction

Post by Jeroen »

:thumbsup welcome mate and thanks for the intro, the car is not a bad start, not bad at all!

BTW moving this topic to the 4 cyl section in the Registry here: viewforum.php?f=53
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Re: A belated introduction

Post by uwbuurman »

Nice one! E9 project looks like a long term plan...
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Mark3
E21 starter
My E21(s): 1983 RHD 1.6 manual

Re: A belated introduction - 1983 316

Post by Mark3 »

Thanks guys, and thanks for moving the thread :)

The E9 was a project too far for my skills I'm afraid but it has gone to someone who will hopefully get it back on the road.