Max's '82 320.......getting there!?

max
Upcoming E21 fanatic

It's alive!!!! NOW WITH PICS!!

Post by max »

Well my 320 has an MOT!!
I took the car up to James of JFI Classic Cars, and he's done a lot of work. Now it's having paint! Should be ready this week or next.
I got in touch with James after Marke21 put up a link to the JFI site, as he had a 316 for sale. The 316 is still there but missing its gearbox now.
I was about to throw in the towel with my car, after being let down but the guy lined up to finish it. But James convinced me to keep going with it as it was nearly there. I when up to see he so I could see his work and meet the fella. He's a real nice guy, knows his stuff, had donor cars there, his labour price is very good.
Although it passed the mot, James said the shocks are a bit pants, and really need new ones to make the most of the poly bushes. I really don't know which way to go?!
I phoned Larkspeed to order a Spax kit, but delivery time is 4-6 weeks, and my wedding is in 3 and I wanted it as my wedding car! ( Also the price of the Spax kit has gone up quite a bit, since I last looked?!)
I'm waiting to hear back about Billies and H&R springs, hopefully I can get them quicker. If I could get Gaz coilies quick I'd get them but their turn around is about 6.
Hopefully I can get something sorted for my big day.
I'll put so e pics up as soon as I get it back!
Cheers, Max
Last edited by max on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: It's alive!!!!

Post by Jeroen »

:popcorn
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
polov8
E21 Pro
My E21(s): '83 Polaris silver 316

Post by polov8 »

I think getting a car that's been off the road for a while, or had a ton of work, MOT'd is one of my favourite car feelings, Right up with a freshly rebuilt or transplanted engine firing up.

Nice work sir!
Andy
max
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by max »

News flash...the car is ready to be picked up!!!
max
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by max »

max
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Re: It's alive!!!! NOW WITH PICS!!

Post by max »

Here's how she looks now. But hopefully by the end of the day it'll be a be closer to the ground?! The springs were delivered to James the end of last week, and the Spax shocks are due today.
I was starting to think the car wouldn't be ready for my wedding, but it's looking like it could happen now! I have to say that Spax were very good, I told them I needed the shocks ASAP and explained why, they said they'd do their best to get them made up quickly, and they did! Also very good service from the guys I bought the springs off, TA Technics from an ebay shop. Came from Berlin, really good communication, and quick delivery.
andy205
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by andy205 »

Looks good, even better when a little lower, I saw your car last month when I was collecting my car from James.
max
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by max »

Another up date.
The car was indeed back for my wedding! It got delivered, the evening before. So the morning of the wedding my best man and me, set about cleaning 15 years of dirt from the interior!! After an hour or so it was looking good. So ribbons were attached, and it was filled up with fuel. I parked it up in the street, with is pretty cambered, and when I came back to the car after a few minutes, the car was generously peeing out its fuel. Looked like it was coming from the top of the tank! So I drove it back to the hotel to get our selfs scrubbed up, and I thought if there was a big puddle under the car I would forget it. But there wasn't, not a drop?!
So we donned our suits and left for the wedding. Panicking that we were going to arrive at the wedding in a ball of flames! But it seemed fine.
We were blessed with a beautiful warm day, but the car didn't seem to enjoy the weather at all! In fact in the cross town traffic, it was getting quite hot under the collar/bonnet! As we drove I watched the temp gauge steadily rising, which coincided with my buttocks tightening! Then my best man yelped "there's smoke coming out of the bonnet!", so I corrected him saying it was steam.
Now I was in full panic mode, and needed to ditch the car, but every way I wanted to get out of town and the traffic, I hit road works and traffic! So at the last minute I drove to my sisters and dumped it there, quickly put some ribbons on her Mini convertible and sped to the wedding. Phew. But I did arrive the same time as the bride!
Everything from that point went perfectly.
Oh and the clutch started giving up the ghost too.
Mihajlo
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 1982 315swap323i

Post by Mihajlo »

Rubber sealing on tank give up and that's why are you losing fuel.
Happened to me few years before, but I drove it like a maniac just to "use" fuel i paid so less could leak from the tank :D
Don't fill it up and dont park where is cambered. :) When having half of the tank or less, than leaking is no problem.
congratulations on wedding!
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Congrats, glad the car was ready in time!

The fuel leak will either be the seal just described or one of the breather hoses on top. Most hoses can be reached through the cover underneath the rear seat, apart from the one on top of the other tank half For that one you need to lower the tank half. Replace all hoses and you're good for many years again. If it was peeing on the drivers/RHD side you may be lucky as those hoses can be reached easily.

On the steam, was it just spilling through the caop because it was overheating? More on both topics in the FAQ section!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
max
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by max »

Hi guys,
I ordered a new sender unit O ring from BMW. But when I took off the access panel under the seat I could see that the breather hasn't been fitted properly, and also didn't have a clip on. So I fitted that on. But I also took the sender unit out, and cleaned it up, as there was a fair amount of surface rust, then fitted the new O ring. Seems ok now. I just hope the breather is attached correctly to the other tank?!
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Fingers crossed this will be enough for now then. Don't know from what side it was leaking? Always my test when getting a 'new' E21: fill the fuel tank up as much as possible, to the last drop, then see if it starts leaking...
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

btw now merging this thread with your original thread and moving it to the 6 cyl owners gallery. Feel free to modify the topic title there...
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
max
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Re: Max's '82 320.......getting there!?

Post by max »

Well heres a little update.
This is the inside of the thermostat, after i finally got it off.
But also here are few snaps of how its sits now, on its TA Technix 60/40mm springs and short Spax shocks.
Getting a lift home from David Sheppard based near Brecon, nice guy transports where ever at resenable prices 07727115124
Looked great with the robbins.... shame it didnt get to the wedding!
raseeda green
E21 Fanatic

Re: Max's '82 320.......getting there!?

Post by raseeda green »

I like this car, and I'm glad you got to your wedding, I hope you are too hihi!
This car reminds me of mine and mine also piss out from the tank when just as I was getting it back but luckily for me i didn't make big as plan as you! Will be checking the post mate.. Nice car
316 auto raseeda green
323 red m52 modified