Eddie's E21 316

Eddie.
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): [O==[][]==O]

Re: Eddie's E21 316

Post by Eddie. »

I tell you what Jim, I might just take you up on that! I'd be very grateful, even if it's just someone else to cast their eye over it, I can't figure it out at the moment

johne21
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by johne21 »

Hi Eddie, sounds like fuel starvation, a quick test to eliminate the fuel pressure regulator is to "pinch" the fuel return hose at the end of the fuel rail with a brake pipe clamp or molegrips, this will increase fuel pressure, possibly slowing the tick over, (weak mixture) and then try to see if it will rev out, if it does this points to a faulty FPR

John.
1976 e21 320i A4 Alpina #1755
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

How much are we talking about when you say "pinch" it?

I assume I don't want to completely cut off te fuel return?

I do have a fuel pressure guage on the way, so I was going to check the pressure at the rail to see if that is the problem.
johne21
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by johne21 »

Hi Eddie, just squeeze the pipe with pliers or whatever you have to increase the fuel pressure on the injector fuel rail and rev the engine to see if it picks up better, this is just a quick test to point you in the right direction, however a fuel pressure gauge is the way to go.
1976 e21 320i A4 Alpina #1755
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

Yeah, I've got a fuel pressure gauge on the way, I'll just use that and see what my results are.
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

Engine appears to be sorted now, it turned out to be the wiring to the TPS.

I bought the loom off someone, and I can only assume they had spliced something into the TPS wiring, I never clocked it but on closer inspection it was clear to see that the work done wasn't great and the joins had corroded and gone pretty bad, which was sending a bad signal to the ECU and causing my issues.

Cut the bad wire out and soldered in a new section, reset the TPS and it seems to work fine now.

Hopefully back on the road soon.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

:thumbsup
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

Car is up and running and I've been enjoying it for a few weeks now.

I've also been busy working away on it.

Coolant temperature gauge from Stack:

The car is slightly overcooling so I want to be able to monitor coolant temps (I've had a BMW with cooling issues before, and it's not much fun)

I also mounted an iPhone 5/5S dock to the centre console, so I can mount the phone and play music from it. All wired in and fixed in position:

I also bought some Recaros. They're from an Opel Manta GTE and they need plenty of cleaning up before they can go in, but they were super cheap and they're nice to sit in. My interior will be getting wrapped up and put somewhere for safe storage, as it is spotless and I'd like to hang onto it.

I'll make some subframes for them soon and hopefully have them test fitted soon.
Mihajlo
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 1982 315swap323i

Post by Mihajlo »

My seats had GTE badge also!
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

Another update:

New seats are coming along nicely, my design for the subframes is a little bit awesome, but I'll wait until they're in properly before I touch on that too much.

Got a few bits on order but nothing of any major merit, other than the holes in the front wing/valance join will soon be covered by a custom trim, more on that when it's done.

Tomorrow (12/07/15) is Didsbury Classic Car Show, so today was spent detailing the car in preparation for the show. A few photos of the car this afternoon after the detail.

I'll be at a few shows this year, main one being Retro Rides Gathering, which I can't wait for.
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

Not been on here for ages!

No pictures in this update, but some of you will be pleased to know the front bumper is making its way back onto the car :)

I'm also tempted to put the original wheels back on, but still retain the coilovers, we'll see about that one though.

I'll get some photos up soon.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Good, would be nice to read and see some updates indeed!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

Sorry it took so long, I've been incredibly busy as I'm now back at university, and spare time has become a rare commodity.

I really like it, I still love them de-bumpered, but it does look great with the original bumper back on.

Need to sort the throttle cable out, as it has become sticky. I've found a site that does all the parts for making your own custom cables, so I'll go with that.
croma_man
E21 Pro
My E21(s): '83 EU 327i

Post by croma_man »

check the engine mounts, if its gone, the throttle can get stuck because of the increased engine movement.
Eddie.
E21 Fanatic

Post by Eddie. »

The engine mounts were brand new when I swapped the engine to the M20, that was less than 1000 miles ago!