RUH´s trackday E21

ruh
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 320/6

RUH´s trackday E21

Post by ruh »

Cheers guys.

Here´s my tracktoy. Long story short, i saved it 5 years ago where it was sitting and rotting in a driveway. Bought it and fixed an absolutely idiotic amount of rust. The plan was to have it on the street, and it was for a short while. However after sitting still for maybe 10 years in a driveway the original M20 carburettor engine just caved in. I was kindof at a crossroads, but decided to modify it. The car was so far gone that it would never be an original showwinner again. So why not have some fun instead. So i installed a M20B25 with fuel injection etc and those 160bhp is really what this car should have had from the start. My god it goes like stink. And not in a crazy insane way (its still only 160bhp) but in a cool sofisticated way. Smooth, but angry :smoke

Anyways, that became the start for a trackday car E21.

The car specs are as follows:

1981 E21 320-6 Bavaria edition.
The bavaria edition has a metal sliding sunroof, a big blaupunkt radio with synthesizer, one electrically adjustable side mirror, and green tinted windows.

M20B25 dyno´ed at 160,5hp (its a real nice and clean engine)
5 speed original eco gearbox
E28 525 rear axle 188mm pumpkin.
E28 rear disc brakes, the drum function has been scrapped and the discs are adjustable.
Hydraulic handbrake (switch)
E28 525 brake discs and calipers rear with Blue Stuff pads.
E12 front hubs
E12 528 front vented disc brakes
E12 528 4 piston calipers, Blue Stuff pads.
E39 M5 fully adjustable coilovers front and rear VOGTLAND
8x15" ET0 Trans Am Turbo alloys
205/50 Kumho Ecsta semislicks
Polyurethane rubbers all over.
Battery and fuel tank relocated to boot.
Race spec fibreglass bonnet/hood and boot/trunk lid with racing locks.
JDM Style bolt on arch extensions.
2,5" exhaust with side exit just before the rear wheel driver side
Short shift package
E21 316/318 front grille and lights (single headlight front)
E21 pre facelift front valance (not plug n play!)

If i won a million i´d Group 5 it bodywise, and install a 500hp Smeding V8 :screwy :screwy :screwy

With best regards
RUH
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: RUH´s trackday E21

Post by Jeroen »

Nice work on getting this car back into action! Some serious work on upgrades making it ready for trackdays which are great fun of course. I'd install a full cage first though, any plans for that?
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
ruh
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by ruh »

Jeroen wrote:Nice work on getting this car back into action! Some serious work on upgrades making it ready for trackdays which are great fun of course. I'd install a full cage first though, any plans for that?
Hi Jeroen. Yes a full roll cage is on the design board. Trackdays here are not like they are elsewhere, its really just "open track" and alot of guys come with their completely stock normal streetcars and do some laps. So a rollcage is not required, only thing required is a crash helmet. On the other end of the scale tubular chassis homemade cars are not alowed either. :cheers

I am planning to weld the roll cage this summer
With best regards
RUH
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Over here it depends on the organization and the track as well, a lot is allowed but since the E21 chassis is not that tough, a cage is advised
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
ruh
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by ruh »

Jeroen wrote:Over here it depends on the organization and the track as well, a lot is allowed but since the E21 chassis is not that tough, a cage is advised
Yeah the regulations are very different from country to country. The E21 chassis is very soft, if you jack it up the doors wont close e_surprised

I am planning to do a weld in cage, that will be implementet to the cars chassis on a, b and c pillars. Also the rollcage will be attached to the front strut towers.
With best regards
RUH