How "i" removed my rear glass and chrome.

pandemonium001
E21 Pro
My E21(s): E12 535i T (ish)

How "i" removed my rear glass and chrome.

Post by pandemonium001 »

i did it today. this is how i got on.
start with this.
all you need is this.
i started here
use the screwdriver to gently push the rubber slightly lower than center until it starts to tuck behind the metal and work your way along the width of the blade at a time.
get to here then go to the b pillar
start working your wayt up the same method.
the window will start to pop out all on it own so watch out i was holding it with right hand and rolling the seal in with my thumb and index finger
will start to look like this
now work along the top
by the time you have done this much it will pull straight out towards you if you are standing in the passenger door area.

rear window same method.
at no point have i pushed the window or removed any trim
will sit like this after pushing in right/top and left areas of the seal.
pullout and straight up tada.

remove these screws either with drill or screwdriver
remover chromecover and pull aft section out
the forward section has little clips on the inside so prise straight out working from bottom a bit at a time, use a rag/lollipop stick to support screwdriver if you care about your paint.
when you get to here DONT PULL OR TWIST, curl the roof rail trim up towards the roof and it curls off from front to back.
hopefully this will help any one in the future.

arshad76
E21 Pro
My E21(s): Considering another E21

Re: How "i" removed my rear glass and chrome.

Post by arshad76 »

Nice pics, good write up - thanks for sharing!
UK Moderator
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Now let me make this a sticky and also add this to our FAQ section as this question is being asked almost on a weekly basis!

A few additional remarks to make this even more complete:

Rear side windows: easy to remove as shown, complete with the chrome outer trim. If you want to remove the chrome for whatever reason, make sure to refit it before putting the window and seal back in or you won't be able to get it on the seal again. Muy importante!

Rear windscreen: btw this also goes for the front windscreen, the chrome insert is best removed (often they are brown instead of chrome anyway after many years so you may want to replace them). Gives the seal more flex making removal easier, and refitting a lotttt easier. Takes some patience to put it back in but with some greasy stuff and a wide flat screwdriver you'll be ok (there are also special tools for this job).

Please let me know if at some point you decide to remove the photos so I can host them elsewhere.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
BigG
Newbee

Post by BigG »

i was just about to ask on here how to remove the side glass, nice one :D
I need to fit the rear screen next, do you fit the rubber first? any thing I should look out for, thanks.
Peter V.
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 320/6

Post by Peter V. »

To fit the front and rear windows you make sure you have the rubber around the window. In the rubber you place a solid cord (the same one you use to dry your clothes on) and overlap them for about 10 cm on the bottem of the window.

Then place the window with the rubber in the car and pull out the cord from the inside of the car. Left and rightside the same distance for every moment you pull it. It goes the best when someone at the outside pushes the window in place.
The cord pulls the rubber of the window in the right place. When finished you place the chrome filling to stretch the rubber.
Gr Peter V.

.Some say he eats nuts and bolts for breakfast, all we know is he is called the carburetorman.

BMW E21, 1981 320/6 Ascot Grau.
BMW E85, 2004 Z4 2.5i Sterling Grau.
BMW F31, 2017 320dA EDE Luxuryline Mineral Grau.
BigG
Newbee

Post by BigG »

Thanks for that :D
Just did it and went in a treat.
sheriff
Newbee

Post by sheriff »

sorry to dig up an old thread, but am I right in thinking that it is the chrome that holds the rubber seal and therefore the windows in place? Or is it purely for aesthetics and can be removed altogether?
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

You need it to press the rubber into place, but it can be removed without problems if you want to replace it with a new example, the windows won't fall out immediately. But I would not recommend driving without it and it may cause leaks as well.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen