Recognising 5 speed gearboxes

Dod
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Re: Recognising 5 speed gearboxes

Post by Dod »

I have a Gearbox supposidly from a 323i. Its a Getrag M60, it has the reversing light switch on the top, on the top of the bell housing it has 0807 37 GG stamped on it and it has 22 245004000 stamped on the tail end next to the 3 bolt prop flange.

1. How do I tell if its a 4,5 or Dog Leg box?

2. Also, the pin that comes from the input shaft and into the crank shaft has snapped off. I understand this is to stop the box juddering while the clutch is engaged. Is this an issue or still usable?

3. Finally, the box is to be used to convert an Auto to Manual, do I need the prop as well?

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

1. 4 or 5 sp: 5 speeds has an extension, see diagram on http://www.bmwe21.net/?page_id=124

Since the rear covers are not always the right type (from experience), if its a 5 sp the best way to check sport/eco is to try the shift pattern. Either with the mechanicals attached up to the actual gearstick, or by just trying the shifter linkage with a strong pin through the securing hole. Please take into account that the shift pattern is mirrored if you try straight on the linkage.

2. so you mean on the side of the bell housing? Do you have a picture?

3. yes you do, the gearbox has a different length meaning the prop is also a different length
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Dod
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by Dod »

Thanks, so I've learned its a 5spd nondog leg box needing an input shaft. lol

Appreciate all the help.
lmbm
Newbee

Post by lmbm »

Hello E21 Fans,
Greetings from Portugal,

would appreciate your help identifying this Getrag gearbox which i got along with an E30 ( 4 cylinder ) i 've bought some time ago.
According to explanations in the forum i'm lead to believe this is a 5 speed dogleg sports gearbox from a 6 cylinder engine, also if i was not mistaken when checking the shift pattern it seemed like a dog leg box, but would like to be sure on that.

can you please help ? below some shots on the box:

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Luis
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Looks like a 242 M10 4 speed to me, without drive for the mechanical speedo. E30 I guess.

Keep in mind that the shift pattern is mirrored without the full shifter linkage

Some more info here: http://www.bmwe21.net/?page_id=124
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
selcukhasim
Newbee
My E21(s): '80 E21 323i From Turkey

Post by selcukhasim »

How can you help about decoding my gearbox?

Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Not yet as the numbers on the cover don't have to be right. More pics required and on the web page you can find all the points of identification as well:

http://www.bmwe21.net/?page_id=124
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
ruh
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 320/6

Post by ruh »

Hi guys. I am wondering what kind of gearbox this is ? It has not got the 5 speed overdrive, but it does have a M60 stamp (so for an M20). But the 4 speed boxes i have seen has the reverse driving light switch on the side, and this one has the switch on the rear like the dogleg 5 speed ?? I am very confused, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.bilgalleri.dk/marked/storbil ... ?n=6986176

Thanks.
With best regards
RUH