Hazard warning light switch - howto on p. 2

demk1
E21 starter

Hazard warning light switch - howto on p. 2

Post by demk1 »

mines broken

its the square fitting with round button.

316 1983

[img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a236/de3660/mycarnewbumper-1.png[/img]

SELLING MY E21 (picture above)
Gagumph
Newbee

Post by Gagumph »

they all break ....they're rubbish http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4099
demk1
E21 starter

Post by demk1 »

lol, mines held in with a bit of metal bent over, i didnt do it, it bought it like that.
so yeah seems common.nice

superj
E21 starter

Post by superj »

even the ones on the e24s are crappy. my dad's 635csi has the same trouble
[img]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/busemans/cristinaavatar.jpg[/img]

this could be great tattoo
Danny043
E21 Pro

Post by Danny043 »

The switch in my car was broken as well when I bought it. The previous owner put a screw in it to hold the switch in it's position. But because of that it was impossible to turn the hazards on :evil:

I took the switch apart and fixed it (nice little tip, you can just pull the switch out of the centre console, or get your hand behind it and push. I took half my centre console apart for nothing :lol: )

A couple of days later I found a website with pictures and text that explained how to fix the switch. So I wasn't the only one with this problem. I saved the pictures, but lost the website... I've put the pictures on my webspace.

Then one day, 2 weeks after I fixed the switch, I opened my curtains and saw my car outside with blinking hazard lights :evil: So I fixed the switch again and it hasn't happened again in half a year. I bought an extra switch as spare and put it in my car, in case the damn hazards go on while I'm on the road.

Anyway here are those pictures from that website:

... dead link, see page 2 of this thread for the pictures...
Jason_323i
E21 Pro
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/e21jason

Post by Jason_323i »

Nice write up danny should be a sticky

Jason
BMW e21 race car supercharged s14 cage and fabrication by www.chizfab.com
Z3M Coupe
2.8 Z3 Coupe
Caterham Supersport
Clio 172 Cup factory race car(50%)
Ferrari 348 Challenge track car
Danny043
E21 Pro

Post by Danny043 »

Thanks, but like I said, those pictures aren't mine. I don't know if that website is still up. I searched for it a couple of times, but couldn't find it.
demk1
E21 starter

Post by demk1 »

:)

newbe77
Newbee

Post by newbe77 »

Found my car pretending to be broken down yesterday, hazards on for no reason. Took the switch out and proceeded to drive the car, and then I stupidly realised that I had no indicators! doh :oops: will try the procedure above to remedy, or may just nick the switch out of the other E21 for now.
newbe77
Newbee

Post by newbe77 »

I hate things broken, so I fixed it using the excellent photos above. I also found that the clear plastic skirt on the button was interfering with the black plastic part deep inside the main switch, so I trimmed off the damage and it slides so much better, before it was as if it was sticky. I would not suggest removing the whole clear plastic skirt as the spring will not be held in place properly. Also, careful when you bend the pin inwards as it could ovalise the black plastic it is fixed into and make the lever wobbly. I used a pair of side snips and clamped the lever between the jaws, so just bending the lever and not putting force on the plastic housing or the little pin at the end.
Will check in the morning to see if my work has been successful!
James
newbe77
Newbee

Post by newbe77 »

Job well done, haven't come on again. Just love it when you fix things right :D
jagclarke
Newbee

Post by jagclarke »

yeah i fized mine using that works fine now little fiddly tho. i had mine fail on m25 poped out and wouldnt push back in.
rookie48
Newbee

Post by rookie48 »

mine works in and out ok but the bulb inside the switch doesnt light up when the hazards flash and its failed the mot because of it.
Have checked the bulb and that has continuity so assume its something inside the switch.
Anyone any idea what the problem is and a fix -----or no mot .
Has anyone a good working spare for sale
Cheers guys
Rookie
k00l_guy77
Newbee

Re: Hazard warning light switch

Post by k00l_guy77 »

demk1 wrote:mines broken

its the square fitting with round button.

316 1983
hi
well i faced the same problem in my e21 when i 1st got it, thats y i got extra four hazard keys, i installed one in my car and work so good with the light of the dash bord it light when lights are on, and when u press it it work with hazard with higher light like on off on off on off on off , and i tested the extra 3 i got they work the same and good condition, i dont mind i can sell u one will probably cost u about 32 bristch pounds , and the charging is on u which can be a bout between 8 and 10, from egyot to london not sure , but its in tha round, u can send me replay if ur interstead and i can photo it them for u ,

have good day
kareem.
rookie48
Newbee

hazard switch

Post by rookie48 »

Had a fiddle to try and repair mine but in the end cut my losses and bought a new one for about 30 quid