Wilwood 4 pot fitting - walkthrough

nas80
E21 Mad

Wilwood 4 pot fitting - walkthrough

Post by nas80 »

HI Guys

I fitted my brakes on today and thought it would be a good idea to do a walkthrough. By the way I must tell you that if you have any sort of road accident or injury from following this then its not my fault.

DONT DO THIS JOB IF YOUR CLUELESS. Pay the labour!

Step 1

Gather tools and fittings you will need the following.

1. Angle Grinder with metal cutting and grinding disk
2. Assortment of spanners and sockets and allen keys.
3. Hammer n Chisel.
4. Thread lock fluid
5. Copper Grease
6. Some jacks / axle stands.
7. Two 10mm female fittings unions.
8. Copper brake pipe (you can use the old one if its straight!)
9. Brake pipe flaring tool
10. A friend to help you bleed the brakes.

Make sure you will have everything you need before undertaking the job as you dont really want to bugger about mid through going to the shop!

I bought new disks and gave them a spray with some spray bleach to get the oil coating off them.

Get your car in the air and remove the wheels.

Then you have to remove your old brakes and disks.

Ok now you will have to clean up the hubs - this is important.

If your dust shield hasnt rusted and fallen off already then is a right pain to get off as the bolts are usually rusted - this is were the angle grinder comes in!

Once removed...

Now theres a tab under the caliper mount which needs to be removed.. Short work with a cutting disk .

Now I found that i had to cut the old caliper bolts down because they are too long and were fouling the disks.. I suppose you could use a few thick washers but instead i decided to cut them shorter with the angle grinder - you only need to take about 3/4 threads off the end.

this then gives you a good few mm of clearence.

Fit everything together and then see how it looks - tighten up the disk to the hub and give it a spin. Check for any run out - any more then 0.10 then you got problems.

Hopefully you should have something that looks like this

ok then if your happy about the fitting then apply thread lock and attach the caliper to the mount.

Copper grease on the back of the pads then fit accordingly.

Now you get to have some fun with a brake pipe. You might need a few attempts to get this right but id do it on some scrap pipe to begin with.

Double flare the female end, and then bend to shape - i used a big socket to stop the pipe from kinking.

Now make sure the brake pipe is tightened on properly and then double check both sides to make sure you havent missed anything.

This is good a time to have a break. the next job is bleeding the brakes.

I had a friend to help me but if you dont have one of these then you can get a one man brake bleeding kit - you can even buy one that does four pots!

i bled the outside top nipple then the inside top bleed nipples - start with the caliper the furthest away and then work on the nearer one.

Make sure your brake pedal is nice and firm and doesnt feel squishy.

Then its time for the all important test. i started off goin back n forth and then up n down the street and then check for leaks.

im very impressed with the brakes - i went round the block a couple of times but they will need bedding in, alrady though i can tell that they are much more better than the stock effort but then thats probably obvious.

naturally i may not have been able to be totally anal about the instructions but it isnt a difficult job - if you need to know anything in particular just ask.

ac/dennis
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by ac/dennis »

Great write up!

Dont have 'm myselve, but a joy to read.
Doesnt look like its a difficult thing to do.

Nomination for a sticky!
--ALPINA--
E21 Pro

Post by --ALPINA-- »

nice right up, with the back plates, i think with a little work with the grinder they can be shaped and kept on really so i reckon theres no need to grind them off unless im wrong.. but for people who can fit brakes may have problem with the piping work as you need tools e.t.c., below is a picture of my gear with proper braded brake line pipes and perfect banjo fitment which are flexible, i recommend these as they are plug and play then bleed...

(- (- (- ---- Project 911 on the hunt ----) -) -)
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

Good work chaps.
Silver Surfer
E21 Fanatic

Post by Silver Surfer »

Top stuff. Great write up.
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

those braided lines look the business! very handy getting them made if you dont have the tool or a local garage that can do the pipes for you.
Mihajlo
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 1982 315swap323i

Post by Mihajlo »

Great stuff!
Make this topic sticky!
Someday, I'll do the same on my car!

I' watching pics and I can't not to notice wired position of the spring ona strut...

Is that good position or is just spring moved because car is on the jack? :wink:
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Jimi,

Where did you get the hoses or where did you hve them made? Looks like the way I'd want to go!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
--ALPINA--
E21 Pro

Post by --ALPINA-- »

jereon, they are the best way to go, ok i got them imported from the US from metric motorsport..

J
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

OK can you supply us with the details: fittings, length? Think I can order 3 sets for the dutch fanatics already.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
323baur
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by 323baur »

:shock: 8) Yes you can!
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
gerrit323
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 e21 323i hartge

Post by gerrit323 »

Count me in :!:
1992 Mazda mx5
1994 e36 m3
2015 Renault Mégane RS 275 trophy
2019 Abarth esseesse
2020 caterham 310R
2021 ford custom sportvan

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thielema ... 1227513195
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

you can get braided hoses made up from any braided hose supplier in the uk - theres a few of them. I didnt get them as i have the tools for copper pipe.

mihajlo - im running on chops temporarily while i get proper suspension sorted.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Need info on length and fittings, and perhaps some adresses... anyone? I'd like to use the steel braided hoses...
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
--ALPINA--
E21 Pro

Post by --ALPINA-- »

The length would be about what the original brake piping would be, nothing more or less if you think about it, another website i found that may do the piping is below, and with metricmotorsport, there website is down as i tried the other day, but will post..

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/Store ... =386100411
http://www.metricmotorsport.com/

j