e30 Speedo Not Working

e21Keith
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): '81 323i Manual

e30 Speedo Not Working

Post by e21Keith »

I have seen people change the sensor and even the instrument cluster to repair an e30 speedo that isn't working, however the problem is usually with the plug and wiring to the sensor on the diff.
Repairing mine today and I found the parts a little difficult to track down as the diagram for the e30 doesn't show them, this is what you will need to order.

61 13 1 378 417 Housing
61 13 0 007 445 Round plug (actually it's a cable with a plug on it)
61 13 0 007 446 Socket (actually it's a cable with a plug on it)

To do the job properly I would recommend soldering the plug and using some heat shrink to protect the join in the loom from moisture. You will also need to make sure the pins on the back of the sensor are clean and protected from corrosion.

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: e30 Speedo Not Working

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks for some useful info!

If more instruments in the cluster fail, it may very well be caused by the Service Interval circuit. Especially the older clusters with AA size NiCd backup cells can cause issues. Sometimes it is sufficient to replace them, in some cases leaking cells may have caused significant damage to the printed circuit board and you're better off replacing it as a whole. These are available from the dealer but at quite a price (believe close to 200 Euros these days) so it may be a lot cheaper to get a used pcb and give it a few fresh cells.

How to diagnose as well: Inspectio or Inspektion light coming on, even after you've just resetted it, or a clock symbol.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic

Post by e21Keith »

So my repair has been only a partial success.

The speedo now works but only intermittently. Seems ok for 10 minutes then stops, any ideas?

The instrument cluster seems to work ok, reset the service interval display today.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Ni Inspection light or clock symbol coming on? All other instruments working fine? Could still be the backup cells. You can do a few checks, open up the cluster to check for damage and putting it back together will at least cure corroded contacts.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic

Post by e21Keith »

Instrument cluster is all good except a flashing brake wear indicator, but the sensors are dangling underneath the car, so assume this to be the problem.

I'll pull the instrument cluster out on Thursday and have a look, give me a chance to fit my very famous M-Tec 2 steering wheel.

My M-Tec 2 steering wheel came from the e30 cabriolet driven by Richard Hammond in the Top Gear e30 challenge. Forensic examination of the vehicle revealed that there was faecal matter inside and after this Mr Hammond wore a face mask. After the show the car was scrapped at Dean Wood in Aldershot and I retrieved the steering wheel. Now cleaned with bleach the wheel will adorn the interior of my e30!
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Haha of I remember the investigation by Manlove Forensics very lively haha, didn't he also find feces in the car? :sealed
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic

Post by e21Keith »

Yes he did find poo in the car.

In the programme Clarkson's car had very poor brakes which is strange because it had new discs and pads all round.

In the final scene the cars are used in a public display as the "Dukes of Harlow" display team, they all reverse into the display area and collide, the boot floor and rear chassis legs had been cut out of the cars to make the accident appear more serious.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

It's one big show haha!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21Keith
E21 Fanatic

Post by e21Keith »

Been busy with work and a couple of family issues. So time for an update.

I haven't sorted the speedo yet but I have done the rear discs and pads with front discs and pads ready to fit. Maybe the new sensor cables will sort the light on the dash!

The non working roof. I bought a kit from Germany for just over £40, beats the £140 being charged on ebay.co.uk currently.

I also bought a set of BBS 15s with centre caps to replace the kerbed items on the car