Classic Days Schloss Dyck 2015, Jul 31-Aug 2

Direct links: 2023 Calendar & reports ; All previous event reports
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Classic Days Schloss Dyck 2015, Jul 31-Aug 2

Post by Jeroen »

This fabulous party will be celebrating its 10th anniversary this year and some special activities are being planned, including the presence of Sir Stirling Moss and we will see the mightly Auto Union Typ C, the 360 BHP V16 from 1935 in action. What more to expect from this event? Check out our own report on the 2014 edition!

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Re: Classic Days Schloss Dyck 2015, Jul 31-Aug 2

Post by Jeroen »

Back from a lovely event again! Event was huge again and drew many people. Usually the most exotic stuff is displayed on the island in front of the actual castle, but this year this area was used for a catwalk, a couple of tents and a collection of Bristol automobiles. Perhaps this was the reason we didn't see the real concourse winners we saw the past years, but nevertheless there was enough wonderful stuff on display, from the very first De Dion Bouton until cars from early this century. Also, nice action on the Rundstrecke (H-J Stück really drove the creases out of my pants pushing his 1990 Audi 200 V8 DTM Championship car hard) and many legendary drivers. Ran into forum members Martin and Gerrit as well and the weather was fine, so I'm looking back on a great weekend! Hope to be able to process some photos the upcoming days but here's a start!

Familiar face huh? Hans-Joachim 'Strietzel' Stück who has driven so many BMW's including many E21 Group 5 racecars. A true racing legend.

We didn't check out all the club meets in the surrounds but we did find two very sweet E21's on the main fields, both 320/6's

And this has been one of the most impressive encounters in my life (and I've met a few including Piquet, Senna and Lauda). Sir Stirling Moss who -among so many legendary other achievements- won the 1955 Mille Miglia in a way that is still unsurpassed. I feel privileged!

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Perhaps Sir Stirling Moss is even more of a legend at home as he is here, most people know him, but don't know from what achievements. A few words then.

Moss (1929), who raced from 1948 to 1962, won 212 of the 529 races he entered, including 16 Formula One Grands Prix. He would compete in as many as 62 races in a single year and drove 84 different makes of car over the course of his racing career, including Cooper 500, ERA, Lotus, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and Vanwall single-seaters, Aston Martin, Maserati, Ferrari, Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz sports cars, and Jaguar saloons. Like many drivers of the era, he competed in several formulae, often even on the same day. Just looking at 1950's and 1960's footage you see him and other great names like Fangio, Ascari, Brabham and Hill. That makes you realize what he has seen and done! More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_Moss

There are zillions of books and stories on him but one event was highlighted the past weekend, and that was the epic win of the 1955 Mille Miglia in the Mercedes 300 SLR averaging 160km/h!!! I can't stop fantasizing what that must have been like and even though we can come up with some things like the limitations when it comes to roadholding, drum brakes, the weight of the car, slowly being cooked by that metall shell, I think we can't even half imagine what that has been like. And then record taht average in a race lasting over 10 hours with only fuel stops, on roads we wouldn't dare drive on nowadays. Shivers down my spine and deep, deep respect.

Moss' co-driver was journalist Dennis Jenkinson and he wrote a brilliant article on the race, read it here: http://www.foodman123.com/moss.htm

Image borrowed from the article linked above

What's more to us :wink: is that Stirling Moss once test drove the E21 TC-1 Baur and wrote an article about it! Find it here at Baurspotting: http://baurspotting.blogspot.nl/2012/08 ... -baur.html

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
gerrit323
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 e21 323i hartge

Post by gerrit323 »

I enjoyed this event once more .. Perfect location, nice weather an vintage cars .. the huge collection of bentleys was fantastic, Always happy to see a couple of GP bugatti's too ..
to finish off this nice event we had nice chat with Jeroen, Tamara, Martin and girlfriend

Up to next years edition :thumbsup
1992 Mazda mx5
1994 e36 m3
2015 Renault Mégane RS 275 trophy
2019 Abarth esseesse
2020 caterham 310R
2021 ford custom sportvan

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thielema ... 1227513195
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

A few more pics...

Testing the quality and enjoying the extreme perspective on my new super wideangle lens

Adding some ancient atmosphere in the Bugatti corner

Celebration of the rich Peugeot atmosphere on the track was a farce with only one car participating... I guess all others broke down. A tasty 205 Turbo 16 but still...

Engine smoke versus tyre smoke but still I saw a lot of jealous faces when the two blondes drove by in the 250 GTO

Every once in a while Audi, or in this case Auto Union, got something right :wink: and Frank Biela was eager to show that off in the Type D

Being in the sidecar apparently is a tough job haha

More playing with the new wideangle

Sir Stirling Moss and Jaguar legend Norman Dewis reminiscing the good old days. Tamara sneaked upon them and took this brilliant shot!

Loads of great action on the Rundstrecke

Better finish this post with a BMW... a Frazer Nash built 319 in this case

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Great! Wide angle seems to make nice pics to! Not to round, not to fishbowl.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks! Same opinion here, the distorted picture a fisheye lens produces is nice for one or two photos a year, but this is much more useful. Several people informed me that the results of this Tokina lens match those of the professional Nikon example that is more than twice the price and I think they're right. No extreme distortions or anomalies, sharp and colorful. Me happy!

And the event was fabulous as well. If you compare this with the sad pictures I saw from the Nationaal Oldtimer Festival at Zandvoort I'm real glad I stayed around the castle!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

And our report on this event can be found in the Feb 16 issue of BMW Car Mag!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Oops one of the many photo reports I still had to share with you, is the one on the 2015 Schloss Dyck. With this year's edition coming up in less than a month it's about time then!

Fell in love here :wink:

Stück and Moss at autograph session

LTE F3 car powered by BMW boxer engine

and there were more using this engine type! Like this Monopoletta

And the Cooper T18

205 T16 road version

Some action now!

And finally two BMW 328 based Veritas racers

Regards/groeten, Jeroen