Conor's 1983 316

conor1992
Newbee
My E21(s): 1983 316

Conor's 1983 316

Post by conor1992 »

I guys, new to this forum and to E21 ownership, I used to own an E28 520i but never got round to modifying it or playing with it in any way, so i don't have a particularly extensive history of BMWs. I always wanted an E30 but the prices they go for now are just too much. I was scrolling eBay looking for anything cool Mk1/2 Golfs, 205 GTIs, even Volvos. Initially i wanted something quick that I could take to track days, but then i randomly came across this and it was affordable, I would have thought they would be worth more than E30s being older and less available but apparently not. I went to look at it 4 weeks and collected it about 3 weeks ago.

It's on Gaz coilovers and Ronal Turbo R10s. She's structurally sound but the paint needs attention as well as a few areas of surface rust. the sunroof is siliconed shut as it leaks, so that needs addressing. She's had new genuine fuel tanks fitted also which is peace of mind. There's invoices in the history for new rear arches, new front arches (they didn't manage to get the colour match right on the fronts as you can tell from some of the photos). The brakes are absolutely pants, I fitted new bleed nipples and bled the system through but couldn't stop air coming through on the nsr calliper, and they're no better than they were before, so I've ordered a new master cylinder which will hopefully cure the problem. There's no pedal feel until its basically touching the floor, however if you pump them, the brakes become very effective, I had a similar issue on an old Mk2 Fiesta and it turned out to be the MC, if anyone has any other ideas I would be grateful too hear them.

The other night the exhaust sheared off between the down pip and centre box so its going for a custom stainless system on Wednesday.

Plans for the car are to polybush it, I don't see the point in replacing the bushes with standard items when i intend on fitting an M42 as well. The bumpers are pitted so will look into getting them repaired and re-chromed unless anyone else has any good condition items that they're looking to sell, I've not struggled to find parts for a car in the past as much as I am with this. I also prefer the look of the single headlight grilles, provided I'm lucky enough to find one, I'm assuming it will fit, am I right in thinking they're from the earlier models? Finally I intend on getting some splits and fitting some better brake callipers and discs too.

Obligatory new owner petrol station photo:

Took it for a little road trip to the New Forest:

Thegs
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '78 320/6 4-sp
'80 323i 5-sp

Re: Conor's 1983 316

Post by Thegs »

You use spacers to fit the Ronal wheels?
Regards, Gerwin

1980 BMW E21 323i in Hennarot
1985 BMW E23 735i EXE in Zobelbraun
1988 BMW E34 535iA in Lachssilber
2008 BMW E91 320dA in Monacoblau
2009 BMW E60 523iA in Sapphireschwarz
conor1992
Newbee
My E21(s): 1983 316

Re: Conor's 1983 316

Post by conor1992 »

Thegs wrote:You use spacers to fit the Ronal wheels?
Yeah there's hubcentric spacers on the rear and just standard ones with longer bolts on the front, haven't measured what thickness they are, they came fitted to the car and won't be staying too long