TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 83 320i, 95 325i Spec 3 Race Car

Re: NASA Spec 3 Build: 95 325i

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

nic65 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:36 am garagistic sells kits to do this

https://www.garagistic.com/collections/ ... ing-delete
I'm not putting Garagistic parts on my race car :D

Again, no one does this and it's a bad idea to make more work for yourself.

--------

NASA Northeast! NJMP!

Thunderbolt is amazing. Such a fun and unique track and the facilities are superb. I wasn't expecting everything to be as nice as it is, but everything was top notch. The timing tower view is crazy cool, the officer's club is nice, and that's the best pro shop I've ever seen. So many garages and villas and power poles at every paddock spot! The course itself is very tricky but also very rewarding when you get it right. Hard braking into T1 with a near flat footed run through T2-T4 is really neat, then a very slow turn 5 with a high speed turn at 6 with a lot of run off begs you to push it harder and harder... then the octopus! Such a cool turn. So low speed and so long! Fighting for grip the whole time and if you get it right, it gives you a chance for a run down the front stretch to pass.

That said, I had never been here before, so it was a lot to learn quickly. The other folks did test and tune Friday and warm up Saturday was my first shot at the track. I ran a 1:37 to start, which is 4 seconds off the SE30 track record of 1:34 something, which was my goal all weekend. I got down to a 1:36 in the race Saturday and snagged my first win!

Sunday was very interesting. Northeast does a qualifying race with a rolling start, and I started in the wrong gear. Ed pulled past me and I followed him with the plan to keep just enough pressure to make him make a mistake and capitalize. I snuck by him a few laps in and then focused on pushing my lap times down. I was dropping a few tenths every lap until I ran a couple 1:35s and then pushed off track and through the grass. I checked my mirrors and realized no one was around me anymore so I backed it down by a lot and cruised to the finish. The whole weekend, I had been nursing 4 completely bald tires, crossing my fingers they wouldn't cord in the race, and I certainly didn't want to burn them in a qual race. I'm very confident a 1:34 or 1:33 was in the works with a little more time and some tires that had rubber.

Then the torrential rain came. It rained for at least two hours and completely flooded the place. Water flowing through the paddock and the track was under water. The race approached and the sun came out, causing us all to debate whether rain tires were the move. We all opted for the drys and went to grid. When we went out on track, there was standing water everywhere so we all were crawling around the track just trying to keep the cars pointing forward. Edward got passed me on the start (again I was in third gear when I should have been in second for the rolling start) but then he pushed wide in T1 and I passed. We fought back and forth for the whole race as the track dried but I had mentally decided this was not the race to push the car or bin it in a wall, so when I saw Ed go for a late pass on the inside into the Octopus, I gave him a wide berth and decided it was best to live to fight another day. Plus, it'd be fun to try to get around him again. I bided my time waiting for the white flag for one final push and I got a run on him coming down the front straight on the last lap to go across the finish line door to door. Official timing shows me one tenth of a second behind at the finish.

Overall, a very fun weekend at a great track. Hoping to get a field for Watkins Glen in October.

2011 F150
1995 BMW 325i Spec 3 Race Car
2008 BMW 128i 6 Speed Sport Package
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

So close! Challenging weekend!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

Watkins Glen!

Unfortunately, the freshly formed Spec3 Northeast contingent all had other obligations and couldn't make it to this event. I, however, would not miss an event at WGI unless I was dead. WGI is a world class track full of rich history and is a BLAST to drive. Luckily, someone that was eyeing joining us in NE bought a turn key Spec3 and wanted to join me at WGI a week after purchasing the car, but the licensing from SCCA didn't come together like we had hoped, so they ended up running HPDE and I switched to ST5. A Spec3 slots into ST5 fine, but when going up to completely min/max'd E36 M3s and BRZs, there's no shot.

The first day I finished 4th after battling for third and running up on a great Spec Miata battle. I knew I wasn't racing for anything, so I backed off and just followed the Spec Miatas for the last 3 laps as to not interrupt them. However, on Sunday, I was battling for second place, so I kept the hammer down until the same Miata traffic separated me and P2, at which point he pulled away in the final laps. I brought my girlfriend and my dog, and also discovered that my trailer AC unit DOES HAVE HEAT! It was a great time all around and I had the best sandwich I've ever eaten at Nickel's BBQ Pit.

I beat my personal best from April (2:17) with a 2:15.3 or so. Shooting for low 2:14 next year and hoping to beat the track record of 2:13.8 or so eventually.

2011 F150
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC
TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

October VIR 2022 and Mid Atlantic Season Finale. Personal Best 2:14.138 so close to 2:13!

I came into the weekend in 4th place for the season championship. I snagged a P2 finish in the first race Saturday and a P3 in the second race to close the season. This brought me within a race's points of 3rd and 2nd for the season. So many things I could have done to make up those points during the season!

On to NJMP next weekend for the closing of the Northeast season and then Road Atlanta in September for my first Southeast event!
2011 F150
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Taylor goes faster and faster!!
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Haha well buddy, all good experiences and a nice build up for next season!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

Jeroen wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:16 am Haha well buddy, all good experiences and a nice build up for next season!
Absolutely! The only thing I'd trade the racing for would be some more time in an E21 :D
2011 F150
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC
TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

The busy year stays busy! Final event of the NASA Northeast season. Unfortunately we only had two Spec3s (we are a full year ahead of when I expected to have a NE field!). This was my first time at NJMP Lightning so I did the test and tune on Friday to get my bearings. I was aiming to beat the SpecE30 track record (That was set a lot time ago on much better pavement!) and I managed to do that in my second session out Friday with a 2:17.8. However, our track records only count if they are in a race. I was trying to run down this time all weekend and was never able to consistently run sub 2:18 after that. I was still faster than any other class in Lightning except some of Honda Challenge, so I knew I was doing alright.

During the race, we started mixed with SpecE30 based on time since both classes were light on entries, so I started on pole. We had a rolling start (Also because so few racers on track total) and I pulled away when the green flag dropped and never looked back. I didn't have my rear facing camera on, but you can just imagine I was just by myself the whole time. Basically a TT session.

Car is still running strong. I unloaded the trailer and dropped it off at a trailer shop for some maintenance. I'll be working on the car a bit to clean it up before heading to Road Atlanta the first weekend of December.

Fast lap:

Race:

2011 F150
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC
TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

The long slumber ends!

My offseason "To do" list was big. I didn't do all of it :D This was my first off season that didn't require any engine shenanigans so I took time to enjoy life, traveled a bit, picked up guitar, etc. Now it's back to the grind.

First thing was a new windshield. I've been rocking the 30 year old glass forever and it was pitted and cracked all over. Happy to finally be able to see again.

I noticed my window net had expired (I've been racing that long?) so I installed a new one and changed it from the balljoint and rod style to the "wrap around the door bar" style, so hopefully that'll make egress better. My suite would always catch on the lower bar.

My front bumper has been saggy since my meeting with a tire wall during comp school and I attribute it to bent bumper shocks or maybe a slightly tweaked frame rail. I tried to bend it back with a jack and piece of wood and ultimately settled on just drilling new holes in the bumper core bar for the bumper skin to sit higher and moving on. I also replaced the screw in tow hook with a strap style wrapped around the bumper shock.

Fresh engine oil, diff oil, and transmission oil. Everything was fine except the transmission which had a LOT of metal in it, but no chunks. It shifts fine and doesn't pop out of gear, so I'll just start changing fluid twice a season or maybe three times considering how often I race, and monitoring from there. These transmissions are cheap (yay Spec3) so I always have a spare with me in the bed of the truck and it's an easy swap regardless.

New pads and rotors along with a fresh brake bleed has the pedal feeling very nice as well.

I then set in to nut and bolt everything and I stepped up my game from a silver sharpie to a "torque paint pen". I found my rear subframe, engine mounts, and transmission mounts were all loose even though my sharpie markings indicated no movement of the bolts. Perhaps the bushings shrunk or were squished? At any rate, the clunking in the driveline is completely gone. I'm embarrassed I didn't fix this sooner. I also found my rear sway bar had completely popped out of the bracket. I wonder how long I was running like that?

My car has been leak free for a while, but developed a small drip from the power steering rack. I've been religiously checking the hoses, thinking that was my problem, but I think I finally tracked it down to the pinion seal on the rack itself. Not a huge deal for now, but I'm looking to source a new rack to have on hand for when the time comes. It seems rack doctor is no more, so a reman unit should be just fine.

Lastly, I found a shop by my house that I can just take service roads to with zero traffic so I popped by there for an alignment (first in like a year) and found that I have way more front camber than I expected. Good for me I guess?

March VIR in a week and then a busy year of 13 race weekends planned between Northeast and Mid Atlantic! Let's do it!

2011 F150
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Sounds like you're ready for another season of fun mate! Just swap the steering rack at some point, but nothing urgent yet I guess.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

Jeroen wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:21 pm Sounds like you're ready for another season of fun mate! Just swap the steering rack at some point, but nothing urgent yet I guess.
Yup. I ordered a rebuilt unit since RackDoctor doesn't seem like a solid option here anymore. Hoping to install after this first event.
2011 F150
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC
TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

Three race weekends flew by! 

VIR is a blur, but my goal was a podium and a new PB (previous best being 2:14.1 set in October). Long story short, I matched my PB a bunch of times but I'm still not pleased with my performance. I'm a good 2 seconds off the front 3 guys and I want to be faster. The car is still over weight with me in it by 50 lbs at best with an empty tank, so I need to lose weight personally. I finished 4th and 3rd or something like that after a crash out and some contact by other folks in the field. 

I had a grinding noise all weekend that I thought was my rear brakes. It was not. More on that later.

Replaced the rear pads because they had some really weird wear and I thought they were making a noise. Threw a new steering rack in the car to stop the leaks, and headed to Summit Point. Saturday warm up was fine, but the noise was still there. I checked the wheel bearings and everything felt tight. I let someone do parade laps at lunch in the car and it came back with a very wobbly rear wheel which ended my weekend. 

I got the car home sunday night and immediately set to work on disassembling the rear bearings as I only had 3 days before I had to leave for WGI. The rear driver wheel bearing was completely destroyed and came out in pieces. The balls went everywhere and the race/cage was destroyed. It was so bad that the axle ground itself down on the trailing arm and wore away some of the wheel speed sensor. I got the parts in Wednesday and worked all night to get it together. Had to source some wheel speed sensors locally after I damaged one pulling the bearing out. I got it all together and headed to WGI.

Friday was a test and tune and I helped one of my new Northeast Spec3 rookies work out the kinks in a car new to him. I jumped in his car to set some laps as a baseline to prove to him what was possible and gave him something to work towards. The track record for Spec3 is a 2:13 set by Charles Ford, so that is always my goal. After my first session, I came back in to find one of my tires completed delaminated or had a belt separate as it was swollen and bulging on one side. That's my fault for running tires from 2016. I swapped it out for some equally hard and crappy, but newer 2019 tires and kept working my times down. I got down to the low 2:17s before calling it an early day and visiting from distilleries with Rachel, Lemon the dog, and Rachel's friends. 

Saturday warm up was good and I turned a 2:16, and then in qualifying I turned a lower 2:16, all with bald left side tires with a million heat cycles. Then the rain came in and the lightning caused the track to be shut down long enough for them to cancel the races for the day. Sunday would be a double points race day. I swapped my tires side to side so I could have the two tires with life on them on the outside for most turns. We started the race and I quickly passed the ST6 cars ahead and worked my way through some of the Spec E46s as I came through turn 9 to see a car parked right on the racing line facing me (the yellow flag didn't come out in time for me to see it before turn in) and I just barely avoided balling up both of our cars. I then set out to churn some more laps and got down into the 2:15s to tie my personal best. I took the win in my class of 2.

The second race was postponed due to weather again and then the track was standing water. I love a rain race, but the rookie didn't bring rain tires, so he couldn't go out. 1 car doesn't make a class, and going into a race with no one to race against is poor sportsmanship as you're just someone in the way at that point. I packed up early and waiting for the race to end to make sure the SE46s had a clean race and I didn't need to DQ anyone. Then I headed home.

Next up is Hyperfest at VIR in mid May followed up NASA NE at NJMP with another Spec3 rookie (or 2!) doing comp school and running their first races with us the first weekend of June. 

To do list before then:
New wheel bearings up front
New brake pads up front
Mount new tires and rotate the old
New brake calipers on the rear

​​​​​​​Image

2011 F150
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Thanks for the write up buddy! Learning and improving all the time. Fresh rubber will also help, hope you can find some that are maxc 3-4 years old. I know it was always a struggle for me to find a source to get decent tyres. Hope you can do all the right preps for the Hyperfest!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
TaylorGoesFast
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Post by TaylorGoesFast »

Jeroen wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:39 am Thanks for the write up buddy! Learning and improving all the time. Fresh rubber will also help, hope you can find some that are maxc 3-4 years old. I know it was always a struggle for me to find a source to get decent tyres. Hope you can do all the right preps for the Hyperfest!
Thanks!

Yeah, depending on the region I'm in, new tires are more or less important. Hyperfest at VIR will be important and have a big field, so I'll use some newer stuff.

---

Replaced both front wheel bearings and the 30 year old units I pulled out still seemed fine, so those will be good spares.

I replaced the rear calipers as well trying to chase the PERFECT pedal feel. The rears were working fine, but there's no reason to leave the 30 year old calipers on there anymore with new stuff everywhere else.

I also finally got around the installing brass caliper bushings into the new calipers I have on the front. Due to casting defects, I wasn't able to press them in before without spending a lot of time sanding and filing to get the holes correctly sized to slide in the the new bushings.

To cap it all off, I also replaced all 4 of my 15 year old shocks. My front left was so blown that it wouldn't rebound at all and it would sink down into the shock body on its own. Hopefully having a functional suspension will help me snag another PB this next weekend at VIR.
2011 F150
1983 BMW 320i
2005 Kinetic SC