E21 318i crank issues

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
Niceman
Newbee
My E21(s): '82 318i Auto

E21 318i crank issues

Post by Niceman »

Hey folks, new here. I've had a search and tried all the things that people have suggested to no avail.

Just got possession of an 1982 e21 318i Auto.

It was running when I bought it, started well.

It had a huge exhaust leak so I drove it a km down the road. When I got there I tried to start it again and it would crank but not fire. Then after looking around the engine bay it wouldn't even crank, starter motor not turning on.

Turn the key, dash lights come on and turn to start and nothing. A click of a relay in the engine bay but that's all.

I have checked all the earth connections, cleaned them all and still happening.

I looked at the switch at the back of the ignition barrel and the whole thing fell apart in my hands.

So I rigged up a couple switches and hot wired the car. I really thought the ignition was the problem and it would crank but nothing. Dash lights turn on but starter motor doesn't crank.

It would seem coincidental that it was the starter motor considering it was working perfectly when I was trying to get the car to start previously. I feel like it's something electrical but I can't work out what it is.

Thanks for any help, I'm really green to these cars and it's been many years since I've had a project car. Already feeling over my head. Cheers.

Niceman
Newbee
My E21(s): '82 318i Auto

Re: E21 318i crank issues

Post by Niceman »

Also, just another thing. If I bridge between the positive of the solenoid to the wire that connects to the starter motor, the starter motor runs.

If I bridge between the positive and the spade terminal on the solenoid nothing happens. I kind of expect that it should crank over then?