Outer tie rod rubbing wheel?

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
Leinho
Newbee
My E21(s): `80 320/6 Manual

Outer tie rod rubbing wheel?

Post by Leinho »

Hello friends. After fitting a set of 15 inch Bbs rm which are 15 x 6, Ive been having an issue when turning left. The outer tie rod rubs the inner lip of the wheel. I already had 10mm spacers. I will be adding a 15mm spacer but I thought that with a 6 inch wide wheel it wouldn'r rub at all.
Did some of you have the same trouble? may be something wrong with the tie rod end? Car alignment seems on point. Are the 13 inch OEM wheel so slim??? :hammer

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Outer tie rod rubbing wheel?

Post by Jeroen »

The wheel offset may be incorrect, causing the heart to be too close to the tie rod end (as that is the part that sticks out the most). Even on a 6J wide rim an offset (ET) of around 12mm is recommended. But there could be another issue as well: being a tight fit, balancing lead can be in the way as well. Usually placing the lead abt 1 cm more inwards fixes the issue.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Leinho
Newbee
My E21(s): `80 320/6 Manual

Re: Outer tie rod rubbing wheel?

Post by Leinho »

Jeroen wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:36 am The wheel offset may be incorrect, causing the heart to be too close to the tie rod end (as that is the part that sticks out the most). Even on a 6J wide rim an offset (ET) of around 12mm is recommended. But there could be another issue as well: being a tight fit, balancing lead can be in the way as well. Usually placing the lead abt 1 cm more inwards fixes the issue.
Thank you Jeroen. Yes, indeed when I bought these wheels didn't bother checking the offset. That might be the issue.
Anyway as they being new i will most likely be putting just a tiny bit wider spacers for the time being. :thumbsup

This is The first set of wheels that I buy for my 320 and I thought the 13s being so small, the 15s would fit.